Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   $1.49 a gallon - Who cares about FE? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/1-49-a-gallon-who-cares-about-fe-10536.html)

civic94 12-09-2008 11:00 AM

im waiting for gas to get lower so i can snatch a VX or HX for cheap. I have owned 4 bangers all my life, even when was was 1.05 a gal, all the way to 4.11 a gallon

dkjones96 12-09-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic94 (Post 125593)
I have owned 4 bangers all my life, even when was was 1.05 a gal, all the way to 4.11 a gallon

I'm on my first, and last, 4 banger... :thumbdown:

Jay2TheRescue 12-09-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northwoods (Post 125591)
I am looking for a good expalanation why we are seeing such cheap gas. THe fall off in demand just does not seem to be enough to warrent a 2X + reduction. If gas were $4 we would have to pay it. Try this on for size: oil co's drop price way down to eliminate alternatives by forcing them into bankupcy, then buy them up. Price goes back up once this is complete enough for them to control the alternatives market and either shut them down or bring them back when its convinient like when oil price gets so high that demand is choked off and we quit all but essential consumption.

That's what happened in the 80's...

R.I.D.E. 12-09-2008 02:15 PM

773 traffic deaths so far in Virginia this year. Last year it was over 1000 for the whole year. This weekend in a total 180 mile drive I saw 17 state troopers with people stopped on the interstate. The state is desperate for money so they have finally decided to nail the gross speeders.

The explanation is simple. OPEC realized they had gone to far with $4 a gallon gas and the resulting economic downturn. They would like to see $75 per barrel, but that would result in signifcantly lower consumption.

As long as Americans remain dedicated to better efficiency we will enjoy much lower gas prices, with importers actually having to compete for market share. Kind of like you and I compete for a wage.

Now if we can actually have the gonads to fix the real problem which is efficiency, we will bury the Cartel and make them compete for income the way we have had to compete all our lives.

RIP ripoff Cartel.

regards
gary

theholycow 12-09-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic94 (Post 125593)
im waiting for gas to get lower so i can snatch a VX or HX for cheap. I have owned 4 bangers all my life, even when was was 1.05 a gal, all the way to 4.11 a gallon

Why are you still waiting? I wouldn't bet on prices continuing to drop for much longer or even leveling out for long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjones96 (Post 125594)
I'm on my first, and last, 4 banger... :thumbdown:

I've never had less than 6 (and usually 8), but now I drive 5. I may try 4 some day. American 4-bangers don't seem too awful, my boss's Pontiac G6 doesn't feel or sound too cheesy.

Jay2TheRescue 12-09-2008 04:29 PM

I've always been partial to large vehicles because I have long legs. There was the K cars we've had, but we never took a small car on a trip. That's what we had the Bonneville wagon for. You just can't take 5 people and a dog on a trip in a K car.

For a period we had my grandmother's old commuter car, a 1981 AMC Spirit. Great, solid little car. 20+ gallon tank, Pontiac 151 4 cyl engine & 4 speed manual trans - that car went darn near 1,000 miles on a tank of gas. We would have kept it, but it didn't have a/c... :( No a/c may have been fine in Connecticut, but here in VA a/c is a must have...

-Jay

SCoupe 12-10-2008 07:22 AM

This price plundge certainly has taken the sting out of driving. It also allow me to fill my V-8 Tundra for the price of the VX just a few short months ago. I'll bias some miles to the Tundra to get a little more use from it and do some work that I'd been holding off on. The low prices also allow me to back off on the 16 year old 218k mile VX, pushing its useful life out to the next gas spike.

I'd love to see the USA tap its oil shale reserves and generally increase domestic oil drilling, but I'm afraid the pressure is off.

Jay2TheRescue 12-10-2008 07:33 AM

I'm still keeping the mileage off the truck. In 6 days (since my last fillup) I've driven the beast ~150 miles. I've been pushing a lot of my miles onto the BWH. Suprisingly, with more regular usage the car is running even better! It is shocking how smooth it sounds - especially for a 28 year old car.. (Its birthday is this month!)

-Jay

dkjones96 12-10-2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 125618)
(Its birthday is this month!)

People used to always make fun of me for knowing that my old car's manufacturing completion date was February 25th, 1988. It was a Thursday.

GasSavers_GasUser 12-10-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjones96 (Post 125619)
People used to always make fun of me for knowing that my old car's manufacturing completion date was February 25th, 1988. It was a Thursday.

haha.....mine was built on 5/13/05.....at 13:07 so just a few minutes after one pm.....and yes it was a Friday. Good thing I am not supersticious and it has been fine.....with no mechanical problems or anything....... haha

Not laughing at you, but just with you. One of the first things you should do is get your vehicles "build sheet" or whatever your particular mfg calls it. It is fast and free and tells you everything that was built into your vehicle at the date of mfg.....even gear ratios, which is good to know for FE purposes among many others.