Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   How far do you drive daily? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/how-far-do-you-drive-daily-4136.html)

VetteOwner 03-28-2007 11:18 AM

bout 18 miles every week day for classes all highway +1/2 for school roads. i can go 500 miles on one tank in my truck but i usually fill up when its around half which is bout every 2 weeks...

OdieTurbo 03-28-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr (Post 45365)
For everyone driving long distances everyday to work: You should really see if there is anyone to carpool with.

Reducing Miles + Increased MPG= $$$

Thought of that already. I can carpool with one guy, but he lives about 30 miles from me. I still have to drive 30 miles to his place. We also end up taking my car most of the time. He's got a '99 Subaru Outback that get's horrible FE with it's knobby tires and roof rack. At least he gives me gas money :D

I'll be moving out near his place this fall actually. Then we'll just do the "I drive one week, you drive the next" routine.

BumblingB 03-28-2007 05:55 PM

92 miles round trip 5 days a week......I do carpool, the wife and I go in together. I just adjusted my hours to work with hers.

cfg83 03-28-2007 06:05 PM

kickflipjr -

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr (Post 45365)
For everyone driving long distances everyday to work: You should really see if there is anyone to carpool with.

Reducing Miles + Increased MPG= $$$

I agree in principle, but no two days are ever alike for me. I never work 9-5. I burn the midnight oil one night and I have an 8 AM meeting the next morning. Life is a fluid mess for me (think Icee spill on the carpet).

I think there is a vanpool that I could buy into on a day-by-day basis, but I would have to get up early :mad: and drive 7 miles just to get to that :( . I could also take a train/bus, but that would probably be 2.5 hours one way, and I wouldn't feel safe using my computer on public transportation.

In the long run I will be trying to telecommute when possible. But not right now.

CarloSW2

Mike T 03-28-2007 06:16 PM

54 km a day total, but I ride the bicycle to work about 50-60 times a year, so that cuts it down a bit.

While a 27 km one way ride is perfect on the bike (47-50 minutes), in the car it is too short to get optimum fuel economy. Still, I usually average 3.5 to 3.7 L/100 on the commute.

95avusblue 03-30-2007 05:15 AM

I drive average of 260 miles a day, and the WRX mileage is killing me.

I am looking into a Civic, Accord, Mazda 3, corolla etc. The car has to be very comfortable for such long drives. If it can be somewhat fun to drive, that would be a bonus.

Any reccommendations?

PS, I sold the 89 integra due to the high strung cruising (high revs, and noise).

95avusblue 03-30-2007 05:19 AM

A friend suggested that I give Acura TSX a try as it was getting him 32-34 on highway. Although the car requires premium fuel, he says he ran 87 octane with no ill effects, I am concerned about long term effects of that.

Perhaps a civic may be better for the intention of running 87 octane.

rh77 03-30-2007 06:20 AM

Tessie

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95avusblue (Post 45545)
A friend suggested that I give Acura TSX a try as it was getting him 32-34 on highway. Although the car requires premium fuel, he says he ran 87 octane with no ill effects, I am concerned about long term effects of that.

Perhaps a civic may be better for the intention of running 87 octane.

I bought a new '06 and it has about 12K miles on it so far("Tessie" in the Garage -- view the GasLogs if you like).

We run Premium all the time because it's still pretty new, but I'm thinking about trying a lower-grade to see what happens.

What I noticed when renting a Volvo S40, was that it got considerably higher FE than expected, and it probably ran 87-Octane for its lifetime.

The same might be true with the TSX -- it may notice the lower octane levels and back-off fuel consumption. My wife drives the car primarily, and probably uses the VTEC RPM range once-a-month, if that -- so that may be where the requirement lies. It does have a higher compression ratio than similar displacement Honda variants, so there's a concern with detonation if it gets super-hot (but perhaps the knock or octane sensor will take care of that).

RH77

Bill in Houston 03-30-2007 07:11 AM

I'd get a 5-speed 1st generation Civic Hybrid. Or a 4-cylinder 5-speed Accord. But that's just me.

95avusblue 03-30-2007 04:32 PM

Thanks rh77, & Bill in Houston.

I am considering a manual Accord, manual Civic, Hybrid sounds good except I am apprehensive about cost of replacement batteries. Even considering manual Corollas, although I prefer Hondas.