Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   People Powered (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   GoblinAero 150 MPG coming soon (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f19/goblinaero-150-mpg-coming-soon-10528.html)

GoblinAero 12-06-2008 08:37 AM

GoblinAero 150 MPG coming soon

Our new vehicle can be seen at: www.goblinmotors.com

Deliveries begin in February of 2009.

Based upon a standard recumbent tricycle, it is available in either 35cc or 50cc Honda engine sizes.

Protection from the elements with front and rear aerodynamic fairings and capability to carry 5 bags of groceries.

Excellent braking power from over-sized 8" disc brakes and includes non-puncture tires.

You can pedal if you want to or use the power to get to work without breaking a sweat!

Later in 2009, a hybrid version will be available.

Best to all,

Jeff Bales
Tucson, Arizona

Lug_Nut 12-06-2008 09:56 AM

Solution in search of a problem

I have to ask what you see as a market for this.
Suburban commuters with under 10 miles travel each way? Gated community residents? High density urban metrosexuals? I really don't see how a traditional bicycle AND a small car can't be had for less cost than this and provide more practicality and equal miles per gallon.

GasSavers_SD26 12-06-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut (Post 125371)
I have to ask what you see as a market for this.
I really don't see how a traditional bicycle AND a small car can't be had for less cost than this and provide more practicality and equal miles per gallon.

I've thought the same thing about Hybrid cars. A bicycle and a rechargeable golf cart would work.

I think it's up to a manufacturer to make a risk though. That's capitalism. I'm not sure how many billions they are asking for on a bail out. I'm betting none. :thumbup:

Mike T 12-06-2008 07:47 PM

This is the People Powered forum, so why is something with a massively polluting small engine (like a leaf blower or lawn mower) in here? ;)

jeep45238 12-06-2008 08:28 PM

Get a moped and those small trailers for kids they sell that attach to bikes. Replace the kiddie seat with a box and you're good to go.

theholycow 12-07-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike T (Post 125413)
This is the People Powered forum, so why is something with a massively polluting small engine (like a leaf blower or lawn mower) in here? ;)

FWIW, the OP's website claims that their engine makes little pollution, is CARB approved, etc...

101mpg 12-07-2008 05:25 AM

Personally I wouldn't shell out 6 grand for something like this. That said, mopeds and recumbents ride TOTALLY differently. The back of the vehicle is going to be designed to hold five bags of groceries according to the manufacturer's website, which again you won't see on a moped.

While I think this ought to be more in the neighborhood of a grand or two, and I think it could be if mass-produced, likely you could get any number of customizations as each will be a hand-produced vehicle.

For the right person, this could be a great niche product. We'll have to see what happens.

Mike T 12-07-2008 10:33 AM

Meeting CARB standards for non-automotive engines and meeting the same standard as cars are two different things. But I ask again, why would anything with an engine be posted about here? This thread should be moved to a motorized sub-forum.

101mpg 12-07-2008 10:54 AM

The vehicle can be people-powered. It's fine.

Lug_Nut 12-07-2008 03:42 PM

And I can push my car...so what?