Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Average People Per Car (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/average-people-per-car-2206.html)

kickflipjr 05-27-2006 07:01 PM

Average People Per Car

While not directly related to fuel economy this shows the amount of cars with mutiple passangers. Today when I was eating at Taco Bell I decided to count the amount of pasangers I every car at the interesction i was parked at. *I did not count on cars with tinted windows. These are generally larger capacity vehicals such as SUVs/ Minivans. I hope that didn't sway results to much.* Also, I didn't count any Public transit Buses (there is no public transit routes on this road anyways).

Time: 7pm on a Saturday

Setting: Suburban Shopping Area

1 Pasanger : 35
2 Pasangers: 41
3 Pasangers: 17
4 Pasangers: 0
5 Pasangers: 3
6 (or more) Pasanger: 0

Total Cars Viewed: 96
Average: 1.906 Passangers per car

I think that this number would be lower on a major commuting route at 8am on a weekday.

SVOboy 05-27-2006 07:41 PM

I wonder now what the average seating capacity of those cars was. This seems like something to sit a camera on a road for an hour and just review the tape later, cuz I'm like that. Very interesting though. Carpooling is amazing, I did some of that on wednesday, other than that time there was no one to carpool, grr.

GasSavers_Ryland 05-28-2006 10:36 AM

what about a week day?

you were sitting there on a saterday, right? saterdays more people have the day off, and are spending time with family or friends, and are more likely to have another person in there car, I wonder how this would have changed on a monday.

tomauto 05-28-2006 11:53 AM

suv's

Everybody could drive a smaller car...Its just, they dont want to. The only people I really see the need to have a larger car are huge families (which we are seeing less and less of those types) and contractors/builders etc. The other owners just get them because the size gives them security, peace of mind, or the once a week jaunt to the mall for clothing.

I got stuck buying a 4 door becuase I have 3 brothers that needed a ride to school every morning...Well that and the outrageous price I payed!

thisisntjared 05-28-2006 07:19 PM

i want to know these figures with suv's, trucks, sedans, and coupes respectively.

kickflipjr 05-28-2006 07:30 PM

I think I will check people per vehical during rush hour on a weekday next.

I will also mark down vehical type (suv, minivan, sedan, coupe, truck) . I will also try to write down 200 or more vehicals.

That should take under an hour. I only spent 15minuets on the last viewing.
Cars come and go rather quickly.

thisisntjared 05-28-2006 07:37 PM

this is going to be good.:)

SVOboy 05-28-2006 07:39 PM

Good to the max.

Too bad I put my other seat in to carpool or I'd be running at 100% seating capacity, :p

95metro 05-29-2006 07:14 AM

In my city, at any point on any day there will probably be 3 to 5 trucks (as in V8 Rams, Silverados, and F-Series) ahead of or passing me and all carrying 1 person.

tomauto 05-29-2006 09:22 AM

Texas

Id say 1 in 4 people drive a car in Texas. I haven't seen anybody switching in my small town either.