Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   After jumping my other car my VX won't start up (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/after-jumping-my-other-car-my-vx-wont-start-up-14286.html)

sebass 05-26-2012 08:30 PM

After jumping my other car my VX won't start up

After jump starting my other car with my civic threw jumping cable my civic now won't start up. I had + to + and - to - on both batteries. It took good few minutes to start V8 Lex thew my VX and after i shut off vx it would not start up.

So i reversed the jump start and tried to jump start VX but it won't crank. Headlights turn on and all instrumentation panel lights up. I was able to run with VX forward jump in it put it in second gear and she started that way so now i'm thinking either i've blown starter fuse or some other electric fuse. So i changed or rather swapped 7.5A fuse where starter fuse is it. Still she won't crank. I was thinking it's batter fuse by batter terminal but headlights come on.

I'm scared sht1less i've killed starter. Did I? What else can it be? Aren't fuses for it to prevent that from happening? If they can't what are fuses good for then? If it's a starter how can an jump start kill starter. That's crazy!

Please guys help. If anyone's a mechanic please state so so i know. As always i greatly appriciate everyones input.

sebass 05-26-2012 09:46 PM

Re: After jumping my other car my VX won't start up

What in the world is this? I didn't see any rubber stopper there!!!! Just a hole into which this switch goes into and doesn't depress????

Won't Crank Problem - Check Rubber Stopper at Top of Clutch Pedal! (diagram)

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...945165ef73.jpg

Reference: Starter section
https://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1998336

sebass 05-26-2012 09:49 PM

I moved some cables around battery terminal and by starter and it started. I also fiddled with that switch showed in pictures but i'm unsure what really fixed it. If it's cable that it will probably happen again as there is no constant electric flow i would assume but this switch i do not understand. I will try to clean out cables by batter with wire brush but it also could be braking cable by starter. I really don't know what fixed it NOW IS THE ISSUE and i'm afraid it will happen again somewhere remote. On flip side i know how to jump her now without electrical system.

trollbait 05-27-2012 06:31 AM

I'm guessing the clutch pedal A switch is a safety interlock. Without it pressed in, the starter won't be engaged. If so, your fiddling probably lined it up to activate without the rubber bumper(which probably just crumbled over time), and the jump starting had no involvement.

That said, you shouldn't have the batteries - to - during a jump start. I've seen it done that way numerous times without problem, but something can get damaged that way. The order way of hooking up the batteries is; + dead battery, + live, - live, and the - line to a ground point on the dead battery car.

sebass 05-27-2012 11:18 AM

I'm thinking it was the cables. Maybe they were corroded or get corroded threw jump starts i did. I cleaned the cr@p out of them with brush, put protectors on bottom and greased ends and made sure it's tight as hell. We shall see later. Hope it won't happen again. At worst case she will run with me and i'll jump here threw running clutch and 2nd gear.

JanGeo 05-27-2012 11:18 AM

Did you by chance push the clutch in while not sitting normally in the car to start it up? You may have just by chance knocked the safety clutch bumper off.

sebass 05-27-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo (Post 167295)
Did you by chance push the clutch in while not sitting normally in the car to start it up? You may have just by chance knocked the safety clutch bumper off.

Possibly but since i saw this diagram i pressed the switch on and off and tried starting her with pressed and then pressed again, holding it etc. All ways. She wouldn't start. I don't have btw any rubber stopper there. It's only hole threw which that switch does into. I dunno. I also had to put 3 washers on screw of positive as it was moving around even before so maybe it lost connection completely. Now it won't move after 3 washers. Hope my experience will help others and if anyone else has any input please post :) Happy memorial day weekend. I got scared it's starter. I keep forgetting this is honda not VW.

add|ct 05-27-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 167291)
I'm guessing the clutch pedal A switch is a safety interlock. Without it pressed in, the starter won't be engaged. If so, your fiddling probably lined it up to activate without the rubber bumper(which probably just crumbled over time), and the jump starting had no involvement.

That said, you shouldn't have the batteries - to - during a jump start. I've seen it done that way numerous times without problem, but something can get damaged that way. The order way of hooking up the batteries is; + dead battery, + live, - live, and the - line to a ground point on the dead battery car.

I also wanted to comment that this is the correct way to jump off a car. Also, there should be no throttle increase from the 'host' during and present ignition to the FORWARD/ON position for the 'dead' system that needs jumping.

Only throttle increase while the dead battery is completely not being given any juice or having any current pulled as much as possible.

That's on a worst case scenario, like one of the cells nearest the post/terminals got really weak and needed a few minutes connected before it would attempt to crank over.

Also, I usually immediately remove the hot cable from 'dead' battery as soon as that car is started. Then remove the ground from that vehicle and lastly remove both at the host vehicle.

GasSavers_Erik 05-28-2012 04:15 AM

If it happens again, turn the blower on high when you turn the ignition to start. If the blower slows or stops when you try to crank the engine, then it is likely a poor connection at the battery.

Ford Man 05-28-2012 12:41 PM

If you had to add three washers to the battery terminal to get it to snug up on the battery post there's a 98% chance this was simply a connection related issue. If it was already lose, when you attached and removed the jumper cables from the good battery it probably moved the terminal in such a way you didn't have as good of connection. Any time after jumping a car, remove the cables as quickly as possible after the engine starts to help avoid damage to the alternator/charging system of the car. As for the rubber bumper, a couple of my cars have them on the brake pedal, there function on my cars is to hit the brake light switch and close the switch when the brake pedal is in the idle position. If the bumper breaks or comes off it doesn't close the switch and the brake lights stay on continually. The bumper broke up and fell off one of my cars about a year ago, instead of replacing it with another piece of rubber that would eventually deteriorate I just stuck a couple 1/16" thick x 3/8" diameter magnets together and attached them to the metal on the brake pedal and it's been working fine. I've also heard of people epoxying 2 pennies together then epoxying them to the brake pedal to hit the switch.

JanGeo 05-29-2012 07:07 AM

Ok the big question is . . . Do you loose power in the car when you turn the ignition switch to the crank position ? If yes then your connection to the battery is the first thing to check . . . Side or top posts? Like Erik said!

sebass 06-01-2012 09:57 PM

Thank you guys for all help. No i do not loose power when i crank her. Headlights are on and radio works fine.

So she wouldn't start on me again and i troubleshooted further by moving cables around the starter and it turns out that "black" cable (i think negative ?) that plugs into solenoid moves a little whole solenoid connector a little. Maybe IT DOES NOT but it seems like it does. I made the connector tighter by clamping female to male with pliers but that did help. I moved the solenoid connector toward cars rear and she started. Taped it to the hose with electrical tape. Not sure if that will last or not. It does not seem that it's female connector that plugs to male but the whole connector inside solenoid moves a little. If moved wrong way it looses connection therefore it does not start.......SO I THINK!? Other thing that crossed my mind is that perhaps something is grounding or shorting a connection to starter which is why starter would not start, but that would be negated by moving that cable as i said, unless that was coincidence.

Is there way to remedy this with soldering or any other way? If my explanation was poor let me know i can take a pic but i think i covered it.

My last resort would be to replace the starter but want to avoid that as i feel that starter is still very strong when cranking.
But if i would have to what would i need to disconnect, take off in order to freely take starter out?
I see this on honda tech but this isn't too much detailed. I see bunch of things like distributor that would be in the way ???
BTW i did redid and cleaned postive battery cable but i think i didn't faced it up like it shows. Is that a problem?
If needed what brand should i buy starter? Bosch? What brands should i avoid. They all re manufactured. I see some for $64 and some for 110. Differences?
What local store has best prices and best selection?.....but please if possible let me know if this connector by solenoid could be remedied some other way first?
Changing starter could always be done later.

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...b6d86fce11.jpg

Ford Man 06-02-2012 11:30 AM

I've bought Duralast starters from Auto Zone for some of my cars and never had to replace one of them. They are new, not rebuilt starters and come with a lifetime warranty so if it ever goes out again just take it back and get a new one free.

GasSavers_Erik 06-02-2012 05:40 PM

I have also had good luck with the Autozone duralast starters.

JanGeo 06-04-2012 12:21 PM

The next thing to check is if the solenoid clicks when you turn the key to the crank position. It moves the starter pinion gear into the flywheel ring gear and when it reaches the end of it's travel it makes contact with the head of that bolt/stud where the heavy battery cable is connected making power flow into the starter. If the contact surface of that stud is pitted or burned away it can make poor contact. Sometimes just taking it apart and turning it 180 degrees around will fix it by using the other half of the stud/bolt head. Another smaller connected wire (black/white) on the solenoid runs to the ignition switch to energize the winding so make sure that connection is good or else you will not hear anything click when the key is turned.

sebass 06-04-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo (Post 167363)
..... Another smaller connected wire (black/white) on the solenoid runs to the ignition switch to energize the winding so make sure that connection is good or else you will not hear anything click when the key is turned.

That is what i found (i think) to be a problem. Not sure how to fix it permanently but that whole contact moves a bit back and forth. I moved it completely towards driver seat and taped it so it would not move anymore and car starts with no problem now. However if i were to move it back or move it to different position it would not start or maybe it would and maybe it would not. So far the fix is holding but not sure how to make it permanent ???

JanGeo 06-05-2012 06:12 AM

It probably is a bolt that goes through to the inside of the solenoid to a crimped eyelet for the solenoid winding and if it is loose you simply need to either tighten it with the first nut under the wire OR loosen both nuts and unscrew it from the outside by carefully grabbing the threads or using double nuts locked together on the threads so that the bold head tightens against the inside contact then lock it in place with the outside nuts. The bolt usually threads through the plastic solenoid cover and is locked in place with the first outside nut.