Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Project KBA, KMA (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/project-kba-kma-2377.html)

krousdb 06-26-2006 11:19 AM

Project KBA, KMA

This thread begins the Project KBA, KMA, where the B could stand for Ben or Basjoos and the M could stand for Matt or Metro.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Located 10 minutes from where my parents live.:D

Whadda ya think?

GasSavers_DaX 06-26-2006 11:22 AM

HOLY HELL! How did you get a VX for $1800? NICE! You should call it KEA (kick everyone's a$$)!

95metro 06-26-2006 11:23 AM

That is nice! The seller is very thorough and it sounds like everything could be fixed pretty easily. Interior looks fantastic.

I'm now wishing that I'd surfed eBay a little more when I was in the market for a car...:( Oh well, I'm good with what I got...:)

Matt Timion 06-26-2006 11:29 AM

Uhm...

[Napoleon Dynamite]LUUCKKYYYY![/Napoleon Dynamite]

Sadly, I paid more for my 89 sedan than you just paid for a VX.

I've put more money into my 89 sedan (I think) than you just paid for your VX.

and you get the schweet VX rims that you can sell. to make some money back (unless you want to sell me your HX with insight tires on them).

krousdb 06-26-2006 11:37 AM

I was thinking of testing with the existing vx rims and tires vs the hx rims and tires. If the results are small, I might sell the HX rims. Mainly because Ben and Jered thing the VX are prettier.:p

Hey, Doesn't Ben and Jereds make ice cream or something?:D

Glad you guys think I got a deal. I hope I can make it home on the existing CV joints.

Now could you help me sell the Del Sol?

Matt Timion 06-26-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
I was thinking of testing with the existing vx rims and tires vs the hx rims and tires. If the results are small, I might sell the HX rims. Mainly because Ben and Jered thing the VX are prettier.:p

Hey, Doesn't Ben and Jereds make ice cream or something?:D

Glad you guys think I got a deal. I hope I can make it home on the existing CV joints.

Now could you help me sell the Del Sol?

Yep... just keep me in mind for the HX rims if you decide to sell them.

I'll pimp your ride on honda-tech. Do you have an asking price?

GasSavers_DaX 06-26-2006 11:48 AM

Where are you (actually, where is the Del Sol) located again Dan?

GasSavers_Jack 06-26-2006 12:05 PM

Dude! Well done!

Compaq888 06-26-2006 12:15 PM

Dan I offered you to buy your car in Matt's project log but I never got a response.

If you want we can do this over the PM, or here if you like. I'm comfortable talking about money.

SVOboy 06-26-2006 12:26 PM

:(

krousdb 06-26-2006 12:36 PM

Just heard from the owner. His name is Joel Jones. Any relation?

Gary Palmer 06-26-2006 01:28 PM

Congratulation's: That's a great price to pay for a VX!

Bunger 06-26-2006 01:32 PM

Nice VX, I had a green one once, wolf ate the seatbelts and interior though...

krousdb 06-26-2006 02:03 PM

A wolf? You are kidding, right?

SVOboy 06-26-2006 02:43 PM

If compaq buys the old fugly piece of crap I'll sell him the cx tranny, :p

Compaq888 06-26-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
If compaq buys the old fugly piece of crap I'll sell him the cx tranny, :p

I'm trying but the Shipping companies are not working with me, so far the cheapest I found is $1095 for shipping.

times are changing, thanks to gas costs everything is rising.

SVOboy 06-26-2006 02:56 PM

Well, I needa do something with this tranny, I've got three of them sitting around my house collecting nags from my mom, :p

95metro 06-26-2006 03:02 PM

If only we could mount one on a Metro....:D

SVOboy 06-26-2006 03:03 PM

All we'd need was an adaptor plate, darin and toecutter prolly know about that stuff, they also make some for inter honda swapping, :p

95metro 06-26-2006 03:07 PM

Yeah, probably need to machine a custom plate. Plus who knows if there's enough room and if the little 3-banger could handle the taller gearing without knocking in 1st. I know it knocks on 2nd gear starts if I'm not careful...oops...:o :D

It would be a very cool experiment though.

krousdb 06-26-2006 03:08 PM

Ben,
I could take the CX tranny for a spare. Now I need to find some CV joints and a muffler. Any ideas where to look?

Bunger 06-26-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

A wolf? You are kidding, right?

I'm 100% serious. I was fostering a wolf for a local shelter (since I had one before) and he had some serious seperation issues. I was in safeway for less than 12 minutes and came back out to find this:

https://zealautowerks.com/images/wolfed.jpg

Thats the only picture I took, but imagine that level of damage but all the seats, the headliner, the carpet, the seatbelts and misc bits of plastic. He was a really sweet animal, but just did NOT do well alone. He chewed through 2 of the seatbelts in my volvo in under 3 minutes. As soon as he couldn't see you anymore, he was doing anything and everything he could to get to you.

I never blammed him for it, it was my own fault for leaving him alone (though I hadn't been able to go grocery shopping for almost a month), and it was a chance I was willing to take, too bad it ended up being the demise of my interior.

krousdb 06-26-2006 03:17 PM

Found some interesting info while researching my new (old) car.

https://www.parcon.uci.edu/paper/Cons...on/areasof.htm

I didn't know that the Metro also had lean burn.....

Quote:

Lean burn technology is very effective and current production models like the Geo Metro and Honda Civic VX can successfully achieve 50 miles per gallon. By raising the air-fuel ratio by a factor of 1.67 above the stoichiometric value, a 10% increase in efficiency is gained. New developments in lean burn 2-stroke engines with advanced fuel injection is showing impressive results. the problems associated with lean burn though, is the fact that the engine can misfire due to lean condition resulting in incomplete combustion and excessive hydrocarbon emissions. also, current three-way catalysts are only able to operate in a very narrow stoichiometry range and will be unable to reduce NOx emissions.
Reducing the load also results in higher efficiencies. A 5% decrease in fuel consumption in highway conditions and a 4% decrease in urban conditions can be gained from a 10% reduction in load. The use of new materials such as aluminum and fiber-reinforced composites can reduce the weight tremendously. GM has been successful in developing a prototype called Ultralite, which has a curb weight half that of a comparatively sized car with the use of fiber-reinforced composites. Reduction of aerodynamic drag will also decrease fuel consumption . Drag coefficients (CD) of the mid 1970's were around 0.45, which has been reduced to around 0.35 by 1990. A production model called the Opel Calibra has brought down the drag coefficient to around 0.26 and prototypes shown promises of realizing CD's of 0.19.
Also: https://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...09/ai_n8864380

And:
https://www.nap.edu/openbook/0309045304/html/206.html

95metro 06-26-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Ben,
I could take the CX tranny for a spare. Now I need to find some CV joints and a muffler. Any ideas where to look?

$120 USD from global4autoparts.com - CV joint and boot kit.

Just plug the muffler with metal tape. As long as the cat is fine that's all that matters. :D

As for the lean burn, only the XFi Metros were lean burn.

SVOboy 06-26-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Ben,

Meh, you don't need a spare tranny. Anyway, are the joints messed or just the boots torn? New axles are like 60 a pop from autozone and cake to replace. Frank (budomove) made his own muffler...

krousdb 06-26-2006 03:23 PM

The owner says he has been driving on the CV joints like that for a year so I think I can make it 500 miles to Pittsburgh. Do I need any special tools? Is there a DIY on CV joints?

Metal tape sounds like fun but making my own muffelr sounds like more fun. Need a DIY on that also.

zpiloto 06-26-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I'm trying but the Shipping companies are not working with me, so far the cheapest I found is $1095 for shipping.

times are changing, thanks to gas costs everything is rising.

Just Airline up and drive the car home:). You can get comfortable with it on the way home. Tickets and gas would be way less than shipping it. Plus you could take 4 days and get a way from CA and see the country.:D "Bing", you are free to move around the country"

SVOboy 06-26-2006 03:25 PM

Don't mess with repairing the CV joints, just buy all new axles. 120 for both sides and you get a lifetime warranty on them.

It's very basic, I'll write it up when I fix my driverside axle seal (I really need to do that some day, :p)

95metro 06-26-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Metal tape sounds like fun but making my own muffelr sounds like more fun. Need a DIY on that also.

I'd like to see that DIY as well (see avatar...:o )

krousdb 06-26-2006 04:15 PM

Another awesome article. This one gets interesting in the appendices...

https://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...=clnk&cd=11See

Appendix A and B starting on page 22. It details the % FE gains for weight, tires, leanburn, gearing, etc of the VX over the 91DX. Also discusses the gain of MPFI over DPFI.

SVOboy 06-26-2006 04:23 PM

Something surprising: weight reduction was 2.5%

Something unsurpising: gearing 21%, hear that compaq? :p

Gary Palmer 06-26-2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

The owner says he has been driving on the CV joints like that for a year so I think I can make it 500 miles to Pittsburgh. Do I need any special tools? Is there a DIY on CV joints?

If he's been driving for a year on ratteling CV's, they are probably in pretty bad shape. I'd just get rebuilt half shaft's, instead, like SVOboy suggested. I can give a verbal DIY, shade tree mechanic, if you would like. It's not particularly difficult, but if it's your first time, it'd be easier if you could get it home first.

I think I'd check out how they look and if they don't look all trashed, missing boot's, ground up metal and stuff, I think I'd take tool's, get replacement parts their and just bring them back home.

Compaq888 06-26-2006 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Something surprising: weight reduction was 2.5%

Something unsurpising: gearing 21%, hear that compaq? :p

yea

SVOboy 06-26-2006 05:28 PM

At the time I was hoping you'd buy the sol and use the tranny we were gonna throw in it, because that's where that 21% came from.

krousdb 06-26-2006 05:29 PM

Looks like ebay for the del sol. What a pita.

SVOboy 06-26-2006 05:30 PM

damn man, give it a few days, :p

Actually, ebay does a good job on low mileage stock crap, if i recall correctly. i can post it on h-t and be like, low mileage del sol!!!

krousdb 06-26-2006 05:48 PM

PLease post on HT. What more could you want? Great FE, AC cold as ice..... Oh yea, I forgot how ugly it is....

Matt Timion 06-26-2006 08:24 PM

krousdb you might want to just call ahead to a few pepboys in the area and tell them your situation. I'm guessing you can get new axles put in rather cheap (~$200) in a faiirly short period of time.

As for the muffler, I'd either get some metal tape or Autozone sells a Muffler Repair epoxy that would work perfectly.

Or just go to a muffler shop and get a new one for $70 or so.

krousdb 06-27-2006 01:08 AM

$200 installed? Wow! The guy I bought it from said he was quoted $450 by a mechanic.

GasSavers_Jack 06-27-2006 05:41 AM

My brother is looking for a new car. I am not sure if he wants another Del Sol (his last one was a hunk of ****). I know he wants a honda so I will ask him.