Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   So I almost died last night.... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/so-i-almost-died-last-night-4585.html)

repete86 05-20-2007 12:17 PM

So I almost died last night....

Last night, a friend was giving me a ride home from a gathering at a nudist camp out in the middle of a cypress preserve, when he decided that he should drive down the road really fast. The road had alot of mounds of dirt in order to fill in the holes, which made going up to 70 really stupid. The fact that Matt has no experience with rallycross didn't help much either. Anyway, there's a spot where on the left side of the road there are two mounds. Matt was driving down the center of the road, swerved to miss the second one, oversteered, then hit the second one with his front left tire. The next thing I knew, the car was in the air, and upside down. It landed upside down and I hit my head really badly on the door. When this happened, the class sunroof was ripped off by the force of the impact, so the second time it came around, I hit my head on the ground (I'm still picking twigs and grass out of my hair). After that it rolled one more time during which I was holding onto the "Oh shyte" handle for dear life, which pulled my shoulder really hard (I can barely move my left arm because of something being fncked up in my shoulder). The car then flipped another 1/4 spin and landed sideways. My face is pretty *beep* up right now, my shoulder hurts so badly that I can barely get out of bed, and my back feels like it's bent in a million pieces, but for some reason, it's nothing serious. I think that it's just really bad whiplash from all of the impacts. I didn't even bother to see a doctor or go to the hospital. I think I'm immortal.

Luckily, it was his Izuzu gas guzzler that was destroyed. The Green Machine is fine.

SVOboy 05-20-2007 12:33 PM

Wow, I'm glad you're okay!

Compaq888 05-20-2007 12:55 PM

you should seriously see a doctor. It might get worse. After something like that I go to the emergency room.

repete86 05-20-2007 01:00 PM

Nah, all that they'll do is prescribe some anti-inflammatory and pain medication after I spend $300 on a visit. Pain I can deal with, and I've been taking alot of aleve. Nothing is broken, so there isn't really anything else that they can do.

Matt Timion 05-20-2007 01:04 PM

glad you're okay. Hopefully your friend will think about possible outcomes of his actions in the future next time.

MnFocus 05-20-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 52000)
you should seriously see a doctor. It might get worse. After something like that I go to the emergency room.

Glad you are "ok" BUT ...
This is some seriously good advice for a potentially serious condition . From experience I can tell you you are *not* immortal and 10 years from now you'll feel each and every one of those 'bent in a million pieces' . At the very least get yourself checked out! Just sayin ...

repete86 05-20-2007 01:50 PM

If I don't start feeling better tomorrow, I'm going to go to see a doctor, but I'm going to avoid it if I can.

thisisntjared 05-20-2007 02:23 PM

you arent immortal. definitely go see a doctor. you dont have health insurance??

no offense to you but, your friend is a tool bag and what he did is really dumb. its a good thing that, to the best of your knowledge, you are not seriously injured.

zpiloto 05-20-2007 02:25 PM

Yea definately go see a doctor. Back injuries or nothing to play around with. Were you wearing your seatbelt? Gald you're OK.

Peakster 05-20-2007 02:43 PM

Nasty! I hope you get better soon :o

repete86 05-20-2007 03:12 PM

Yeah, I was wearing my seatbelt, and it was a really stupid thing to do. If I'm not feeling better tomorrow, I'm going to go see a doctor, but I'm feeling better now than I was this morning, which is a good sign.

JanGeo 05-20-2007 03:51 PM

At least ask no insist on a chest x-ray frontal and side views and maybe one of your neck. Internal organs can be damaged and bleed internally resulting in death so take it REALLY EASY for at least a week. You may have dislocated your shoulder. I crashed on my BMW one time and spend three days in bed at home with torn cartilage in my rib cage - talk about hurt - don't ever land on your arm between the ground and your chest. Also take a deep breath every half hour or so to keep your lungs clear of any fluids. OH YEAH and Don't ever do that again!!!

Erdrick 05-20-2007 04:52 PM

repete86: Most people have already hit the main points. Just because you feel fine DOES NOT mean that you ARE fine. Internal bleeding can kill. Even if you don't have insurance, is $300 worth gambling your life over? You are right that if there is nothing broken, then the doctors can't do much for you other than persscribe pain meds. BUT, if there is a serious complication that you can't just feel (ie, something that can only be detected by x-ray), then the doctors WILL be able to help find possibly life-threatening problems. If you are still walking and breathing then chances are you will be alright. However, for the $300 you are contemplating spending, you may well be signing your own death warrant. Money is only useful as long as you are alive.

kwtorbe 05-20-2007 07:02 PM

I hope you get better. Did any emergency personal check you out after the accident? Is your friend okay?

Hockey4mnhs 05-20-2007 08:14 PM

when not hypermilling i do 70 on gravel all the time. this makes me think pretty damn hard about speed when haveing fun. most the time i hypermile tho so its not to bad. dude i hope you feel better!!!

repete86 05-20-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwtorbe (Post 52045)
I hope you get better. Did any emergency personal check you out after the accident? Is your friend okay?

No, we didn't want to deal with any cops, paperwork, or any of that other crap and just left the car in the ditch. A friend drove us home. Matt's okay, but has a few broken bones. He went to the hospital.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey4mnhs
when not hypermilling i do 70 on gravel all the time. this makes me think pretty damn hard about speed when haveing fun. most the time i hypermile tho so its not to bad. dude i hope you feel better!!!

I also drive nuts on dirt roads (I refer to it as rally though). The '93 Accord is pretty good for it. It handles dirt extremly well. This accident wouldn't have happened if I had been driving and it was the Green Machine.

OdieTurbo 05-21-2007 12:47 AM

Wowzers! I'm glad your okay, and your friend too!

brucepick 05-21-2007 07:20 AM

Chiropractor.

repete86 05-21-2007 08:18 AM

I'm feeling alot better today than I was yesterday. I think that everything is healing on its own.

argylesocks 05-21-2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete86 (Post 52065)
No, we didn't want to deal with any cops, paperwork, or any of that other crap and just left the car in the ditch.

Im pretty sure you cant just 'leave it there'. cops will trace the VIN number back...

repete86 05-21-2007 08:56 AM

Matt took care of the car yesterday. We just wanted to get over the shock of rolling down the road at 70 mph before dealing with cops asking us over and over again if we need an ambulance and asking for statements.

repete86 05-22-2007 11:01 AM

Update: I just got back from the doctor. They did some x-rays, and found that it isn't broken, but that I just pulled alot of muscles in my shoulder. I also asked her about my immortality theory. She didn't seem too keen on it.

Bill in Houston 05-22-2007 11:12 AM

Did you see the movie "Unbreakable"? Maybe you should try lifting some really heavy weights. Let us know how it goes!

Glad you are pretty much okay.

repete86 05-22-2007 12:27 PM

For some reason, I don't think that that will work too well. Being a scrawny vegan, I can't really lift too many weights.

Bill in Houston 05-22-2007 01:24 PM

That is what the guy in Unbreakable thought until he tried... :-)

repete86 05-22-2007 02:10 PM

...but I can swim.

thisisntjared 05-22-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete86 (Post 52261)
For some reason, I don't think that that will work too well. Being a scrawny vegan, I can't really lift too many weights.

what are you talking about? one of the most jacked guys i know is vegan. well he just became vegan, he used to be vegitarian. anyway, you can be vegan and be physically strong.

SVOboy 05-22-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 52309)
what are you talking about? one of the most jacked guys i know is vegan. well he just became vegan, he used to be vegitarian. anyway, you can be vegan and be physically strong.

Indeed, the guy who just recently dominated the ironman circuit is a vegan for training and things, :)

Snax 05-22-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete86 (Post 52272)
...but I can swim.

'Undrownable' then.

Assuming your friend has liability insurance on his vehicle, it makes no difference to his policy whether you seek further medical service or not. He has already done so, so don't hold back.

Glad you are alright!

JanGeo 05-22-2007 06:16 PM

WOW what a day . . . I almost get hit crossing the street a block from my office - lady with woman passenger yackity yackity crossing Bellevue pulled out crossing the main street as I was crossing the far side of the road she was on and she took off as I got half way across I saw her coming and stopped . . she kept on coming looking to the right and driving straight ahead without looking as me at all - if I had not stopped she would have run me right down - as it was she was 1 foot in front of me and didn't even see me until the driver side window was right in front of me and kept right on going.

Now on the news I hear a highschool two girls crossing a 4 lane road in Portsmouth one got hit by a cop on his way to work in a 25mph zone where usually everyone speeds. I drove right by there today twice and always go slow. Witness said she looked like she was in bad shape.

Bill in Houston 05-23-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snax (Post 52313)
'Undrownable' then.

Heh heh heh...

JanGeo 05-23-2007 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete86 (Post 52110)
I'm feeling alot better today than I was yesterday. I think that everything is healing on its own.

Ultimately it has to heal on its own but you have to be sure that nothing is going to cause a critical life threatening problem like a broken bone next to an artery. Just make sure you keep moving everything through the full range of motion very carefully or else you end up with some limited motion like I did. Gentle streatching several times a day without over doing it.

repete86 05-23-2007 02:35 PM

I saw a doctor yesterday. There are no breaks. I have been stretching it out, and I'm definitely able to move it alot farther before it starts to hurt than ont he first day after the accident.

Bill in Houston 05-23-2007 06:20 PM

Do good PT like JanGeo said...