Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   T100 Hopeful (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/t100-hopeful-10015.html)

T100Glut 09-18-2008 09:37 AM

T100 Hopeful

I have a 1995 Toyota T100 4x4 with a 3.2 liter v6. It has a distributorless ignition system. It is running close to 300K miles. I get about 16 MPG right now. My hope is to develop an HHO system that will bump up my mileage and save me some money. I just took on a new job. I fill up every three to four days as I drive 120 miles/day just for work. I was considering a new car, but after reviewing what HHO might do form me I want to give it a shot. I have some electronics knowledge and lots of auto mechanics knowledge from a decade ago. I am a programmer by trade and a fairly astute problem solver.

I wonder if HHO may be produced at the injector using a type of wet-cell technology that is fed water at a slow rate. Timing at the injector could be used to boost/restrict the flow as the engine needs it. I have not seen any devices that do this yet.

Project84 09-18-2008 09:44 AM

I say sell the pig and find a car built for commuting... I would recommend a Saturn, but I'm biased. They're easy and cheap to work on and the SOHC models are capable of mid 40's bone stock. Cheap initial cost too.

Good luck w/ HHO if you decide to go that route, we have a forum here just for HHO discussion.

rgathright 09-18-2008 09:46 AM

Welcome.

1) If your tires are in good condition, try filling them to the max PSI.
2) Install an electric fan and remove the stock, mechanical, clutch fan.
3) Run without the A/C or turn the A/C up so that it will not cycle on/off as much.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-18-2008 10:47 AM

unless you need the truck for your work, I would trade it in or buy a beater as a second vehicles.

HHO has pretty big claims and I haven't heard of too many people that can back them up (and the ones that can are unreliable at best). even if you DOUBLE your mileage (as some advertisers say) you are still only at 32 which is where I am on a bad day....a really bad day.

I would say to start with the basic stuff that most others have done that is cheap and reliable, if then you still want to mess with HHO, have at it.

itjstagame 09-20-2008 05:07 AM

Hey, I'm a programmer by trade with automotive knowledge too, cool!

Wetcell tech is an awesome idea. My only worry is to make sure you do it before injecting any gas incase of sparks or discharge. The other thing is that passing the gas through a bubbler is supposed to add some help because you're adding water vapor.

I'm interested in trying HHO too, but I think the first thing for me to try is a PVC catch can and then pass that through a bubbler. I've seen some that really use up the water which means it's in the intake which mean a bit more efficiency due to steam expansion.

Here is the BEST resource I've found: https://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapter10.pdf
It goes through EVERY HHO generator you've probably ever heard mentioned as well as how to build your own EFIE. It has multiple construction plans for many devices and explains who a lot of the big names in the technology are. Also, EFIE is another very big component. Most newer cars will see the cleaner burning (less O2 content in the exhaust due to using it for lex COx and NOx and more CO2 N2) and add gas to compensate. The EFIE tricks your O2 signal to run at a leaner target. It's not super sofisticated but supposed it's the only way to truly see the gains with HHO.

Lastly, I have to agree with the others. Your 'fill up' every 3-4 days has to be really close to $100 each time. I'm not sure about your location but you should be able to find fairly reliable transportation for $1000 or less, probably even $500. There are plenty around me for $500 (sometimes even 2000 or newer Hyundais!) and if you throw and oil change and tune up they'll be bullet proof. If you find a $500 car that can get you 32MPG then it just has to last 30-40 work days to pay for itself! (Because $100/3-4 days * 10 = $1000/30-40 days and at 32MPG it's only $500/30-40 days and voila paid for!). Plus you always have your other vehicle as a backup (I'd want a back up for that anyway at 300k miles) and you can still spend a couple hundred and try HHO on your car and shoot for 50MPG plus saving you even more. Personally I'd experiment on the truck or whatever is not my only vehicle first and if it works move it to the car.

T100Glut 09-23-2008 03:18 PM

Thank you all for offering your opinions. My truck is great to use as a utility vehicle, but obviously not a commuters choice. Likely is that I will pick up a small junker with a few fixit items. If I do that, I will likely test HHO on it instead. As a side note, I have looked at electric (after some review of NEDRA.com) and would enjoy gutting a two-seater clunker in order to retrofit it with a few high output electric motors and a 1/2 ton of batteries sounds like more fun (albeit more expensive). I could save a lot in gas by driving electric around town for a few years.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-23-2008 04:19 PM

I have heard that it is easier to convert a rear wheel drive vehicle to electric because of the space. just chuck the motor and maybe even the trans and just use the rear diff for the gearing.

you could possibly use an old chevette. I have a buddy that has about a dozen of them. he is in the process of fuel injecting one of them with mega-squirt. and before you ask, he won't sell any of them.

I would go with the electric alternative before the HHO but electric is expensive. you could also purchase an old golf cart and start with that system just to get you going. gear it up to get the speed out of it. that may hurt your range though. if you can get a golf cart cheap or wrecked then you are in business.