Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News, Articles and Products (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Chrysler's New EV Unveiled On CNBC Live! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/chryslers-new-ev-unveiled-on-cnbc-live-10037.html)

rgathright 09-23-2008 03:15 AM

Chrysler's New EV Unveiled On CNBC Live!

Right now on CNBC, Chrysler is unveiling its new EV and gas friendly line up of cars for the upcoming model years.

https://thumbnails.cnbc.com/CNBCVideo...esTHUMB_sm.jpg
CNBC-Video

Background stories:
Chrysler's EV?
https://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...8-55cda3e62d69

Chrysler talks for EV batteries
https://www.reuters.com/article/marke...25350920080923

UPDATE
FOUR new EV's were announced live on CNBC: Dodge EV, Jeep EV, (A minivan EV) and a NEV called Gem.

The Dodge EV is the flagship vehicle. The car can do 0-60 in 5 seconds as driven by the news reporter live on TV! The car has a reported 100+ mile range. The Dodge EV can also take a full charge in 8 hours using a standard 120V outlet.

The Jeep EV will feature four wheel motors! Range on electric is 40 miles with an on-board 1.0 Liter engine that extends range to 400 miles.

The minivan EV will have a 40 mile electric and 400 mile hybrid mode range.

GasSavers_SD26 09-23-2008 04:02 AM

So, how does an EV car pay for the road it uses? Just wait for the extra wheel taxes or a special meter on the house to pay for road taxes.

thisisntjared 09-23-2008 04:49 AM

it doesnt. let the polluters pay for it.

GasSavers_SD26 09-23-2008 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 119266)
it doesnt. let the polluters pay for it.

No. They use the road. They need to pay. It's only a matter of time before the government comes into their houses or adds a tax to EV vehicles if they ever become main stream.

Road taxes pay for building roads. It's a perfect system, really, as big vehicles use more fuel, and then they pay more for roads.

As for poluters, a tractor-trailer moves a lot more freight per gallon than a lot of stuff out there. That is efficient, and it reduces polution.

The other side is that EV car owners should build their own roads.

Erdrick 09-23-2008 05:06 AM

Wow, this really came out of left field.

jbmorse02 09-23-2008 05:09 AM

The "who's gonna pay road tax if people don't buy gas" argument is irrelevant. Sooner or later, government will be forced to revamp the road tax structure. In the meantime, we can't use the road tax argument as an excuse not to develop ev's and other alternative transportation.

thisisntjared 09-23-2008 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD26 (Post 119269)
No. They use the road. They need to pay. It's only a matter of time before the government comes into their houses or adds a tax to EV vehicles if they ever become main stream.

Road taxes pay for building roads. It's a perfect system, really, as big vehicles use more fuel, and then they pay more for roads.

As for poluters, a tractor-trailer moves a lot more freight per gallon than a lot of stuff out there. That is efficient, and it reduces polution.

The other side is that EV car owners should build their own roads.

i disagree. it is not perfect.

i should not pay any taxes for roads when i ride my bicycle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBMorse (Post 119271)
The "who's gonna pay road tax if people don't buy gas" argument is irrelevant. Sooner or later, government will be forced to revamp the road tax structure. In the meantime, we can't use the road tax argument as an excuse not to develop ev's and other alternative transportation.

exactly! we should use the taxes we have now to aid in a shift toward alternate forms of energy.

Lug_Nut 09-23-2008 08:05 AM

I am so absolutely sickened by all these future dreams being advertised. Hydrogen BMW, Chevy Volt, now Chrysler's EV.
WHEN, damnit! I don't give a rat's arse about what your marketers crystal ball the buyer of 20 years from now might want. How about producing vehicles this year and next year?
AMC and DeSoto and Checker also had grandiose plans for their own future models......
Unfortunately I live and drive in a real world not one in which some jet turbine (Chrysler's late 50's 'future' car power) or nuclear (Ford's Nucleon concept from the late 50's) powered alternatives to gasoline are widespread.
I hear Diahatsu has coming up with a cold fusion powered Charade (now, there's an honest name for a 'future' car) that runs on banana peels and coffee grounds, but the technology isn't quite ready yet.:rolleyes:

Jay2TheRescue 09-23-2008 08:36 AM

I think a fusion powered car is way off into the future, if at all. I see it as being like the jet powered Chrysler mentioned earlier. Sounds cool, but probably will never happen.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-23-2008 08:48 AM

hybrid plug-ins are here. they aren't mass produced but they are here. you can convert your prius into an plug-in hybrid if you have the money. also you can get a wildfire right now. I already got a quote from them. stability seems to be an issue and you can lease (yes it's a lease) a honda hydrogen fuel cell vehicle today if you are in the areas where they are available.

on the other hand, I know what you mean. all this new stuff which is COMING SOON. I too want to see the cars of the future materialize into something that we all can purchase (and afford). the volt to me is a bit of a letdown. it started off at 30K and now it is 40K so is the mileage that they claim going to suffer as well? will it actually get 40 miles on an electric charge? will I have to change out the batteries after 5 or 10 years? will it get the 50 MPG that was promised after the batteries are dead? the 40K announcement makes me wonder about a lot of their claims.

I try to see things from both sides which usually has me fighting with myself. it seems like everyones magic number is 2010 and well even though it is around the corner, it is still a good distance off.