Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   MPG meter without computer still available? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/mpg-meter-without-computer-still-available-10210.html)

GasSavers_Vman 10-17-2008 08:04 PM

MPG meter without computer still available?

I have been hunting high and low to find a MPG meter that does not connect into a comptuer because my car does not have one. I know they used to make them years ago and they usually had a flow sensor in the fuel line and sensor on the drive shaft for mileage i guess. anyone know where one can get these nowadays. I'd like to soo about getting one instead of doing the gas tank fillup procedure all the time. Thanks for any for any help.
V

GasSavers_BEEF 10-17-2008 08:30 PM

my gas log cost me about 69 cent at lowes foods. little black notebook. you can also get a gauge from jcwhitney that just goes off of engine vacume.

also, if your car is '96 or newer you can use a scangauge. it runs around $160.

a gas log is a simple thing to keep up with. I have a scangauge but still keep a gas log to keep up with the exact number

GasSavers_Vman 10-18-2008 12:55 AM

gas log

Yeah I do the gas log all the time but it does not give you any kind fo real time readings like a gauge would. Car is a 1966, no computers whatsover, I did not see a scan gauge the works with the older cars.
I'm shooting for 100 plus mpg with the old 6 cylinder, you can start laughing now LOL

Rick Rae 10-18-2008 04:08 AM

Correct, you won't find a ScanGauge for any vehicle before the mid 90s -- it relies on data from the engine control computer.

I remember the kind of MPG gauge you're taking about, and I haven't seen one of those in ages, either. Maybe someone knows where you can nab one and will speak up. Also, try searching the forums here; some DIYers have done pretty cool stuff (like adapting a Saturn FE readout to other car brands, if I remember correctly).

If you can't find a true MPG readout, a vacuum gauge like BEEF mentioned is a good alternative (and available anywhere). It'd only give you a relative readout that's not 100% in sync with fuel economy, but it would definitely help you "tune" your driving techniques. My older brother had one on his car when he was in his 20s, and he said it was amazing how well it abated "lead foot syndrome."

Quote:

I'm shooting for 100 plus mpg with the old 6 cylinder, you can start laughing now LOL
Nah. A man's reach should exceed his grasp, and all that. Giving it a go will make a difference at the pump even if you don't hit three digits.

Plus, it's fun! :thumbup::)

Good luck -- and if you find an MPG gauge on your own please post here and let everyone know where, to help the next person looking.

Cheers,
Rick

theholycow 10-18-2008 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rae (Post 121700)
Also, try searching the forums here; some DIYers have done pretty cool stuff (like adapting a Saturn FE readout to other car brands, if I remember correctly).

All the adaptations I've seen like that require fuel injection. With a carburetor, Vman is right that it will be necessary to use a flow sensor in the fuel line.

You can find fuel flow rate gauges (and presumably their sensors) at boat supply websites. That's the only place I found them when I was searching. Like the vacuum gauge, the fuel flow rate gauge doesn't compare fuel rate against speed, but maybe you can work with the sensor...

nowhhs 10-18-2008 07:40 AM

Do a search on ebay for zemco. They made a series of mileage computers, with and without cruise controls. I have one of them on my carbureted motorhome and it works just like you described. It has a flow meter in the fuel line and magnets on the driveshaft. You can also get a fuel injection adapter if you need it, but I've never seen one. A friend of mine was looking for one recently so I was keeping an eye out. They seem to show up on ebay every month or so. A guy recently had a brand new, uninstalled one for $150. Usually they are a lot less, but used. Good luck.

Edit: There's one listed on ebay right now, current price is $50, buy it now is $150. Zemco compucruise 44. Item number 140275413157.

Rick Rae 10-18-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 121706)
All the adaptations I've seen like that require fuel injection.

Agreed. My point was more that we have some sharp people on here and it might be that someone has already done an MPG gauge project that would be suitable.

Maybe that won't be necessary, though... looks like nowhhs offered a great lead! :)

Rick

Jay2TheRescue 10-18-2008 10:11 AM

The following Ebay seller claims to have bought out the remaining inventory from a former dealer of these kits...

https://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/greatclothes5

He has a nice NOS cruise/trip computer listed on Ebay right now. I'm kinda tempted to buy one for the Buick now... Speaking of Buick cruise controls. Anyone know where I can get a resume solenoid for a 1981 Buick? Its just a simple vacuum solenoid, but I can't seem to locate one. Without it the cruise doesn't work at all, and if you bypass it the cruise resumes as soon as you take your foot off the brake.

-Jay