Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   2011 Jeep GC V8 with low MPG compared to others (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/2011-jeep-gc-v8-with-low-mpg-compared-to-others-1027.html)

thehorde 03-02-2013 01:12 AM

2011 Jeep GC V8 with low MPG compared to others

2011 Grand Cherokee V8 isn't getting anywhere near the average mileage on Fuelly. I am averaging 11.6 MPG. Any ideas? Is it the cold, how I drive or should I check something mechanical?

MMUK 03-02-2013 02:02 AM

How long are your typical journeys?

What sort of driving do you do? (City, highway)

What is the temperature in your part of the world?

Draigflag 03-02-2013 04:25 AM

Holy smokes! 11 MPG?! Is that a typo?

MatrixDom 03-02-2013 08:17 AM

Carrying passengers or extra cargo can definitely worsen your MPG.

Idling your engine without driving is the worst thing.

Pump the fuel type required for your engine, nothing more.

MacBriggs 03-03-2013 06:30 AM

Slow down, coast A LOT more often, slipstream big vehicles when you can and don't lug things around you can leave at home. You should look up hypermiling, it is a technique commonly used to get better MPG then posted dealership figures. After hypermiling a V6 GTI that should be getting 25mpg according to volkswagen. I got 38.

dtwjr 03-03-2013 09:28 PM

Is your Jeep a V8 or V6?

AWD or switchable?

Where do you live?

Hypermiling isn't something everyone is willing to do all the time, but understanding it will help your driving. But the fact is these Jeeps don't get great mileage.

I suggest a trip to test your high MPG out; travel far enough to burn one tank of gas pretty much non-stop. This will give you a clear indication of your high mileage mark.

wr 03-08-2013 08:40 PM

My experience with the large Chrysler V8s (4.7 and 5.9L) is that you mileage is directly related to how much stop and go you driving you have. These guys suck gass when accelerating. If you're getting that MPG on the Hwy something isn't right, but if you're in town 10 to 12 sounds about right. In one spread out town of 50000 where there is no real downtown and the stops are spread out every 5 or 10 city blocks I can get 13-14 MPG. In a town of 200000 where the stops are every block I get 10 MPG. On the highway I get 20 MPG at 55 MPH and about 17 at 70 MPH. This is with a 4.7L 5 speed. The 5.9L can do better on the highway with the cylinder deactivation if you keep your speed down closer to 55 MPH than 70. If you're towing much of anything then your mileage is probably about right as well. BTW both of these motors prefer extra octane. They run better on 89 and will yield slightly higher mileage on it (especially when towing) but the gain isn't enough to justify the added cost.

thehorde 03-09-2013 01:23 AM

Thanks for all of your responses. I haven't towed anything and don't carry much. Usually it's just me in the vehicle. It is a V8 AWD so I knew the fuel efficiency wouldn't be good but I needed something to tow in the summer.

MMUK - I live in West Michigan and it's been in the 20's and low 30's lately.

MatrixDom - It has been running while parked a fair amount. I didn't think it would make that much difference but I will stop that and see how much things improve.

wr - My driving is almost all in the city with start and stops all the time.

I don't drive very far to work so my mileage isn't going to hurt my finances that much but I still want to be as efficient as possible. It sounds like I am getting close to what I should be getting. I will look up some hypermiling techniques and see if they help.

Ciderbarrel 03-09-2013 02:30 AM

Never idle for any length of time when you do not have to. You are just wasting gas by getting 0 MPG while idling.

MMUK 03-09-2013 08:54 PM

I think the MPG you are getting is to be expected under the circumstances. Short trips (=engine still cold), stop/go driving, 4-wheel drive, ...

It should improve a bit when you stop idling it, and also improve a bit when it gets warmer (as long as you don't use A/C).