Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   O2 Sensor for a 93 Civic VX - Will L2H2 work? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/o2-sensor-for-a-93-civic-vx-will-l2h2-work-10304.html)

thegreatconduct 10-31-2008 09:53 AM

O2 Sensor for a 93 Civic VX - Will L2H2 work?

So I have been checking Ebay every few days for a few months now and have not seen a l1h1 sensor for sale. The l1h1 costs like $300+ from a dealer and it would take some serious mileage to justify the extra 10 mpg I would gain from getting a new sensor.

Recently I have setup a little led on my dash that monitors the O2 sensor and I haven't seen it go into lean burn at all yet. From what I have read with a bad O2 sensor the VX gets low 40's for MPG and thats exactly what I am getting so I am sure my sensor is bad. I just bought this car a few months back so I have no idea when it was replaced last but it was probably a long time ago.

That being said I have seen the L2H2 sensor available on ebay and could probably pick one up for $75-$100. From what I have read on here some people say it won't work as well as the l1h1 in my car but my question is will it work at all and if so how much different will it run then with an l1h1? Knowing that my sensor does not work at all right now anything would be an improvement.

Should I buy an l2h2 and install it?

Thanks for your advice/insight!

vxdude 10-31-2008 10:27 AM

you got to pay to play, that the one thing if i had to do it all over again, i probably would have went with the HF and not the VX. i paid 350 with tax, but now i am getting 55mpg+. how did you make the setup to monitor the lean burn?

thegreatconduct 10-31-2008 10:43 AM

I calculated it out and assuming a gain of 10mpg it would take around 23,000 miles of driving for a $300 sensor to break even. So I guess ill keep looking and hoping to find one cheaper because I don't think the gain is worth the cost at this point.

Do you know that the L2H2 will not work?

To monitor lean burn I bought a lcd display voltmeter off ebay for about $12. Then I followed the instructions here:

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2427

The ecu is at the bottom right under the dash of the passenger seat. So I ran a couple wires from the spot in the dash I mounted the lcd to the ecu, and spliced into:

"Positive lead of the DMM/DVM to pin D14 (orange with blue stripe)
Negative lead to pin D16 (blue with green stripe wire)"

Then I found that the lcd meter I bought cannot power itself from the car battery like I was hoping because its ultimately measuring voltage from the car battery so its causes problems and actually threw a check engine light. I had it powering off the "clock" spot that my car did not have. Suprisingly enough when removing that dummy plate where the clock goes I had a 12v source. Anyway I ran another 2 wires down to the passenger floorboard which is currently hooked into one of those larger block 6v flashlight battery. Since its a seperate power source it works.

I plan on installing a switch on the dash next to the lcd so I can easily turn it on and off. Then putting aligator clips on the wires going to the battery so its easy to replace. Also I think the battery could be concealed in the center column behind the cigarette lighter piece so I might stick it in there so its out of sight.

Danronian 11-03-2008 06:07 PM

I would either go with the correct sensor or keep your old one.

I haven't ever heard much (if any) success in using the wrong 5-wire and having it work on the VX.

thegreatconduct 11-04-2008 06:32 AM

Me either but I also haven't read anyone trying and it not working. Someone has to have tried this before. The person selling the L2H2 assures me it will work fine and they have installed it in VXs before no problem.

SCoupe 11-04-2008 08:00 AM

I'm having problems with this new Bosch Sensor, throws CEL 48.https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...a0d18d9b95.jpg

thegreatconduct 11-12-2008 04:53 AM

Then sensor you have pictured there is an L1H1 so how is that relevent to this thread? My question is if an L2H2 will work in a VX.

SCoupe 11-12-2008 09:08 AM

Not jacking your thread. I have no freakin idea of how to know the o2 sensor is L1H1. It says Bocsh and the oem part number. I purchased it new for ~$107 and it is being returned for a full refund because it throws the CEL 48. It was purchased on ebay in September from a seller who stood behind the sale.

edit: Yes, I got a full refund.

jadziasman 11-12-2008 04:04 PM

SCoupe,

The LAF sensor you bought is probably a LSU-4 that someone printed a Honda OEM part number on. I hope you can get your money back. Genuine L1H1 sensors don't have the Honda part number on them

Do your best to find a real NTK L1H1. L1H1 and JAPAN are stamped not printed onto the sensor body.

There are other LAF sensors out there that seem to have functioned adequately for some of the others that post here regularly. Kind of hit or miss though.

Best of luck. I hope you find one that works soon.