Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   People Powered (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   GoblinAero 150 MPG coming soon (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f19/goblinaero-150-mpg-coming-soon-10528.html)

GoblinAero 12-06-2008 08:37 AM

GoblinAero 150 MPG coming soon

Our new vehicle can be seen at: www.goblinmotors.com

Deliveries begin in February of 2009.

Based upon a standard recumbent tricycle, it is available in either 35cc or 50cc Honda engine sizes.

Protection from the elements with front and rear aerodynamic fairings and capability to carry 5 bags of groceries.

Excellent braking power from over-sized 8" disc brakes and includes non-puncture tires.

You can pedal if you want to or use the power to get to work without breaking a sweat!

Later in 2009, a hybrid version will be available.

Best to all,

Jeff Bales
Tucson, Arizona

Lug_Nut 12-06-2008 09:56 AM

Solution in search of a problem

I have to ask what you see as a market for this.
Suburban commuters with under 10 miles travel each way? Gated community residents? High density urban metrosexuals? I really don't see how a traditional bicycle AND a small car can't be had for less cost than this and provide more practicality and equal miles per gallon.

GasSavers_SD26 12-06-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut (Post 125371)
I have to ask what you see as a market for this.
I really don't see how a traditional bicycle AND a small car can't be had for less cost than this and provide more practicality and equal miles per gallon.

I've thought the same thing about Hybrid cars. A bicycle and a rechargeable golf cart would work.

I think it's up to a manufacturer to make a risk though. That's capitalism. I'm not sure how many billions they are asking for on a bail out. I'm betting none. :thumbup:

Mike T 12-06-2008 07:47 PM

This is the People Powered forum, so why is something with a massively polluting small engine (like a leaf blower or lawn mower) in here? ;)

jeep45238 12-06-2008 08:28 PM

Get a moped and those small trailers for kids they sell that attach to bikes. Replace the kiddie seat with a box and you're good to go.

theholycow 12-07-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike T (Post 125413)
This is the People Powered forum, so why is something with a massively polluting small engine (like a leaf blower or lawn mower) in here? ;)

FWIW, the OP's website claims that their engine makes little pollution, is CARB approved, etc...

101mpg 12-07-2008 05:25 AM

Personally I wouldn't shell out 6 grand for something like this. That said, mopeds and recumbents ride TOTALLY differently. The back of the vehicle is going to be designed to hold five bags of groceries according to the manufacturer's website, which again you won't see on a moped.

While I think this ought to be more in the neighborhood of a grand or two, and I think it could be if mass-produced, likely you could get any number of customizations as each will be a hand-produced vehicle.

For the right person, this could be a great niche product. We'll have to see what happens.

Mike T 12-07-2008 10:33 AM

Meeting CARB standards for non-automotive engines and meeting the same standard as cars are two different things. But I ask again, why would anything with an engine be posted about here? This thread should be moved to a motorized sub-forum.

101mpg 12-07-2008 10:54 AM

The vehicle can be people-powered. It's fine.

Lug_Nut 12-07-2008 03:42 PM

And I can push my car...so what?

Mike T 12-07-2008 10:10 PM

So true!

.....this car/bike thingy with an engine should be somewhere else, unless the engine is a "people". It offends my sense of fair play to think that someone with one of these might be competing in this sub-forum for a yearly distance record against actual bicycles. :p

Snax 12-13-2008 07:02 AM

For similar money, a person could put together a BugE, or for allot less build their own motorized bike. Mine cost less than $300 to put together including the motor, new tires, and a new seat.

While velomobiles are generally not found so cheaply, the cost severly limits their market acceptance and is likely the primary reason you don't see them around. In other words, find a less expensive price point for these things. I wouldn't trade either of my warm reliable inexpensive cars for them at that cost. It would take me years to earn a payback on fuel costs, particularly since I can bike or motor-bike around for the daily 4 mile commute and have gone months at a time without driving. I just don't see a practical economic argument for such a thing fitting into the vast majority of people's lives.

It's cool, but you gotta make it cheaper.

dm1333 04-07-2009 03:20 PM

I think it belongs here in people powered. A friend of mine has a recumbent trike with a small gas engine, if he happens to run out of gas no big deal, he just pedals a little harder.

As for something like this being marketed at $1000? Not likely. Cheaper foreign made 2 wheel recumbents run right around that much, higher quality made in the USA two wheelers start at about $1500. Trikes generally seem to be a bit more expensive because of the extra parts, raw material and welding involved.

samandw 06-26-2009 11:10 AM

Hmmm. Really cool idea, but kinda hard to justify when you could easily replicate basjoos's 95mpg 5-seat hatchback with extra storage for probably $2500. . . just sayin'

Snax 06-26-2009 04:15 PM

Keep in mind that Basjoos does ALLOT of highway miles. I doubt he gets much more than 40-50 mpg around town in stop and go.

imzjustplayin 06-29-2009 12:49 PM

He doesn't ACTUALLY get 95mpg, that was just the headline of various articles. They pulled that number because he calculated some theoretical mileage in some theoretical scenarios. He says he used to average high 60s low 70s before the 10% ethanol but now is in the low 60s which is still good. There are definitely things he could've done to the car to improve the engine but that wasn't his expertise and so the only real improvement to his car is the aerodynamics.

palemelanesian 06-29-2009 01:07 PM

The aerocivic HAS gotten 95 mpg - with Wayne Gerdes driving it.

Lorena_Palin 07-23-2009 11:59 AM

The original thing is cool, but kind of overpriced. You could take a used EX250 motorcycle and make it a streamliner (like what they do for world speed records) and change the gearing and get insanely good millage with it. And have a vehicle that could go on highways.

101mpg 07-25-2009 06:54 AM

Look what they've done with the "Wolf Spyder." Again, I'm certainly not shelling out the $20K on top of the price of a trike, but some people want looks.

On top of that, they DO heavily promote the low-speed vehicles for people who have lost their licenses due to DUI and similar situations.