Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   $1.49 a gallon - Who cares about FE? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/1-49-a-gallon-who-cares-about-fe-10536.html)

theholycow 12-10-2008 08:45 AM

With GM vehicles, if you don't have the build sheet you can look in the glovebox for a label with 3-letter codes called RPO codes. They list all the equipment and configuration, including stuff like gear ratios. You just have to look them up online, there are lists and RPO decoders all over the internet.

KU40 12-10-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northwoods (Post 125591)
I am looking for a good expalanation why we are seeing such cheap gas. THe fall off in demand just does not seem to be enough to warrent a 2X + reduction. If gas were $4 we would have to pay it. Try this on for size: oil co's drop price way down to eliminate alternatives by forcing them into bankupcy, then buy them up. Price goes back up once this is complete enough for them to control the alternatives market and either shut them down or bring them back when its convinient like when oil price gets so high that demand is choked off and we quit all but essential consumption.

I don't agree. Oil companies don't set the oil price. The reason gas is so much cheaper is because the speculation bubble burst. People thought they could make money buying oil commodities, and so did everybody else in the last year. So people bought it and bought it, and that drove the price up (on wall street, and other nations' comparable exchanges). Well, just like every other commodity or stock, there's a point where people say ok, this is getting too high and it's overpriced for its actual value. So the bubble burst and everybody sold, sold, sold. Selling drives wall street prices down, on any investment. So I agree that reduced demand can't be all of the reason. But it's not none of it, either. It helps a small percent. The world's downhill economy right now is then picking up the rest.

You also forget that oil companies invest as much money as anybody else in developing alternative fuel sources. Oil companies aren't dumb (at least most of them), they adapt their business to the time. Just like Sony with the VHS players to DVD players, and all of that. They realize that VHS is going downhill in technological advancement (like oil), so they had two choices. Either go out of business when the DVD industry totally took over, or.....start building DVD players! You can bet oil companies are doing the same, they're looking for the next big thing so that they can have their hand in it and not go out of business when oil does. But that doesn't mean by hostile takeover of the start-up businesses, that's more messy and costly than developing it yourself from the get-go.

Sludgy 12-10-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 125531)
Where is "here" ?

Pete.

I live south of Boston, MA

GasSavers_SD26 12-10-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy (Post 125521)
You guys are lucky bastards. Diesel is still at least $2.699 here.....

I think I paid that for LSD, but down the road ULSD is $2.45.

Gas and fuel are expenses. So, regardless of the price, I will always look to conserve my money.

BumblingB 12-12-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjones96 (Post 125594)
I'm on my first, and last, 4 banger... :thumbdown:

Good for you!!! I switched down to 3cyl cars a while back and haven't looked back. Geo Metro, Honda Insight and now two Smarts. :D

I got a Civic Hybrid back in 2003 when they came out though I looked at the Insight and Prius back in 2000 it was only until 2003 when I became conscious about fuel consumption.

(P.S. I do have cars with horsepower as well, but my daily drivers are 3cyl)

dkjones96 12-12-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner (Post 125717)
Good for you!!! I switched down to 3cyl cars a while back and haven't looked back. Geo Metro, Honda Insight and now two Smarts.

Totally not the direction I was going with that one. lol

Jay2TheRescue 12-12-2008 01:17 PM

LOL, when gas was $4/gal I had begun shopping for a vintage Cadillac convertible again... Someday I'll find one that I'll fall in love with, I figured with the high gas prices I might get a deal on one.

-Jay

BumblingB 12-12-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjones96 (Post 125720)
Totally not the direction I was going with that one. lol

I know.....just had to mess with ya though :D You left yourself open. :p

GasSavers_Pete 12-12-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy (Post 125631)
I live south of Boston, MA

OK got it.
Thanks.

Pete.

1993CivicVX 12-14-2008 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northwoods (Post 125591)
I am looking for a good expalanation why we are seeing such cheap gas. THe fall off in demand just does not seem to be enough to warrent a 2X + reduction. If gas were $4 we would have to pay it. Try this on for size: oil co's drop price way down to eliminate alternatives by forcing them into bankupcy, then buy them up. Price goes back up once this is complete enough for them to control the alternatives market and either shut them down or bring them back when its convenient like when oil price gets so high that demand is choked off and we quit all but essential consumption.

I agree that it's a bit puzzling why the price should fall so much. It definitely isn't correlative to demand. We haven't cut our consumption in half!! No way. If consumption has gone down 4% that'd be impressive. Oil is the type of commodity that doesn't fluctuate that much because people need it. The yo-yoing of gas prices has always been a mystery to me.

Lowest gas price I've seen I think is $1.66 in Amherst or Hadley. But it goes down a few cents every week. Obviously prices won't last forever, but I think they could be below $2 for up to a year.