Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   prices vs posts here... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/prices-vs-posts-here-10565.html)

slurp812 12-14-2008 07:55 AM

prices vs posts here...

Is it me or is this place like a ghost town because of sub $2 gas?

Jay2TheRescue 12-14-2008 07:57 AM

Things have slowed down, but sure enough you know the price of fuel will go back up... ;)

-Jay

VetteOwner 12-14-2008 02:40 PM

it creeped up 20 cents here but i dont really care, filled up from half with $18

vectorg 12-14-2008 04:00 PM

Low price or not, I still hyper-mile. I love to go into a long extended glide mode when a big SUV or monster truck comes up and gets right on me. Love it. They too should be saving their money now for the worse times to come. People in my town are still buying huge huge vehicles, and flatout racing between every stop light. When will it change?

slurp812 12-14-2008 04:06 PM

Me too, probably not quite as diligent, but I still do it. 2 tanks ago, I filled up when the light came on, and it was $16 and change!

brucepick 12-14-2008 04:42 PM

The motivation certainly is less with gas down around $1.79 or so.

But I'm still hypermiling. I love the challenge. Would be fun even if gas were under a dollar a gallon. Getting more mpg is just as much of a challenge as getting there faster - but it's a lot safer and for me more interesting. I mean, how much faster can you actually get to work or the mall by using performance driving techniques?? But you CAN actually get there on less fuel by hypermiling.

The only way to get or keep the price down is to reduce demand. Burn less of it. If we increase consumption due to cheap gas, that consumption increases the demand and the price will go back up again.

brucepick 12-14-2008 04:44 PM

Actually, I think it's "Holiday Season" vs. posts.
Pretty much anyone who doesn't live in a cave is busier than usual this time of year.

R.I.D.E. 12-14-2008 06:21 PM

Drove the Insight through the huge storm Thursday from Williamsburg to Va Tech and back.

Worst drive of my life, tractor trailers going 35 on the Interstate in the left lane with flashers on.

I filled the car up for $9.06 after 374 miles. $1.38 per gallon.

I had been averaging close to 60 on the highway, but on this trip the weather was so bad the mileage dropped to 52 on the way back.

Had hoped to cover all 540 miles on a single tank, but it would have been too close with the weather.

Couldn't stop because I had a sleet-hail storm closing in from the west.

regards
gary

jmf 12-15-2008 03:00 AM

it still ruins the planet even when cheap!
hopefully people will still conserve fuel, and think.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 12-16-2008 10:01 AM

I've been thin on the ground for other reasons.

Although as pointed out, however cheap it is, it's plundering a scarce resource and releasing trapped carbon, but...

I'd figure it's an ideal time for doing test runs, get a lot of miles in testing aero mods, driving techniques etc etc. It might be viewed by an eco-nazi as short term environmental murder, but I regard it as investment in knocking down long term consumption. Then when prices are back where it hurts again, your wallet and the planet reaps the benefit.