Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   mpg ceiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/mpg-ceiling-1076.html)

JHatchett 12-07-2012 11:26 PM

mpg ceiling

Any chance of getting the 200 mpg limit raised?

pb 12-08-2012 07:14 AM

No sorry. Unless you have an electric vehicle, 200 MPG isn't a realistic number. So we have the limit in place to keep vehicles with data entry errors from being way out line.

We can't support plug-in electric vehicles at this time. MPG isn't a true comparison of consumption with other vehicles.

I see that you have a Volt. I'm sorry, but we can't support it. You might have better luck at voltstats.net.

JHatchett 12-08-2012 09:32 AM

Voltstats doesn't let me record fuel costs, gasoline or electric.

You seem to be supporting the Prius Plug-In, another plug in hybrid vehicle, albeit PiP drivers struggle to achieve 200+ mpg.

As far as a comparison with other vehicles, gallons of gasoline consumed is still a valid comparison.

Why not remove the limit, or require a checkbox to confirm the data entry when the 200+ limit is exceeded?

I have considered adding kWh fuel ups, using the EPA's 33.7 kWh = 1 gallon of gasoline. You could make that entry easier by supporting kWh as a unit like liters.

pb 12-08-2012 10:03 AM

You seem to be supporting the Prius Plug-In...

That's true. We added the Prius plug-in before we realized they'd be reaching around 200 MPG/fuel-up. They've sort of been grandfathered in at this point. We're still considering removing them from the public directory.

We don't want to remove the limit because we'd suddenly have a lot of cars getting over 200 MPG due to data entry errors. They happen all the time. We'd rather show nothing there so people have an incentive to fix the problem.

Requiring a second confirmation step isn't a great option. We allow fuel-ups via SMS and Fuelly Mobile where it's more difficult to have that sort of back-and-forth interaction. We'd rather keep things simple because over the vast number of people fueling up here the simple approach works better and ends up with better data.

I hear you and understand your frustration. We're just not ready to support plug-in electric vehicles right now. It's something we're thinking about. If we do it, we want to do it right—not have halfway hacks that sort of work. Again, sorry we can't support your car right now.

JHatchett 12-08-2012 11:25 AM

ok.

I made a few monthly entries to reflect my charging consumption, using 33.7 kWh as the equivalent of 1 gallon of gasoline.

I guess what needs to be added is some way to support duel fuel tanks. I have duel fuel tanks one of my farm trucks so I don't think it is unique to plug in vehicles. I edited all the fuel ups to be partials.

Charon 12-09-2012 05:21 AM

I had dual fuel tanks on my F-150, too. All I did was fuel both tanks at the same time and use the total amount of fuel. It doesn't matter whether thirty gallons goes into one tank or two. The place it would make a difference would be a vehicle which can use two TYPES of fuel, whether propane/gas or electricity/gas.

JHatchett 12-10-2012 10:45 PM

I usually don't fill up both tanks, just the one I emptied. I figure I want to go through the other tank and burn the older gas rather than blending it with fresh gas. I used to pay attention to having one tank with the current seasonal blend if I took the truck into the city but I don't take it off the ranch anymore.

Converting kWh to gallons seems to be working. my "mpg average" is more or less reflecting MPGe.

I think I might put together a simple smartphone app to do the conversion on the phone and SMS the fuelly update, keeping the original kWhs in the notes.

ie.

"odometer" "gallons equivalent" "gallon equivalent price" "net kWh, gross kWh, total price of charge"

JHatchett 12-13-2012 08:33 PM

I just noticed the site is supporting the Ford C-Max plug-in as well as the Prius Plug In.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/c-max%20energi

So is it just going to be plug-ins that are averaging under 200 mpg?

pb 12-13-2012 11:15 PM

For the time being, yes.

PriusLuvR 12-18-2012 05:26 AM

Sad.

I'm at about 310mpg on my Prius Plug In at 5500 miles and was hoping to use fuelly to track mileage. But apparently won't be able to.