Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Can I EOC with a 97 prizm? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/can-i-eoc-with-a-97-prizm-10803.html)

civic94 02-15-2009 02:25 PM

Can I EOC with a 97 prizm?

i'm just trying to squeeze a bit better gas mileage with my car, its a 3 speed auto (yea i know it sucks), the tranny code is A130. same as the 97 corolla

just want to know if its safe for the tranny, like just put it in Neutral, and shut the engine off. I heard somewhere that some transmissions need fluid circulating when its moving, or something like that. thanks!

GasSavers_BEEF 02-16-2009 04:56 AM

I didn't think you could EOC an automatic. I would definitely wait until someone told me otherwise. transmissions are expensive. I want to say you can do something to kill the injectors but you leave it in drive when you do that. I still think people are talking about stick shift cars when they say that too.

stay safe, and don't burn anything up.

theholycow 02-16-2009 05:55 AM

There are few automatics that you can EOC.

One way to find out is to look in the car's manual or check RV forums/newsgroups to see if it can be flat-towed. Another way is to try to find out if the transmission oil pump is driven by the input shaft or the output shaft. If it's driven by the output shaft then you can EOC. Finally, there are some that are abnormal designs and can EOC; AFAIK older Saturns have an automatic transmission whose design is more like a manual transmission.

GasSavers_BEEF 02-16-2009 08:37 AM

yea but how would you bump start the engine when your speed is too low? that is the part I don't understand. I have heard of people coasting (engine off) into their driveway and just parking it, but to do it on the road and having to start the car again while rolling?

theholycow 02-16-2009 09:01 AM

Ah...that's a whole other question. You wouldn't bump start; it's possible (neutral drop) but I suspect it would put a lot of wear on the transmission. You'd electric start. It's slightly less efficient than bump starting and significantly more annoying (IMO) but still worthwhile.

civic94 02-16-2009 12:11 PM

I EOC'd a few days before I asked this question. hope i didnt burn anything, the longest ones that i did was about 3/4 mile.

im just used to EOCing with my civic 5 speed and my new 3 speed auto prizm is getting bad gas mileage no matter how i drive.

GasSavers_BEEF 02-16-2009 12:47 PM

transmission swap?

maybe not worth the hassle

civic94 02-17-2009 11:17 AM

is it ok if I put it in neutral and coast, with engine on? or its the same as EOC?

i checked the owners manual, its not flat towable

dkjones96 02-17-2009 11:29 AM

Neutral coast is okay, the hydraulic pump in the transmission continues to operate while the transmission is in neutral.

theholycow 02-17-2009 11:59 AM

^What he said. Also, try to rev-match when going from N to D.