Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   EVAP effects on mileage Currently disconnected. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/evap-effects-on-mileage-currently-disconnected-10811.html)

guest001 02-17-2009 04:53 PM

EVAP effects on mileage Currently disconnected.

My evap has been disconnected for quite some time now. Probably since I still had TBI on my civic and shortly after converting to MPFI. I put a 92-95 Intake manifold on shortly after. If your familiar with older hondas you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I just realized I had the solenoid hookup wrong with my current setup and I plan on install it shortly. but I'm interested if this might increase mileage at all. Well I'll see, but let look at it in a more technical manner.

If you have a 1/2 gallon of water. you put it in a pan and you boil the water for say a couple minutes, then turn off the heat source and let it cool to room temp. you have less water. Same scenario in a car. If I just dump it to the atmosphere I'm wasting fuel. But the question is it really boiling any if at all in the winter at temps between 30-50 F? But there is the exhaust and pump running to heat it up too.

So, if I do hook it up, and since fuel has to be vaporized to burn effectively anyway. and the computer learns that the motors running slightly rich and leaned out the mixture. in theory the evap should increase mileage a bit compared to dumping it..............

JanGeo 02-17-2009 06:37 PM

yup any fuel that you burn gives you more power/range. The system is supposed to release the trapped hydrocarbons from the charcoal canister into the engine when you start it up at a slow rate so that is burns cleanly. There have been food hydrocarbons ground up with a blender and cooked with the heat of the exhaust to give off gasses of hydrocarbons and fed into the intake of a diesel in a Humvee and it ran on it. Was on the special about traveling across America on BioFuels - no gas.

theholycow 02-18-2009 04:38 AM

Reminds me of Coolfuel Roadtrip, when they used a gasifier to run an RV on waste food.

aalb1 02-18-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest001 (Post 128635)
If your familiar with older hondas you know what I'm talking about.

I'm not familiar with the term TBI for Honda's but I assume that means Throttle Body Injection? On older Honda's I am familiar with the DPFI system (Dual Point Fuel Injection). I assume this is what you mean.

Let me ask you, what differences did you see in your Fuel Economy? I know there's so many mixed feelings about it. MPFI has the potential to be more efficient if the maps are altered but the DPFI was designed for efficiency from the factory.

JanGeo 02-18-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 128650)
Reminds me of Coolfuel Roadtrip, when they used a gasifier to run an RV on waste food.

YAH That was it!

theholycow 02-18-2009 06:59 AM

Eh, you were right, it was a hummer.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/uploa...tte-1-CMYK.jpg

What did they run the RV on, then?

JanGeo 02-18-2009 09:38 AM

Just about everything you might eat - not me but - things like burgers and fries to fruits and vegetables from what I remember. I can't imagine what came out of the cooker after it was used up . . . yuck!

theholycow 02-18-2009 09:49 AM

No, I mean...they ran a Hummer on the gasifier, so I must have been confused about the RV. What fuel was the RV running if it wasn't the gasifier?

They did dump all kinds of leftovers in the gasifier, they spent like half the show's length showing what kinds of foods they were making and dumping in. I specifically remember a seafood gumbo. Yuck indeed.

aalb1 02-18-2009 09:55 AM

I'm sure the Fruit Loops in the lower right corner made it smell better!

JanGeo 02-18-2009 11:53 AM

I think they ran the RV on biodiesel and various oils directly. They also had solar panels on top to power up the electronics I seem to recall. They also ran an electric scooter for some of the trip. Somewhere there was a vehicle with solar panels on top making HHO gas feeding the engine but I think that was the stretch HUMVEE which burnt out the brake rotors coming down a mountain full of twisty turns.