Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Giving up HyperMiling for Lent (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/giving-up-hypermiling-for-lent-10842.html)

aalb1 02-25-2009 07:49 AM

Giving up HyperMiling for Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday which marks the beginning of the Lenten Season. And so I decided to give up Hypermiling for Lent.

I am not giving Hypermiling up just so I don't need to be that annoying guy in the right lane that speeds up and slows down. Rather the goal is to let my commute be devoted to meditation on Jesus Christ. In addition to this I won't be listening to NPR or any radio/music... just wind and road noise!

The specifics:
  • Observance of the Speed Limit... NO SPEEDING!
  • Use of Cruise Control on Highway
  • Less aggressive gliding is OK but Pulse & Gliding is NOT OK.
  • No EOC.
  • Turning off engine at stop lights is OK.
  • Gentle acceleration.
  • Right Lane Driving... No passing.
  • No use of the heater.
  • I will still be using my Block Heater, grill block, WAI, etc.
  • I will still be recording my mileage so it will be interesting to see what I average over the next 40 days.

By the way yesterday was Fat Tuesday so I ate 5 JBC's (Jr Bacon Cheeseburgers) from Wendy's and Pulse & Glided from 55mph to 40mph with my hazards on :D :D :D

GasSavers_BEEF 02-25-2009 07:54 AM

you could take it one step further and listen to bible-on-cd during your commute.

I got lucky and found them at the dollar store. I ended up getting the entire new testimate for around $20.

JanGeo 02-25-2009 08:11 AM

Being an old Roman Catholic - are you not supposed to be giving up BAD things during lent not GOOD things?

aalb1 02-25-2009 08:11 AM

Beef:
Nope... It's way too easy for me to listen to the bible or sermon on CD compared to meditating. On today's ride it was amazing to feel how UN-Busy I felt when not P&EOC, excessive Shifting, and excessive glancing at the speedometer & tach. An Un-Busied mind is what I need right now.

JanGeo:
My mindset isn't to just give something up, good or bad. My mindset is to meditate on Christ while sacrifice something, in this case hypermiling. I was raised Catholic too. As a good Catholic Altar Boy, what Lent meant for me was no burgers or Pepperoni on my Pizza or burgers on Fridays. Now it means much more than just giving something up.

Let me tell you it was a lot more of a struggle commuting @ 55 mph with no radio rather than P&EOC between 60-50mph (45 when I can) with the radio on. There's almost an adrelnaline rush that I receive from hypermiling. If you're an aggressive hypermiler with a majority of your commute being the highway, try going steady throttle with no radio... you'll probably be surprised how much harder it is than you think.

GasSavers_BEEF 02-25-2009 08:17 AM

I think good is relative. anything that takes the focus off of christ can be considered bad.

some groups take that line of thinking to the extreme though in my opinion.

cems70 02-25-2009 11:34 AM

Doesn't hypermiling become second nature after awhile, just another way of driving, so much that it doesn't require any extra attention/concentration? I do EOC, turn off the engine at stop lights etc. w/o giving it a second thought. I often find myself in a different state already when I'm driving/hypermiling.

I'm a recovering Catholic, so even if I were to gain some extra concentration or meditation time from not hypermiling, I wouldn't spend the time pondering my former religion. More power to you, though.

aalb1 02-25-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cems70 (Post 129075)
Doesn't hypermiling become second nature after awhile, just another way of driving, so much that it doesn't require any extra attention/concentration?

Yes and no... I hardly hypermile with my wife in the car because this is the way that it goes.

Wife: "Alex, are you doing that thing with your car?"

Me: "Oh you mean pulse and gliding? Yea... did you notice my car speeding up and slowing down?"

Wife: "No, but I did notice you're answering all my questions in on word or less."

So I'm just trying the same thing with God. :)

bowtieguy 02-25-2009 05:18 PM

are you fasting anything as well?

aalb1 02-25-2009 06:03 PM

NPR/music in the car and fast food.

VetteOwner 02-25-2009 07:54 PM

umm does hmm well my 21 st birthday is today so uhh ive taken upon drinking.... alot.... O_o lol