Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Extra Compressor Oil (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/extra-compressor-oil-10885.html)

bowtieguy 03-05-2009 11:47 AM

Extra Compressor Oil

went to NAPA today to get a new MAF sensor and remembered i needed to change my air compressor oil. all they had was qt size, and all i need is 6oz(1 hp compressor).

so i change it and put another 6oz in the original factory supplied bottle. so i've got 20oz left. would it be ok to put it in my vehicles(both burn a little oil)?

it's amsoil BTW rated for 8k hours. as little as i use the thing, 16k hours will take forever to reach.

Jay2TheRescue 03-05-2009 12:41 PM

I wouldn't put compressor oil in a car, no matter how good of an oil its supposed to be. Its the wrong viscocity.

bowtieguy 03-05-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 129554)
I wouldn't put compressor oil in a car, no matter how good of an oil its supposed to be. Its the wrong viscocity.

i thought of that, but less than a qt of 20 weight. couldn't be that bad could it? maybe i could use it next winter as cold weather here, now is just about gone.

Jay2TheRescue 03-05-2009 02:17 PM

yeah, but normally compressor is non detergent single viscosity oil. I would not mix it with a multiweight detergent lubricant.

-Jay

theholycow 03-05-2009 04:47 PM

If your car is burning enough oil that you could put that in without worrying about it, it would probably be more worthwhile to buy the cheapest properly-rated oil that Walmart has.

bowtieguy 03-06-2009 12:22 PM

HC,

it's not an issue...

both vehicles burn less than a qt between changes. and considering that my change intervals are 6 months(irrespective of mileage), the extra cost of amsoil is not a concern.

to be clear, the oil is changed yearly, and the filter every 6 months. maybe it's the florida heat and humidity, but i've seen what dino oil can do to a motor--no thank you.

Jay2TheRescue 03-06-2009 12:53 PM

With 190,000 miles on it, Rusty was so clean underneath when I took off the oil pan that it looked like a new engine from the bottom. Rusty has run on nothing but Mobil1 10w 30 for the past 50,000 or 60,000 miles with 5,000 mile change intervals.

GasSavers_GasUser 03-06-2009 02:26 PM

Bowtieguy...Get a hand oiler and put it in that. There is always something that needs to be oiled like you lawn mower axle or something. That type of oil is not meant for an engine.

And you said "I have seen what dino oil does to engines".....dino oil in itself, does not adversely affect engines, improper maintenance does. I have run dino for over 200,000 miles in my other GMC truck and the motor is clean and no leaks, and it does not burn oil, and starts every morning no matter how cold it is out. Synthetic oil is better, but dino is not "bad oil" just because it is dino.

Jay2TheRescue 03-06-2009 02:46 PM

I think that is the best idea yet...

bowtieguy 03-06-2009 03:01 PM

GasUser,

fantastic idea! i only recently aquired a "hand oiler" (from my father in law). i've always used wd40 or hand greased hinges and what not.

in regard to synthetic over dino...

it's cheap insurance for those unforseen events like over heating and oil pump failure. not to mention "scheduled" extended intervals. you know, "i'll get to it eventually."