Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Realtime mpg displays - safety hazard? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/realtime-mpg-displays-safety-hazard-10951.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 03-20-2009 12:46 AM

Realtime mpg displays - safety hazard?

One thing I noticed when I had a ScanGauge II is that I definitely was more distracted from my driving. The number of times I'd wind up at my destination without being about to remember the specifics of the drive increased (well, other than the mpg values - those specifics increased). I live in a rural area and rarely even see a child on the street, but it made me nervous. Anyone else worry about the proliferation of such distractions?

I think the ScanGauge's distraction level might have lessened a bit with time once the novelty had worn off. Also, the ScanGuage just gives you the raw numbers, so turning those into actions requires more thought than if it instead gave you direct feedback about what you should be doing with the gas pedal. Presumably I would've become better at that over time as well. I sold it off mostly because the behaviours were pretty simple and I thought I'd absorbed them (well, and 'cuz I'm cheap).

theholycow 03-20-2009 02:19 AM

This would depend on the individual. For me, it keeps me concentrated on driving. If I didn't have the Scangauge and didn't spend my excess capacity thinking about saving fuel, then my mind would be totally off somewhere else on something completely unrelated to driving, and my eyes/hands might be messing with some device not related to driving.

I just can't concentrate on plain old driving and keep focused on it, I need something to fill up my mind, eyes, and hands. If that something is related to driving, that works out well for me.

Other people who are better at focusing would have different results.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-20-2009 02:22 AM

I often listen to podcasts when I drive, and I don't find it distracts me that much. I wonder if the simple act of my looking at the gauge rather the the road is what my major problem was?

Maybe an audible feeback for mpg? That wouldn't be annoying at ALL! I still think an mpg cruise control would be useful. The patent exists, but I haven't seen anything in a real product.

jeep45238 03-20-2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximilian (Post 130246)
One thing I noticed when I had a ScanGauge II is that I definitely was more distracted from my driving. The number of times I'd wind up at my destination without being about to remember the specifics of the drive increased (well, other than the mpg values - those specifics increased). I live in a rural area and rarely even see a child on the street, but it made me nervous. Anyone else worry about the proliferation of such distractions?

I think the ScanGauge's distraction level might have lessened a bit with time once the novelty had worn off. Also, the ScanGuage just gives you the raw numbers, so turning those into actions requires more thought than if it instead gave you direct feedback about what you should be doing with the gas pedal. Presumably I would've become better at that over time as well. I sold it off mostly because the behaviours were pretty simple and I thought I'd absorbed them (well, and 'cuz I'm cheap).

Pretty sure the problem is with YOU and not the Scan Gauge. It's no more distracting than a tachometer or a speedometer.

Jay2TheRescue 03-20-2009 04:35 AM

I have my SG mounted right by my instrument cluster. I glance over the figures when I read my gauges (every few seconds). For me its no different than reading the speedometer, tach, and oil pressure.

GasSavers_NovaResource 03-20-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep45238 (Post 130260)
Pretty sure the problem is with YOU and not the Scan Gauge. It's no more distracting than a tachometer or a speedometer.

^^^ 100% correct. If the scangauge distracts you then you shouldn't be driving in the first place. It's nothing more than just another gauge. Speedometer, tachometer, fuel level, coolant temp, oil pressure, etc. The gauges inform the driver as to how the vehicle is performing. If any one of those distracts you too much you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Things like cell phones and in-dash DVD players are the real distractions and should be banned from vehicles.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-20-2009 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaResource (Post 130269)
If the scangauge distracts you then you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

That seems...unwarranted.

GasSavers_NovaResource 03-20-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximilian (Post 130272)

That wasn't directed at you specifically but rather at the the general driving public.

However, if the shoe fits...

aalb1 03-20-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximilian (Post 130272)

That did seem a little extreme. One thing to point out is with our peripheral vision our brain has an easier time processing the visual of an analog gauge opposed to a digital gauge. This is why when car companies are switching to a digital instrument cluster there is a decent amount to R&D in placement, daytime & nighttime visual output, and "font" size.

The scangauge simply does not have the most efficient combination of these characteristics when viewed visually in a car. This will affect some drivers more than others.

aalb1 03-20-2009 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaResource (Post 130274)
That wasn't directed at you specifically but rather at the the general driving public.

However, if the shoe fits...

Oh come on! We all see right through that one. :rolleyes: