Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Alternate Radiator Locations (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/alternate-radiator-locations-10954.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 03-20-2009 01:20 AM

Alternate Radiator Locations

Since the radiator is connected via hoses I was thinking one could in theory locate a cooling heat exchanger in other locations (and with other configurations). I'm not seriously planning this (although I DO have some surplus truck A/C condensors kicking around...), but was curious if it might spark some ideas in any of you folks.

jeep45238 03-20-2009 03:48 AM

Yes, it is very common when dealing with project truck where the engine is mounted behind the cab in the bed. You wouldn't really gain anything by doing it though for a standard vehicle.

bobc455 03-20-2009 04:12 AM

We used to race in an Enduro.

In some of the races we would overheat. So we routed the heater hoses to the trunk, and installed an additional radiator in the trunk (complete with electric fan)- never even came close to overheating again.

-BC

GasSavers_maximilian 03-20-2009 09:15 AM

I knew someone with a DeLorean, and it had hoses to hook the radiator up to the rear mounted engine. He had some trouble with it, I seem to recall. That car was a money pit.

Jay2TheRescue 03-20-2009 09:23 AM

I know several ambulance manufacturers place additional A/C condensers underneath the truck, and put electric fans on them to boost the A/C output. I'm sure you could just as easily do the same with a radiator.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-20-2009 09:26 AM

They have a shield to prevent rocks and such from damaging them I assume?

GasSavers_NovaResource 03-20-2009 10:21 AM

NASCAR stock cars have rear axle oil coolers that are just mini radiators for rear oil instead of engine coolant. Those radiators are located under the car with a small electric fan for cooling.

There are really only 2 factors that are impoprtant in the location of the engine coolant radiator: air flow and protection. As long as the radiator is getting enough air flow and is protected from damage, the location isn't important.

GasSavers_maximilian 03-20-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaResource (Post 130306)
There are really only 2 factors that are impoprtant in the location of the engine coolant radiator: air flow and protection. As long as the radiator is getting enough air flow and is protected from damage, the location isn't important.

Blowing air into a big box (the engine compartment) just seems less efficient than other options, especially if some sort of damper could be used in to close it off when not needed.

Now that's an idea...what about a servo motor hooked to some sort of shutter than opens when the radiator fans kick on? The electronics are simple for that, so it's really about the shutter design. That has possible retrofit applications.

bobc455 03-20-2009 11:00 AM

A servo motor? That's a wicked-expensive way to do something very simple. A much cheaper thing might be a vacuum-operated solenoid, or even just a DC motor.

Don't forget, though, that warm air generally helps MPG so it is beneficial to pre-heat the air going into the engine compartment...

-BC

GasSavers_maximilian 03-20-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobc455 (Post 130313)
A servo motor? That's a wicked-expensive way to do something very simple. A much cheaper thing might be a vacuum-operated solenoid, or even just a DC motor.

Don't forget, though, that warm air generally helps MPG so it is beneficial to pre-heat the air going into the engine compartment...
-BC

RC car servos aren't so bad, depending on how big. This would basically be a retractable grille block, right? What's the jury's verdict on those?