Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Trailer Light Kits (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/trailer-light-kits-10982.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 03-24-2009 11:18 AM

Trailer Light Kits

I have a cheapo trailer and the rear lights are shot. Rusted out sockets that require more and more attention. Cracked lenses too. The side running lights seem fine. Does anyone have a recommendation/source for replacements? I'm on the fence about going with LEDs. They cost a lot more and I don't use the trailer much. I do glance at surplus LED arrays from time to time and consider plopping them in the existing enclosures. Seems like a lot of effort for a few bucks. Thanks.

GasSavers_BEEF 03-24-2009 11:53 AM

those things really are expensive.

I found the best deal at harbor freight. www.harborfreight.com they still aren't cheap but at least it will give you some options. I also checked northern tools www.northerntool.com but they were more expensive.

theholycow 03-24-2009 12:07 PM

I'll second the Harbor Freight recommendation. For that application, I wouldn't even waste a minute of my time looking at any other options unless I could get something totally free without much effort.

You can get a complete kit for under $20, individual lights with just pigtails for $8/each, an LED kit for $40, or LED lights for $13/each. That's the regular website price, if you get their mailings you're likely to find them cheaper.

bobc455 03-24-2009 12:17 PM

Last time I needed new trailer lights, I just went into my local K-mart and bought them off the shelf. They are MUCH easier to find than I thought! I think they were $10 each including bulbs.

I bet your local auto parts store has some on the shelf too.

-BC

GasSavers_maximilian 03-24-2009 12:28 PM

Harbor Freight is my best online place (so far). Of course, the cheapo trailer lights were from there to begin with! Local options are limited to more expensive small chains, but I should check them out anyway. Thanks all.

Last season I soldered bulbs directly to the wires as the sockets were shot. Tired of doing things like that.

bobc455 03-24-2009 12:36 PM

If that auto parts store is still there in Swanton (just off of rt 89 - exit 123 I think), I bet they have it.

-BC

GasSavers_maximilian 03-24-2009 12:42 PM

The one's In Newport are much closer. I forgot there's an AutoZone there now! No rush anyway, I can wait until I have enough errands to justify a trip to a more built up area.

theholycow 03-24-2009 02:08 PM

Perhaps some sort of anti-corrosive electric grease on the bulb socket could help avoid future corrosion?

GasSavers_maximilian 03-24-2009 02:12 PM

Good idea. I think not having cracks in the lenses will go a long way as well. The trailer gets stored outside in the winter (in case my snowblower breaks and I need to haul it in for repairs) so it sees a ton of water.

Mayhim 03-25-2009 04:58 AM

Our local farm store had replacements when I needed some. Tractor Supply. I suspect it goes by other names in other parts of the country. Also, there would be local ones that go by other names. Lots of good stuff in those stores...