Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Pyramid Schemes (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/pyramid-schemes-11021.html)

dkjones96 03-30-2009 02:33 PM

Pyramid Schemes

Anyone here ever been involved in one? What's your story?

bowtieguy 03-30-2009 02:55 PM

is that in regard to sales and recruiting?

dkjones96 03-30-2009 02:58 PM

Pretty much. The classic 'you work under me and you have your own recruits' scenario.

Ratman667 03-30-2009 03:02 PM

My manager at work, fell into that whole Monavie thing. Now her tries to sell that crap more than he tries to sell tires...

bowtieguy 03-30-2009 03:09 PM

never been a part of one but, just an observation...

they can be ok if you have a legit, sellable product THAT REQUIRES NO INVESTMENT ON YOUR PART. if it's a good product, you'll want to buy it.

a very small % of those would fall under that catagory i would dare say. again, just an observation of what i've seen and heard.

i'm a potentially terrible recruit because i couldn't sell water in the desert, and i don't buy much beyond absolute needs.

oh, and don't expect to get rich!

theholycow 03-30-2009 03:49 PM

My wife is selling Avon. I don't know if she's making any money at it.

aalb1 04-02-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 131321)
My wife is selling Avon. I don't know if she's making any money at it.

Mary Kay with my wife.

My Aunt does this thing with Primerica that is attached to Citi. She came over our house to talk about financial planning to help us out as my wife and I are "Young and in-debt." All it was was a recruiting session on how I can get involved. :thumbdown:

GasSavers_BEEF 04-02-2009 09:02 AM

I got a letter in the mail yesterday to send 7 people a dollar each and to add my name to the list of people and sent that list to 7 more people. it had in bold letters.

MAKE $250,000 IN WEEKS!!!!

the funny thing about it, right under that in bold letter was

THIS IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!!!!!

I got a good laugh out of it but it will see the trash pretty soon.

Jay2TheRescue 04-02-2009 09:08 AM

My mother is into this thing where you mail out 7 scratch off lottery tickets, and add your name to the list. I think its a bunch of BS. I love how the letter says "This is not a chain letter"... BS.

-Jay

bowtieguy 04-02-2009 09:34 AM

gotta mention this, tho it's not the same thing, just along those lines...

i knew a guy that placed ads in the back of newspapers and magazines. you know the kind that advertises products that are sitting in a warehouse ready to be shipped.

anyway, he did this "no overhead" selling VERY successfully. after he got a call order, he would immediately call the warehouse to ship that order. he did well enough to live in a classy neiborhood and he drove nice cars.

inversely, he did not want recruits as it was just competition. point being that scam or not, it depends on the individual. look at kevin trudeau, he was/is the ultimate successful scam artist. but, he does it in a way that gives ideas(conspiracies) of merit. even a liar sometimes tells the truth.