Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Underappreciated Movies/Shows (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/underappreciated-movies-shows-11074.html)

GasSavers_maximilian 04-09-2009 03:59 PM

Underappreciated Movies/Shows

If anybody has a favorite movie or television show that's off the radar, share it with us!

For me, the BBC TV series The Sandbaggers is really fantastic if you like the genre. Typical BBC in that they make up for low budgets with great writing and acting. Not James Bond cheesy at all, but a little less dry than John le Carre can be sometimes. This was my all time favorite show until The Wire came along, but that's hardly under appreciated.

I also found the Australian movie Flirting very good. Again, you have to like the genre, but it has a dry satirical humor I appreciate. Very well executed, and better than the one that preceded it (not at all necessary to have seen it to enjoy this sequel). Regrettably the planned third film was never made.

Running List: as of 6/13/2009:

This is the sorted list of all movies discussed in this thread along with their Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB scores (when available). Since movies can share names, the link to their IMDB page is added.
Breaker Morant ( 100% / 8.1 )
The Bucket List ( 41% / 7.5 )
Carnivale ( NA / 9.1 )
Coupling ( NA / 9.2 )
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (10% / 3.7 )
Flirting ( 93% / 7.0 )
Generation Kill ( NA / 8.9 )
Island in the Sky ( NA / 6.9 )
The IT Crowd ( NA / 9.0 )
Man Bites Dog ( 88% / 7.6 )
The Man Who Would be King ( 100% / 8.0 )
Manhunter ( 94% / 7.2 )
Over There (NA / 8.1)
Paths of Glory ( 92% / 8.6 )
Raise the Red Lantern ( 96% / 8.0 )
The Sandbaggers ( NA / 8.9 )
The Shawshank Redemption ( 89% / 9.2 )
The Shield ( NA / 8.9 )
Taking of the Pelham One Two Three ( 100% / 7.7 )
UHF ( 52% / 6.6 )
Ultraviolet ( NA / 8.4 )
Who Killed the Electric Car ( 89% / 7.7 )
Yojimbo ( 97% / 8.3 )

Jay2TheRescue 04-09-2009 04:34 PM

As far as British TV is concerned, I love Coupling...

-Jay

GasSavers_maximilian 04-09-2009 04:47 PM

Coupling is hilarious, even when they go too far! I think Jeff is the best part of that whole show. The guy who plays Steve was in a good miniseries called Ultraviolet.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good feel for what is and isn't exposed. Cult stuff is out there I figure.

Jay2TheRescue 04-09-2009 05:07 PM

Jeff was a favorite of mine, but I'd have to say that I got many laughs from Patrick as well... and what he keeps in his "cupboard of love"

bowtieguy 04-09-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximilian (Post 132177)
Not James Bond cheesy at all...

careful! bond, mission impossible, star wars, etc are not cheesy to some. :D

GasSavers_maximilian 04-09-2009 06:40 PM

From Russia With Love was really good. Except for the ultra cheesy gypsy scene! :p

Speaking of Robert Shaw movies, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three was good.

bowtieguy 04-10-2009 12:57 PM

i believe USA network had a weekly program called "Over There" illustrating the lives of our military personell and the politics holding them back from succeeding moreso.

based on real life complications of real life men and women.

bowtieguy 04-10-2009 01:00 PM

found it! it was on FX...

https://www.tv.com/over-there/show/16443/summary.html

GREAT program! look at the comments, i'm not alone in appreciating it.

the closing song was well written and touching.

GasSavers_maximilian 04-10-2009 01:05 PM

I saw a couple episodes of that! Forgot the name. Didn't catch enough to really form a decent opinion. After The Shield I take FX seriously. You might want to check out Generation Kill, if you haven't already. It was really well done.

GasSavers_maximilian 04-11-2009 10:56 AM

Thought of a couple more movies that were really good but most people don't seem to have heard of. Going back a bit so it may just be generational.

Breaker Morant
The Man Who Would Be King