Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   just bought my 2nd VX (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/just-bought-my-2nd-vx-11135.html)

redEGG 04-18-2009 04:14 PM

just bought my 2nd VX

Hello Everyone,

I just bought my 2nd VX. The first one was a long time ago, and I didn't really care for gas mileage. Now I'm older and wiser ;)
This will be my daily driver so I hope to get at least 50mpg if possible.
I'm actually thinking of swapping my engine out for a JDM vx engine/transmission.
the engine has about 160k miles and the tranny needs a new INPUT SHAFT BEARING.
The cost to replace the engine/tranny vs just installing a new input shaft bearing is almost the same....
what do you guys think?

jadziasman 04-19-2009 06:31 AM

Repairing your current tranny will not cost you much if you have the tools and time. I replaced the mainshaft bearing on my VX. The only cost was the bearing ($20). I needed to buy a few tools but I have used them after the repair for other jobs. I put in a new clutch at the same time since I was already there.

If you don't want to replace the bearing yourself, installing a JDM engine/tranny might be your best bet since the labor charge to replace that bearing will probably be $500 or more.

want2buyVX 04-19-2009 08:55 AM

Is the INPUT SHAFT BEARING a thing that is guaranteed to fail in these Civic VX (1992-1995) ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

jadziasman 04-19-2009 10:28 AM

The mainshaft or input shaft bearings tend to fail only if the oil level in the transmission is too low. In my case, one of the axle seals leaked. I found out after I replaced the bearing and saw oil on the subframe behind the axle. Replacing that seal seems to have solved the problem - maybe. I have driven 50K miles on the tranny since the bearing replacement - no noise.

IndyFetch 04-20-2009 11:32 AM

I paid $815 at a local Honda dealer to replace the input and output shaft bearings. I didn't have the know-how to do it myself, and could not find anyone to do it cheaper. Even mom-and-pop shops wanted at least $850 just to look at it.

redEGG 04-21-2009 04:26 PM

Ya, I was given a rough estimate of 900 - 1200 to replace the input shaft bearing. Thats why i figured for 800 more I can get a 40k JDM Vtec-E engine and a JDM transmission installed with a new waterpump and timing belt. I'll basically have a pretty new car and hopefully I'll be hitting at least 50mpg. :)

nowhhs 04-22-2009 06:54 AM

Don't assume that just because the importer tells you the JDM engine has 40k on it that it won't need work. I bought one of those and had to re-ring it. It smoked like an engine with 300k on it. There was very little wear on the bearings, so I don't doubt the mileage, but there was no way I could drive it the way I got it. With only 160k on yours, I definitely would not do a swap unless there is an obvious problem with it.