Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Carnival cruise lines (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/carnival-cruise-lines-11226.html)

zero_gravity 05-12-2009 04:51 AM

i remember the inspiration was the boat leaving at the same time from miami as the boat i was on at the time

GasSavers_BEEF 05-12-2009 07:04 AM

it was a nice boat. it had a mini golf on the top and a huge slide in the kids area. it was remodeled in 2004 I think it was put into service in 1996 but I may be a little off on that date.

given this new information (about all the other cruise lines following suit) I don't really look down on carnival as much as I did. I do wish that there was some sort of guarantee. carnival does have a guarantee but to take advantage of it, you have to act before you get to the first port-of-call.

I have always had a good time on carnival cruises. I may go on another one. I will wait until all the swine flu scare dies down though. maybe next year.

GasSavers_maximilian 05-12-2009 07:09 AM

I've been trying to work out how I feel about their actions and I'm still a bit conflicted. It's not like it was their idea to cancel at the last minute. I certainly see where you're coming from, though.

Almost makes me wonder if there should be a form of insurance for such things. :)

GasSavers_BEEF 05-12-2009 07:33 AM

I actually did get insurance (which the travel agents always recommend). it gives you a full refund if you don't go on the cruise regardless of the reason.

the minute I stepped on the boat, that insurance didn't matter.

and actually it was their idea to cancel (I'm not saying it was a bad idea). I am not sure the organization (I don't think it was the CDC but can't remember who) were making recomendations at the time that you don't do any "non-essential travel to mexico". it was just a recomendation but then the SUE factor kicks in after that.

I think it could have been handled better but they were between a rock and a hard place. as a cruiser, I feel we should have gotten more but as a manager of CCL (carnival cruise lines) they have to look at the whole picture and you are right about that. it would have been a huge loss in revenue. there were several boats going to mexico when they cancelled all their trips.

if there were specific insurance for missed ports of call, I would purchase it (depending on price of course). that may be something to look into.

GasSavers_maximilian 05-12-2009 07:40 AM

My ex wife had a trip to Barbados all arranged and fell seriously ill a week before (bedridden for more than a year). Lost almost all her pre-paid arrangements. They wouldn't budge an inch. Guess she should've gotten some insurance! I almost never travel so I'm pretty ignorant of such things. Good to know.

GasSavers_maximilian 05-12-2009 08:19 AM

Out of curiosity, what sort of payout and cost would such port of call insurance be worth to you?

GasSavers_BEEF 05-12-2009 08:43 AM

I have always heard that the port tax and port fees accounted for close to $100 per person per port. I would think that if it were a descent percentange of that (maybe 10-20%) it would be reasonable.

I think the insurance we got for the entire cruise was only 50-100 dollars (that is per person though).

why? thinking of starting a business?

GasSavers_maximilian 05-12-2009 09:29 AM

Nah, just trying to put the inconvenience into perspective. Idle curiosity.

GasSavers_BEEF 05-12-2009 09:46 AM

I have gone from completely ticked, screw carnival, never dealing with them again.....

to, well, it is policy and that is more than others did (other cruise lines) I have had 3 other enjoyable experiences. might as well give it another try.

another family that went with us on the cruise (first time cruisers) has already put a deposit on a cruise for july of '10 (2010). they saw the potential of a good vacation despite the experience and maybe I should do the same.