Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Diesels (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Diesel Prices? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/diesel-prices-11272.html)

bowtieguy 05-13-2009 02:20 PM

Diesel Prices?

i may be a bit slow, but i realized yesterday that diesel is now CHEAPER than 87 octane gas! i drive a diesel truck everyday, and i never thought it possible. maybe supply is ahead of demand, but hopefully this will become a long trend.

i wonder if this will stimulate diesel auto sales and help slow the coming inflation, especially to delivered goods?

Sludgy 05-16-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 134496)
i may be a bit slow, but i realized yesterday that diesel is now CHEAPER than 87 octane gas! i drive a diesel truck everyday, and i never thought it possible. maybe supply is ahead of demand, but hopefully this will become a long trend.

i wonder if this will stimulate diesel auto sales and help slow the coming inflation, especially to delivered goods?

Diesel isn't quite cheaper than regular gas here, but it's gotten close. I think the reason for the closing of the price gap was that Ford GM and Dodge were all going to make 1/2 ton diesels. So a big refinery went up, I think in the Dakotas. Then they cancells the 1/2 ton diesels. So there's an oversupply of ULSTD fuel now.

Finally, I may get the fuel price advantage I though I'd get bak in 2004 when I bought the F350.

GasSavers_maximilian 05-16-2009 04:35 PM

Last year I heard a story about how the sudden shift in prices had left diesel production short and that it would catch back up when new refineries came on line.

Hoping for a diesel smart car in the US!

Lug_Nut 05-16-2009 05:37 PM

I just realized that the days have gotten longer and the nights shorter!:rolleyes:

It's summer. Bookmark this thread for next summer, and the one after that.
The ones from last fall, and the fall from the year before griping about diesel rising? Bookmark them too.

GasSavers_maximilian 05-17-2009 06:00 AM

Is the relative price of diesel vs high octane gasoline seasonal as well? I admit I don't track either very closely.

bowtieguy 05-17-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximilian (Post 134641)
Is the relative price of diesel vs high octane gasoline seasonal as well? I admit I don't track either very closely.

i haven't either except to notice that last year when 87 octane was ~$4/gal, diesel was 60 to 70 cents higher than even 93 octane. so, yes this is quite a significant drop.

Ranana_Zess 06-24-2009 01:46 AM

Diesel Prices

I think that is just a 6.2 or a na 6.5. They did build a 4.3diesel but its pretty rare and i think they only put them in cars. It would look more like the 350 diesel.

thecheese429 08-12-2009 12:57 PM

I haven't been watching prices too closely, but here in north Texas, (obviously depending on where you buy it) the diesel is usually 0-15 cents more expensive than gas, (last time I noticed it, it was 2.45/gal, with gas 2.42/gal).

The farther from cities and highways you get, though, the cheaper it is (sometimes 30 cents cheaper than in cities).

GasSavers_maximilian 08-12-2009 01:18 PM

I've noticed in VT diesel prices closely track with regular gasoline. Last summer there were a few news stories about how increased demand for diesel had led to inflated prices and that refinery capacity for producing diesel was increasing and should lower prices. Maybe it happened?

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 08-12-2009 01:57 PM

Diesel has been a couple of cents a litre cheaper than gas here for about 6 months or so. When winter comes there's competition for heating oil. But I think a lot of people finally kicked it for natural gas during the crazy pricing. I think up here there were some govt rebates that applied for those that did.