Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   engine feels like it's cutting on and off in 4th and 5th gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/engine-feels-like-its-cutting-on-and-off-in-4th-and-5th-gear-11273.html)

redEGG 05-14-2009 08:43 AM

engine feels like it's cutting on and off in 4th and 5th gear

95 civic vx...160k miles...
This happens a lot, but not always.
When I drive in 4th and 5th gear, the engine feels like it's cutting off and on. It makes the car jerk a little. It feels as though the engine wants to shut off, but it never does.
I know that the O2 sensor is bad, my mechanic told me. Do you think that these symptoms are related to the o2 sensor?
What should I do to fix this?
thanks
-ed

GasSavers_TomO 05-14-2009 09:05 AM

bad O2 can be a huge contributor to this problem. search on here for where to get the best price on a replacement one.

GasSavers_BEEF 05-14-2009 09:43 AM

there is a user here that has a good deal on these oxygen sensors in his signature. he is also a moderator so I am pretty sure it is legit

theholycow

if you want to look him up

theholycow 05-14-2009 09:44 AM

There's a link in my sig for the VX O2 sensor at a decent price.

Edit: I haven't bought from them nor am I affiliated, but I think a few users on the forum have bought it. I just put it in my sig because it's so common that people need to find it.

redEGG 05-14-2009 12:16 PM

thanks, but do you guys think the o2 is the problem?

Thank you for the replies, but I want to know if you guys think the problem is being caused by the o2 sensor?
let me know
-ed

jmf 05-15-2009 02:33 AM

That sounds like what mine was doing before I replaced the o2 sensor.
A mechanic said it was the EGR but i never listen so I replaced the o2 sensor. I also bought my new one from the link above and it works great.

justin

bobc455 05-15-2009 08:53 AM

Without knowing any more specifics, if you brought the car to me and described those symptoms I would guess that the spark is cutting out, so I'd go for a tuneup (plugs, wires, coils, etc.).

Having said that, it sounds like these other guys have experienced your specific symptoms before, on your specific vehicle, and I have learned to listen to people with that experience. And since you KNOW your O2 sensor is bad, that has to be replaced anyhow so go ahead and see if that fixes things.

-Bob C.

1993CivicVX 05-15-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redEGG (Post 134546)
Thank you for the replies, but I want to know if you guys think the problem is being caused by the o2 sensor?
let me know
-ed

What is the behavior in 2nd and 3rd? Can you get the car to repeat this behavior in 2nd and 3rd? If you cannot, then I might be hesitant to say it's your o2 sensor. But if you can, it most likely is. One way to get it to "cough" or lurch is to accelerate very gently and then press the gas down. Even on my car with a good o2 sensor it will sometimes lurch slightly if I do this which is the o2 coming out of lean burn. Experiment... try to get it to repeat those symptoms in 2nd and 3rd gear. I don't see why it should only do it in 4th and 5th if it is the o2 sensor.

jmf 05-15-2009 03:54 PM

Mine would lose power and slow down for a few seconds, I couldn't hold a steady speed on the interstate. It would do it in lower gears but not as much. As Bob C said if you know the o2 is bad thats a good start.

justin

redEGG 05-22-2009 06:43 AM

Thanks for all your input.
I installed the o2 yesterday, and it's still doing the same thing in 4th and 5th gear. Sometimes in the other gears, but mostly 4th and 5th.
I'm going to replace the spark plugs and wires, hopefully this will fix it.
I dont know what else to do?
please help.