Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   vx spring questions (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/vx-spring-questions-11326.html)

jmf 05-25-2009 03:48 AM

vx spring questions

I would like to replace my rear springs on a 93 vx. I haul alot of tools/wood for work and would like to get a heavy duty spring but I don't want to jack up the rear. Maybe just new ones would be alot better than 15year old anyway. Does anyone know if the 4dr civics had the same springs as the vx?

thanks
justin

jadziasman 05-25-2009 06:27 AM

You should be careful about carrying too much weight with your VX.

I detonated one of the cylinders in my first VX by loading it with too much stuff when moving from Illinois to Michigan It wasn't the same after - mpg dropped to 35 and it did not have the same power as before. I never checked the compression or leak down - I sold it instead of trying to repair or replace the engine.

theholycow 05-25-2009 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadziasman (Post 135164)
I detonated one of the cylinders in my first VX by loading it with too much stuff

:eek:

jmf 05-25-2009 12:51 PM

I thought I would wreck the clutch first.

GasSavers_TomO 05-25-2009 06:20 PM

Using the rear springs from a four door might work without raising your ride height.

As far as overloading a VX...I've hauled 800 lbs. of lumber (along with a passenger), 500 lbs of dirt, and 850 lbs. of landscaping bricks without any troubles. I guess I consider myself lucky.

greasemonkee 05-26-2009 04:58 AM

I don't think it's possible to destroy an engine by carrying too much weight. If one were to put it under an unreasonable load for an extended time, I could see it overheating, but that engine should not experience any detonation unless it is really passing a lot of oil in the combustion chambers. A tank of sub 87 octane rating fuel would be the exception.

OE replacement aftermarket springs would probably be the only way to stiffen the ride without changing the ride height too much. I believe a spring off of a heavier honda would raise it.

Seeing the doors misalign while jacking is enough proof for me that the chassis can't handle too much.

theholycow 05-26-2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasemonkee (Post 135205)
Seeing the doors misalign while jacking is enough proof for me that the chassis can't handle too much.

Once again, let me say: :eek:

Anyway, what about two-stage/helper springs? On a truck that's the answer to not raising height while adding capacity. It would either require some custom hacking for the VX to have a helper spring, or find a two-stage coil spring (perhaps from a sport spring supplier) with a little bit of travel that's soft and the rest being stiffer.

Danronian 05-31-2009 06:32 AM

I've loaded my civic with many other Honda motors before, and besides a slightly dented trunk floor, it handled it just fine. A new clutch might help though. ;)

On my civic, it is lowered, and the higher-than-stock spring rates help it handle decently and not bottom out even with a lot of extra weight in it. I've gone with Ground Control coilovers. You can raise them up to factory height as well. If you went with some stiffer springs threw that route, it would help. If you want to go factory, The integra has the same rear suspension components as the VX but has stiffer springs. It will probably be a bit taller though once installed. You can compensate by cutting off a little probably, though I don't have experience with cutting factory Honda springs.

Another route you could take if you want to use stiffer OEM springs, to compensate for the added height they will give the car, is to install struts with adjustable perches. The Koni Sport struts I have allow you to raise or lower the height of the perch for the OEM style springs.