Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   38 MPG Hummer (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/38-mpg-hummer-11351.html)

shatto 05-30-2009 12:44 PM

38 MPG Hummer

The speaker showed a picture of his 'baby' a Hummer, to make a point about pre-conceptions.
He asked if our first thought was about and ego-maniacal capitalist-pig polluter who didn't care about the environment melting ice-caps and Polar Bears?
He then asked if our attitude would change if we knew that the Hummer ran on Bio-Diesel, had water injection and got the equivalent of 38 MPG?

I have no reason to think that Tom Gentile was funning us; everything he has taught has worked the way it should, but I didn't get a chance to ask him about his truck.

Anybody know of a water injection that actually works?

theclencher 05-30-2009 12:47 PM

When they say "equivalent" of whatever mpg, that is a waving a big red flag.

They need to simply say it takes x gallons to go x miles, without all the stupid little games.

WTH are you talking about anyway? I don't see any link or any story.

shatto 05-30-2009 01:10 PM

There is no link. It was a live Optionetics seminar I attended.

It is poor form to approach the speaker during a business event to query about a non-business subject.

theclencher 05-30-2009 01:32 PM

Googling Tom Gentile biodiesel hummer turns up nothing.

shatto 05-30-2009 01:54 PM

I didn't try. He teaches option trading strategies, not modifying trucks. He paid someone to do it.

GasSavers_BEEF 05-30-2009 02:41 PM

I have heard people talk about bio-diesel equivalent mileage when they make their own as it only costs like 50 cent a gallon or so (it may not be exactly that but much less than a gallon of regular diesel) as long as they use wase vegtable oil to begin with. filter it and chemically alter it to seperate it. I don't know if this is what he was talking about but the actual consumption may not have changed much if this is what he is talking about.

also on the water injection, I have heard that when you increase the boost level on a turbo diesel to really high levels that water injection is used to keep the turbo cool and keeps it from melting. in that aspect, it works very well. I don't own a diesel but I know a guy that has a dodge diesel and uses it. on the dyno he pushed 809hp and 1416ft/lbs. his twin turbo setup gives him 90lbs of boost (not a typo, ninety) he also had to replace his head bolts with studs after blowing the head off of the motor.

water injection works well for power, MPGs? I don't know about that. up until a year and a half ago, I was all about power and torque.

shatto 05-30-2009 03:50 PM

My pappy told me the reason his P-38 had water injection was for emergency power....to outrun bullets.

I'm into the idea strictly for MPG.

slurp812 05-30-2009 04:35 PM

Iv been reading claims of super mileage engines since the 70s. I have yet to see one.

theclencher 05-30-2009 07:22 PM

Oh- this is that Jonathan Goodwin nonsense!

You'll find plenty if you google that.

Diesel conversions are nice- don't know why they feel compelled to lie about the fe.

You are really looking at a $40,000 conversion that nets 20 mpg.

What a pantload.

GasSavers_bobski 05-30-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 135552)
also on the water injection, I have heard that when you increase the boost level on a turbo diesel to really high levels that water injection is used to keep the turbo cool and keeps it from melting. in that aspect, it works very well.

The pistons and other exhaust system components as well. The mist of water boils off during combustion, tying up some heat energy. It's been used successfully in boosted gasoline engines as well, most commonly in supercharged engines where wedging an intercooler between the blower and engine can be difficult.