Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Suggestions of a GM vehicle that I can get 35mpg in? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/suggestions-of-a-gm-vehicle-that-i-can-get-35mpg-in-11405.html)

bri203 06-05-2009 08:22 PM

Suggestions of a GM vehicle that I can get 35mpg in?

Hey guys.
To be honest I am surprised to find myself on this forum. (I'm annoyed by people who shut off their cars at stop lights, or people who overinflate their tires.)

This summer I would like to buy myself a little project. I think it would be fun and I hope to learn some things. I would like to buy a vehicle that is cheap to insure, drive, and work on.

What GM vehicle can I buy for under $3,000 that is SAFE!?
(Must be GM and I have to be able to obtain 33+mpg avg with mods) I plan to stripe most of the interior, lower it and maybe autocross it once or twice for fun. But I would use it most days and throught the winter with snow tires.

I 've been considering a Cavalier, S-series Saturn, fieros, or an S10.

I love Fiero GTs but they come with a v6 and are very thirsty. The 4 cylinder models are ugly plus they are considered a sports car so the insurace should be higher.

The s10 would probably be the cheapest to insure but the hardest to obtain 33 mpg.

What do you guys suggest? (NO subcompacts Metro, aveo, etc)

theholycow 06-06-2009 02:19 AM

I can understand being annoyed by people who shut down at red lights and fail to restart in time, but what annoys you about people who overinflate?

Anyway, that's a tall order. The S-series Saturn is probably the only way to make it happen within your specifications, especially if you don't want to practice any gas-saving driving techniques.

If you're not a stoplight-to-stoplight racer, then stripping the interior and other weight reduction strategies won't increase your fuel economy in a GM vehicle unless you also adjust gearing and maybe tune the engine for fuel economy too.

I can elaborate more on the weight issue if you want, but I wouldn't recommend getting your hopes up.

Jay2TheRescue 06-06-2009 02:51 AM

Stay away from the Fiero... The maintenance costs are too high. A friend of mine once had one, and it was always being worked on. Eventually the car lived up to its name. (Fiero is Italian for fire)...

I would recommend the Saturn, with a 5 speed.

-Jay

bri203 06-06-2009 04:38 AM

[QUOTE=theholycow;136117]I can understand being annoyed by people who shut down at red lights and fail to restart in time, but what annoys you about people who overinflate?
QUOTE]

My main conern is safety. Standard valve stems are not designed for for high air pressure. If your going exceed the manufactors suggested PSI I would installed high pressure valve stems like they use in trucks. The other issue is tire manufactors have a max PSI, exceeding the max seems unsafe for the driver and others on the road.

theholycow 06-06-2009 04:58 AM

Oh, I agree about not exceeding the maximum stamped on the tire sidewall. I was under the impression that standard valve stems were good for at least 51psi, a common maximum for P-series tires.

psyshack 06-06-2009 06:58 AM

Don't worry about tire psi. Just run max sidewall or a bias from it and enjoy.

As for the other complaint. I'm sure you face more delay from folks yacking on there cell phones or folks screwing with there entertainment than some sot refiring after setting at a light.

With only wanting GM,,,, don't understand that. The Sat. is the car.

bri203 06-06-2009 08:39 AM

Thanks for the input so far.
Personally I would disagree with some hypermilling methods but I don't want this thread to go in the wrong direction about import vs american or safe vs not safe.

VetteOwner 06-06-2009 11:13 AM

yea i second the saturn possibly the cavileer if u can find either an manual tranny.

the s10 well it IS possible to get low 30's... not for an averige unless all you do is interstate drive.

GasSavers_GasUser 06-06-2009 12:38 PM

Out of your choices, I would pick either the Cavalier or the Saturn.

You list a Cobalt in your sig. What is wrong with that? You should get 35+ easy in it I would think.

GasSavers_BEEF 06-06-2009 01:18 PM

cavaliers are pretty good.

before I did anything major, I was getting low 30s. in the summer, I top out just under 40 mpg.

also, mine is an automatic trans. 1997 to be exact