Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oil rebate. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy-oil-rebate-11417.html)

theholycow 07-16-2010 10:45 AM

I doubt that. If that was true, there would be a lot of Mobil1 users with their engines wearing out prematurely, which would result in a bad reputation and a class-action lawsuit. I haven't heard of either result happening. In fact, Mobil1 seems to enjoy the distinction of being generally agreed as the best mainstream oil around.

I don't bother with Mobil1 because my engines never suffer any kind of failure that could have been prevented by using more expensive oil.

Have you been wearing out oil-protected engine parts?

Jay2TheRescue 07-16-2010 11:11 AM

My Buick used to eat oil pumps for breakfast before I switched to Mobil 1.

add|ct 07-16-2010 12:48 PM

Well, it must be saying something when the Super Tech brand of oil at Wal-Mart is just re-cylced/used Mobil1, right?

EDIT: Apparently, no confirmation on this.

@ HC, No failures. Just a new Mobil1 user is all. =)

@J2TR, Good, now its eating less fiber. Engines don't need that much fiber in their diets.

I'm still thinking of using Amsoil, eventually, in the VX. Is their 0w-30 here just their version of Mobil1's AFE or is it remarkably different?

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

theholycow 07-16-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by add|ct (Post 153148)
the Super Tech brand of oil at Wal-Mart is just re-cylced/used Mobil1, right?

Do you have a link to a source for that information?

pgfpro 07-16-2010 01:56 PM

Man you guys make me feel cheap.LOL

I just use 5w-30 or 10w-30 Valvoline or NAPA's brand what ever is on sale.

But I do change my oil every 2000 miles.

add|ct 07-16-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 153150)
Do you have a link to a source for that information?

Well, to be honest I thought that was the case, but apparently there is some debate after trying to research that as it appears Exxon/Mobil, perhaps QS, and/or Valvoline all have some part to play in "Super Tech" motor oils. To what extent? I don't really know. I didn't mean to get off topic, but had heard that from another poster on here and didn't think to challenge that comment since I never use the stuff.:o

ADDED:

https://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_manufa..._synthetic_oil

Among other forum discussions like these.

add|ct 07-16-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgfpro (Post 153152)

Define 'cheap'. Its all relative. :D

pgfpro 07-16-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by add|ct (Post 153156)
Define 'cheap'. Its all relative. :D

Around $3.00 a QT.;)

add|ct 07-16-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgfpro (Post 153158)
Around $3.00 a QT.;)

If you ever got into high-performance racing leagues, I'd recommend royal purple or red line...recycled for less to fit your 'cheap' budget of course.;) :p j/k

...but seriously, I figure I just paid $4.20 per/Q when buying the Wal-Mart deal for 0w-30 Mobil1 AFE @ $21 even, 5Q jug. I purchased two, the Stratus takes 5Q even and the Honda 3.5Q w/ Filter. That seems to be the cheapest it falls to lately and didn't want to wait to pay an extra $1.50 or so later when I needed to drain the VX.

I use that, plus a Napa gold oil filter, and I know I'm set every 4k miles or so with this set up without a 2nd thought. I'm just not brave enough to do extended drain intervals, yet. At least not with the Stratus, since it sits most of the time now and isn't driven often enough.

So, doing it myself in 30-45 min and I spend about $28 on each oil change. I could extend the VX eventually.

theholycow 07-17-2010 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgfpro (Post 153152)

If you want to not feel cheap, here's how my 2002 GMC has been treated for the past 195,000 miles:

1. Until about 170,000 I'd go to one of 3 different mechanics or a quick lube place and let them put in whatever dinosaur juice they use. I did that when "Change engine oil" displayed on the dash - generally 5,000 to 7,000 miles. Sometimes I procrastinated for as much as another 3,000 miles.

2. Since then I've been doing it myself using SuperTech High Mileage 5w30 dinosaur juice and SuperTech filters. I do it twice a year. I drive the truck all winter and mostly park it in the summer. "Change engine oil" usually comes on after the winter but obviously not after the summer. This year I did not change it after winter and the message hasn't come on yet. I'll be changing it soon.

Result: Starts and runs as strong and efficient at 195,000 miles as it ever has. On cold mornings in the winter it has some piston slap, which is functionally insignificant but does sound kinda yucky (like a diesel), until it warms up slightly (10 to 30 seconds). On my most recent oil change I switched to Valvoline High Mileage and the piston slap got worse so I'll be switching back to SuperTech.