Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Nascar Hypermiler.... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/nascar-hypermiler-11421.html)

slurp812 06-08-2009 02:40 PM

Nascar Hypermiler....

I am a Tony Stewart fan. Yesterday, he won, on fuel mileage. the last 10 laps, he stopped using brakes. He would gas it smoothly coming out of the corner, and then mash to the floor, and about 1/2 -2/3 way down the straight he would let off, and coast around the corners, taking them at about normal full race speed. He won because so many behind him had pitted, and weren't even close. Of the few that were one did run out of fuel. When asked of his fuel saving techniques, he said "I'm not telling!" Now we all know he was sorta pulsing and gliding, and Driving without brakes. He was using Hypermiling techniques. I just smiled....

:D

Jay2TheRescue 06-08-2009 06:55 PM

I like that...

GasSavers_GasUser 06-08-2009 09:21 PM

That is actually not a new techneque. Pulse and glide I mean. I did laps at the Richard Petty Driving School Track in Orlando a few years ago and that is what they taught us in the driving class. Also, we were told emphatically not to use the brakes and we were to use engine braking even coming in to the pits after the run. And we were not allowed to downshift it . Those cars are running high rpm's and geared so that when I backed off the gas It felt like I stepped on the brake. And I was not of course going anywhere near actual racing speeds. Coming into pit row I didn't use the brakes as the engine slowed it to about 30mph before I needed to use them. Funny thing is, those cars do not have a speedomoter but just a tach in the center of the dash so I had no clue how fast I was going until after the run. Course, the pro's drive those and can tell by the rpm what their speed is. I however never drove the car before. But I can tell you that I never drove anything so aerodynamic and powerful that stuck on the track like it was glued there around the corners.

theholycow 06-09-2009 06:41 AM

I wish I could go to the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasUser (Post 136308)
we were told emphatically not to use the brakes and we were to use engine braking

I thought that they were equipped with carburetors, but if they were talking about strategically saving fuel, perhaps they've got DFCO?

slurp812 06-09-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 136330)

I thought that they were equipped with carburetors, but if they were talking about strategically saving fuel, perhaps they've got DFCO?

I am sure Nascar has a rule about it either way. :D

GasSavers_GasUser 06-09-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 136330)

Well, It must have been fuel injected but that is just my guess. I never saw the engine but fuel injection was developed for racing first I think before it became the replacement for carburetors. So being fuel injected, it is a good chance it had DFCO but I don't know for sure. But either way it had to use less fuel coasting than running at WOT.

And holycow, if you get a chance you should try it. It is a real awesome experience.

theholycow 06-09-2009 04:47 PM

Well, I had to look it up...Cup cars do run carburetors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Cup_Series

SpeedKnight 06-09-2009 07:10 PM

NASCAR runs carbs. Open wheel racers are injected.

Personally, I want to go to the Bondourant School of Racing. I could be wrong, but if you learn how to road race well, then oval racing should be fairly easy.

slurp812 06-09-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasUser (Post 136383)
Well, It must have been fuel injected but that is just my guess. I never saw the engine but fuel injection was developed for racing first I think before it became the replacement for carburetors. So being fuel injected, it is a good chance it had DFCO but I don't know for sure. But either way it had to use less fuel coasting than running at WOT.

And holycow, if you get a chance you should try it. It is a real awesome experience.

Yes, idle on a carb is way less than WOT...