Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   For Sale (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   What's a fair price for a stock '92 VX? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f24/whats-a-fair-price-for-a-stock-92-vx-11608.html)

rocklinman1369 07-13-2009 08:40 PM

What's a fair price for a stock '92 VX?

Hi all....

I just found this site and was looking for some expert opinion if possible. I apologize in advance for the long thread!
I bought a stock 1992 VX last winter from a co-worker, who between her and her dad, had owned it since new. The car has 219,000 miles, no mods, and has one dent in the lower drivers door where a riding mower was backed into it, but other than that, the white body is nice with no rust or anything else other than a few dings and rock chips. The never-smoked in interior is good with some minor wear in the carpet and the front seats have factory replacement seat covers in the proper color installed. The wheels are stock VX and I put 4 new tires on this spring. She had a new clutch and timing belt installed several years ago, but couldn't provide dates. I have commuted 175 miles a day with it on the interstate and gotten high 30's/low 40's due to trying to stay alive with the 18-wheelers and showing them what a VX can do!

Some of the things I needed to work on:

Dash light intermittent/ if I press on the dimmer switch they will usually pop on

Drivers window locked in up position. I tried lowering it but don't want to force it.

Glove box comes loose and falls off. She had it taped in place....

I had a local mechanic convert the A/C to R-134A. Since June when it gets triple-digit hot here, the car has been running hot. When I shut the A/C off the needle falls back to mid-range.

Windshield wiper works on high only. Her hubby snapped the stalk and taped it in place.

My reason for asking poss. value is my wife received a short-notice transfer and we have 3 cars and a new bike. She says something has to go and she actually likes the bike, so you guess the rest of the story! The area in Arkansas where we live is 4x4 central so people just stare at the funny little car and point. The only Honda guy speaks very little English so it's been difficult trying to schedule and explain things to him. And with the commute, I have had very little time to do much more than oil changes and wash/wax.
I have seen some crazy prices for VX's on Ebay and am not sure if scammers are running up prices, or if the prices are legit. I don't want to make a fortune, but just want to charge a fair price. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

civic94 07-13-2009 08:48 PM

well its best if sell it when gas is very high, other than that, a vx right now with over 200k miles can be in the ballpark of 2,000 bucks, after haggling the price.

i still kick myself when I didnt buy a 93 vx for 2500 bucks back in 2004, the car had 150k. gas prices was about 2 a gal back then

rocklinman1369 07-14-2009 07:00 AM

Civic94, thanks for the info. That definitely would be my plan if the wife wasn't suggesting the sale...LOL Even at $2.50 a gallon, I noticed a lot more money left over when filling the VX up; when I did a two-lane roadtrip last month I averaged about 53 MPG which is even better than my motorcycle. Best of luck on your search!