Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Accurate way to measure idling fuel consumption (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/accurate-way-to-measure-idling-fuel-consumption-11794.html)

FrugalFloyd 10-21-2010 03:45 PM

Re: Accurate way to measure idling fuel consumption

That sounds abnormally high to me. My 2.5L SE-R consumed .22 gph at idle, and my 1.5L xB sips about .14 gph.

Larry1LT 10-21-2010 03:47 PM

I don't know much about these new engines, is there any way to make it idle lower? Idle seems high, around 900 RPM.

theholycow 10-21-2010 04:24 PM

Custom tuning is the proper way to lower the idle. It would involve using a special computer cable and special software to edit the car's computer programming.

If available for your car it is probably going to cost a couple hundred dollars and beware that you'll be asking someone who usually deals in tuning to increase racing performance to do the opposite of what he usually does.

It may be possible to do an awful hack on the Idle Air Controller or electronic throttle, but the computer will probably find a way to compensate and will almost certainly throw a code/set the Check Engine Light.

Larry1LT 10-21-2010 08:48 PM

I might be able to talk the dealership into looking at it, since it's brand new with no modifications. I think the idle is too high, shouldn't it be closer to 750?

theholycow 10-22-2010 04:57 AM

You'll need to check with other 2010 Forte Koup 2.0 automatic owners to find out what their idle RPM is. If you ask the dealer they'll just tell you it's normal. Even if you go in telling them that similar cars idle lower they'll probably still tell you it's normal...but being confident will help.

Larry1LT 10-22-2010 09:17 AM

I wish I had a throttle cable like the old days, things were so simple back then.

theholycow 10-22-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryude (Post 155455)
things were so simple back then.

I'd agree if I wasn't struggling with a carburetor that makes no sense.

Larry1LT 10-22-2010 10:12 AM

I enjoyed working on my 1991 Toyota MR2. No Carb, but equally retarded AFM (air flow meter).

Larry1LT 10-22-2010 07:12 PM

OMG!! I figured it out guys, I put my car in N when idling and the GPH went to 0.18! That's a huge difference from 0.30-0.34 GPH when in D!

I even tried putting it in N during coasting and my iMPG went from 120 to 180-200 MPG! This is so awesome lol.

theholycow 10-23-2010 03:02 AM

Good work!

When putting it back in D, rev-match to reduce the extra wear on your transmission. Know from experience how fast your engine will go once you put it in D, and rev the engine to that speed just before shifting.