Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Idea for wheel discs - Anyone try this? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/idea-for-wheel-discs-anyone-try-this-11942.html)

Brontegirl 09-23-2009 09:44 AM

Idea for wheel discs - Anyone try this?

I was wondering if anyone has been successful using plexiglass or other clear product to make see-through wheel discs? I like the look of my wheels and would not like and all metal look.

Plexiglass can be bent if is heated. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if they have tips on this. Thank you!

Jay2TheRescue 09-23-2009 10:00 AM

My initial thought is that brake dust will quickly build up on the inside surface, but if you could find a way around that problem it sounds like a cool idea.

theholycow 09-23-2009 10:54 AM

I like the idea.

For brake dust, you could coat the inside with a temporary film and just replace the film when the dust gets thick. There's a few spray-on coatings, including Plasti-Dip clear spray, Rain-X Bug & Tar shield, etc.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-23-2009 11:36 AM

they make a brake dust cover that goes between your hub and wheel and is made of plastic, it bolts on with the wheel.

I have heard that if you take plexi-glass and put it on a form and put it in an oven, it will form to the shape of the form/mold. I have never done it and I think I would be hard pressed to try it because of chemicals that may be released and the potential for fire.

I have bent plexi-glass with a heat gun before but I have never molded it.

also, remember that you only get a few tenths better mpg with racing disks. at least that is the numbers that come to mind that I saw once.

Brontegirl 09-23-2009 08:50 PM

Beef - I didn't know that it would only improve mileage by a few tenths but I really appreciate all the feedback.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-24-2009 03:18 AM

I put some hub caps on my car (not moon caps but close) and the gain/loss was pretty much immeasurable. they do look pretty good so I left them on.

the people that see gains are already way up there in the mileage anyway. for us regular folk, there are larger gains elsewhere.

*edit*

if I were you (and i did this myself) I would buy a scangauge. it was my first mod and made a world of difference. it is a device that plugs into your 0BD-2 port and tells you in real time what your mpg are and gives you feedback of what the car is doing. I have used it for many different experiments as an information tool. this will help you change your driving habbits. www.scangauge.com it is a touch on the expensive side $170ish but mine has paid for itself several times over.

Brontegirl 09-25-2009 10:26 AM

Thanks Beef, I actually ordered one a few days ago. I got mine for $156. (Amazon third-party seller in case anyone is looking for a deal.)

GasSavers_BEEF 09-25-2009 12:04 PM

once you get that, you can experiment with a grill block and warm air intake along with changing your driving style.

I am not one for doing those things without knowing exactly what my car is doing.

JanGeo 09-26-2009 09:06 AM

Plexiglass is a little brittle in cold weather but heating it over a form even made of wood in a convection oven works great just set it to about 300 degrees and the plexi will turn to rubber. Doesn't give off much fumes either just don't be baking something to eat at the same time. I think I get a couple mpg increase with the racing disks that I added to my xB but the 9 spoke Mag factory wheel covers were probably adding a lot of drag. Only problem I could see is on really hot days the plexi may get soft if you have to brake a lot or sit in hot stop and go traffic from teh engine heat up front.

GasSavers_Pete 09-26-2009 07:30 PM

Another way to form Plexiglass is using hot water.
Find a suitable sized pan or heatproof container and put the mold in the water.
Heat water to just below boiling (let it boil and tun off the heat) and then insert the Plexiglass at an angle to avoid trapping air.
Let heat do the work and remove the plexiglass when cooled enough to retain the form you want.

Pete.