Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   The Caprice is coming back!!! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/the-caprice-is-coming-back-12002.html)

Jay2TheRescue 10-09-2009 10:52 AM

The Caprice is coming back!!!

Doesn't look as big as it used to be, but everything else sounds good!

[yt]7lzT2IM0hAM[/yt]

theholycow 10-09-2009 11:01 AM

Looks just like an Impala. RWD and V8 sounds like a good thing to me.

What was up with that awful video? A bunch of drive-by shots and a few moments of talking where the audio was all messed up, and almost no information.

Will there be a consumer Caprice?

What are my chances of getting it with a 6 speed manual?

Jay2TheRescue 10-09-2009 11:10 AM

Yeah, its poorly edited, but I like the idea of a new Caprice. If its just for fleet use (Like the Ford Crown Victoria is now) then there may not be a manual option.

IndyFetch 10-09-2009 12:27 PM

According to CarandDriver.com, there is no civilian version planned. The article was on their website yesterday.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...e_ppv-car_news

Jay2TheRescue 10-09-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetch (Post 142827)
According to CarandDriver.com, there is no civilian version planned. The article was on their website yesterday.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...e_ppv-car_news

No, but you'll be able to buy them at state auction within a year or 2 of their release.

GasSavers_JoeBob 10-09-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 142832)
No, but you'll be able to buy them at state auction within a year or 2 of their release.

Out here, sometimes our departments keep cars for quite a while. Around the turn of the century, our local Sheriff's department kept a late '80s Caprice on hand to go along with the Crown Vics. My speculation was that it was issued to whoever forgot to bring doughnuts that day, or whoever did something else equally bad.

"You were bad. You have to drive the OLD car!"

Jay2TheRescue 10-09-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBob (Post 142834)
Out here, sometimes our departments keep cars for quite a while. Around the turn of the century, our local Sheriff's department kept a late '80s Caprice on hand to go along with the Crown Vics. My speculation was that it was issued to whoever forgot to bring doughnuts that day, or whoever did something else equally bad.

"You were bad. You have to drive the OLD car!"

Actually, having driven Crown Vics, Caprices, and Plymouth Furies (and an 85 K5 Blazer) with the police packages, the Caprices always handled the best. Yes, my county also held onto some cars for quite some time. There was one old deputy that all he did was serve court papers. He still had one of the boxy Caprices from the late 80's. I know several deputies that still had the Caprices, that turned down new cars, until the department forced new cars on them.

VetteOwner 10-09-2009 09:38 PM

ewwww id rather have the ol box caprice or the round early 90's thing back...looks exactly like a damn impalla....

theholycow 10-10-2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 142841)
Why's that?

Because it would be fun. I lust after plenty of cars that would cost a lot of gas.

If it had a manual transmission, I bet I would get at least 30mpg from it anyway.

VetteOwner 10-10-2009 07:47 AM

cuz FWD or "wrong wheel drive" is no fun :D

the crown vics/lincon counterpart get low 30's on the interstate.

Jay2TheRescue 10-10-2009 08:29 AM

Police package cars are very fun to drive. I've driven many cars over the years, but you know what was the most fun? A 1986 Chevrolet Caprice with the police package. It was so much fun that I didn't care that it didn't have power windows or power locks, or that it had an AM Mono radio. As another squadmember put it so well... "You can pull out in front of someone, cut them off, and be gone before they got there."

The newer V-8 sedans with fuel injection and overdrive transmissions can easily get 25 MPG highway, and if driven respectably can get over 30 highway. We're not talking abouut the 70's when these types of cars got 15 MPG highway. I can easily hit the high 20's in my late grandfather's Grand Marquis, and I eagerly await the day that car is mine.

VetteOwner 10-10-2009 01:01 PM

what else are you gonna do with a police package tho :) gotta let the high output v8 and sport suspension do its thing :D

i loved our 77 caprece and my friends i belive 89 capreece (looked the same except his had composite headlights and power stuff and ours was sealed beams and no power)

GasSavers_Pete 10-10-2009 06:23 PM

The Caprice is available here (Australia) where it is made but is aimed strictly at the luxury market and called a Statesman.
There is a Caprice model as well which is slightly lower spec and is aimed at the more sports market.
For the details of all the versions and variants have a look at:
www.holden.com.au
which is the website of the GM local division.

They also export to Saudi Arabia , South Africa and New Zealand among other places.

Pete.

VetteOwner 10-10-2009 10:05 PM

i hate u guys lol. you get the holden UTE which is like a modern elcamino... pontiac was going to "import" it to the US till pontiac died....

theholycow 10-11-2009 03:37 AM

Holden FTW again. Holden's got all the best cars.