Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   politics and gassavers (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/politics-and-gassavers-12040.html)

GasSavers_BEEF 10-19-2009 06:46 PM

politics and gassavers

it seems that here lately there have been more and more threads about political crap. that seems to be what it is too is crap. mostly just to start controversy.

I truly hate politics because it is always the same story. my side is right and yours is wrong (regardless of which side is talking).

during the election and about 6 months before it, the forum lit up with political crap and I was hoping that all of it would die down once it was all said and done. I was wrong, horribly horribly wrong.

I come here to talk of ways to better the economy of my vehicle. I try to share things that I have experienced and add to the wealth of knowledge that has made our vehicles much better than stock and in some cases, ones of envy among the SUV crowd during the days of $4+/gallon gas.

I just wonder why all of the political threads aren't posted on political forums so we can keep the fuel economy threads in the fuel economy fourms. there must be more than enough political forums for the biggest conservative or liberal or whatever you are out there. I know that we have a general discussion area but it seems that more times than not, it has little to do with adding to the conversation and more to do with purposefully upsetting others that don't hold your particular beliefs.

one final statement and I'm done: I HATE POLITICS!!!!!!!

anyone want to talk about saving gas?

Jay2TheRescue 10-19-2009 07:22 PM

All we can say is stay tuned... The moderators and GasSavers.org staff have been working on a revised user agreement for quite some time to address this, and other issues.

GasSavers_JoeBob 10-19-2009 10:13 PM

On Gassavers, the political discussions are (supposed to be, anyway) confined to one particular forum. Anybody can visit this forum, or not, as they please. Anyone can read a particular thread or not, as they please. I, for one, happen to enjoy reading SOME of the political discussion. If there is a discussion I don't care to read, I don't read it.

It's kinda like a radio...If you don't want to listen to Limbaugh, Boortz, O'Riley or any of, uh, THAT crowd, there are two knobs (if you have an old radio) or a few buttons (on a newer radio) that you can use to change the station, or turn it OFF! These days, I find myself using those knobs or buttons a LOT! I don't want to see those guys stifled (despite what I may think or say about them) so I exercise my right to not listen to them (or to the commercials of their sponsors).

It works the same way here. There is plenty of other content other than the political stuff...one should feel free to contribute to the discussions one wishes, and if there is something one does not feel that they are interested in, one is free to bypass that part of the site.

As someone says on another website I occasionally visit, "My time is done, and I thank you for yours".

theholycow 10-20-2009 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 143171)
during the election and about 6 months before it, the forum lit up with political crap and I was hoping that all of it would die down once it was all said and done. I was wrong, horribly horribly wrong.

Me too. It really hasn't died down anywhere near as much as I expected.

As Jay says, we've been discussing the issue and we're cooking up some changes.

R.I.D.E. 10-20-2009 04:24 AM

I like my Beef medium rare and my politics medium raw.

I am not someones programmed mannequin and never will be.

Don't change a thing.

I think JoeBob stated it perfectly, regardless of whether we may or may not agree on any political viewpoint. In fact if we agreed on everything, it would get pretty boring.

trollbait 10-20-2009 01:17 PM

I thought the off-topic section was for just that.
It doesn't even show up for visitors any more.

Jay2TheRescue 10-20-2009 01:52 PM

You have to be logged in to view the off-topic forums. This has been in effect for a while now. We are trying to boost our search rankings by forcing the search engines to only crawl the main forums, so the off-topic posts don't dilute our relevance.

bowtieguy 10-20-2009 03:47 PM

i respect you Beef, Jay, and HC, but in this case i'm w/ JoeBob and Gary...

keep it unchanged. i'd rather discuss these types of issues w/ mostly informed individuals here, rather than viper spitting forums elsewhere. besides, this site is my only contact in regard to the web, other than locals on facebook.

i sent someone here a political PM/email yesterday, and he was well pleased w/ my sharing. i've learned a lot about the views of those different than mine here. the majority of those i have face to face contact w/ do not even know why they believe or vote a certain way.

this could be a place to help others save gas, money, and even vote or hold their local politicians accountable in terms of energy efficiency.

i believe politics to be on a bigger scale than saving gas, but i do understand it's not the endeavor of this site. political discussions aren't pretty, but putting off or avoiding them is ugly.

Mayhim 10-21-2009 05:25 AM

It doesn't bother me much. If I step into a thread that contains views I don't share, I simply leave. It isn't important.

The important stuff is taken care of at the ballot box.

R.I.D.E. 10-21-2009 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible (Post 143225)
It doesn't bother me much. If I step into a thread that contains views I don't share, I simply leave. It isn't important.

The important stuff is taken care of at the ballot box.

Precisely, and by those who care enough to vote.

regards
gary