Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Problems with my Volt fuel-up (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/problems-with-my-volt-fuel-up-1218.html)

keleko 07-29-2013 01:49 AM

Problems with my Volt fuel-up

I have a 2013 Chevy Volt. My last fuel-up I had gone 1919.7 miles on 7.72 gallons of gas for a calculated mileage of 248.67mpg. The site showed a warning that this was unrealistic, and it made me actually LOL - out loud! ;)

However, I've noticed since I entered those numbers, fuelly won't compute a gas mileage for that fuel-up. I assure you it is completely true given the amount of electric driving I did. Please correct the site so it will properly calculate in the case of extremely high mileage.

waterboysh 07-29-2013 02:40 AM

From the FAQ at https://www.fuelly.com/faq/40/What-ve...work-at-Fuelly

Fuelly is built to track vehicles from motorcycles and scooters up to a standard SUV. All of our assumptions are based on the idea that the vehicle will use liquid fuel in a single tank. Anything outside of that range won't work at the site.

That means Fuelly can't track electric vehicles like the Plug-in Prius or Chevy Volt. (If you have a Volt, try voltstats.net instead.) Fuelly also can't track commercial trucks, Bi-fuel vehicles, RVs, motorhomes, or lawn equipment.

MMUK 07-29-2013 06:49 PM

Yeah, exactly. Just to reinforce this point:

>"fuelly won't compute a gas mileage for that fuel-up. I assure

>you it is completely true given the amount of electric

>driving I did."

I think the highlighted nicely sections illustrate the problem that fuelly has. It can't calculate your gas mileage without either knowing how many miles were driven on gas rather than electric, and it can't calculate your electric mileage without knowing how much electricity was used.

MMUK 07-29-2013 06:53 PM

Apologies for the gibberish in the last paragraph. For 'highlighted nicely sections illustrate...', please read 'highlighted sections illustrate nicely...'. The 'either' is also spurious.

andyrobo 07-30-2013 03:52 AM

We will be working to remove the 200 MPG limit in the near future. It was put in place long ago as a way of preventing bad data from screwing up the crowd sourced MPG estimates. We'll find a better solution to that issue so our electric vehicle owners can continue to use Fuelly. Also, we plan to find a way to allow for adding charge-ups so you can track the kHw consumed as well. More details will be posted as soon as possible.

HiFlite999 07-30-2013 06:20 AM

Even only simply removing the 200 mpg limit would be useful. Since charging is a daily event with plugins, keeping track of that will be trickier.

BTW, there are already a fair number of Volts on this site, but they are not listed in the "Browse Vehicles" page. Could that be added, please? Crowdsoucing is a good way to show how silly the Volt's EPA sticker rating of 37 mpg is for most owners. :)

baggy798 07-30-2013 08:39 PM

So how many miles did the 7.72 gallons contribute to physically propelling you? Surely the Volt with it's techno-wizardry calculates this on board?

Charon 08-01-2013 05:02 AM

Seems to me calculating "gas" mileage when something other than gas was powering the vehicle is misleading at best. Sort of like filling the vehicle four or five times but only entering one fillup. Unless all the energy use can be accounted for, the data is completely meaningless.

MMUK 08-01-2013 06:19 AM

Well, positive news from Andy (above), it sounds like both the types of fuel (KWh and the liquid fuel) will be entered. Of course, as you say, both have to be entered for the final number to be meaningful.

BDC 08-01-2013 07:31 AM

Which, judging from the number of plug-in hybrid owners posting here who don't consider electricity to count as fuel, should mean that we get roughly zero accurate accounts.