Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   New Stock Performance Setup for 45mpg hopefully!! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/new-stock-performance-setup-for-45mpg-hopefully-12197.html)

spotaneagle 12-13-2009 01:32 PM

New Stock Performance Setup for 45mpg hopefully!!

Ok, well I had to replace the clutch because it was a performance clutch(=Stiffer, extra spring inside the four springs of an oem clutch) which made the pressure plate screw up after 20k miles so I got rid of both, flushed tranny fluid and did the linkage cleaning and greasing with Silicon Lube, topped it off exactly with 2.6something of Mobil 1 ATF, oh yea also cleaned out throttle body that was sticking, and the car started to shift right again..(threw in new PCV while I was at it(they say every oil Change)) I took off my WAI for Traffic in Boston for two months, so I could merge.. lol, now its back on.. and what I'm going for in this car is the 40 to hopefully 42mpg area instead of 35 EPA with the same exact performance(speedwise, you know 16.4 quarter mile still).. with increase mpg from my (Duct tape) Warm Air Intake, less Horsepower (maybe 12 less in my 124 dohcer)..
So what I did to counteract this was lightened the car by 100lbs(ripped out the carpets except part of the top layer in the front seats(to keep your skibbies warmer on cold day and so the clutch pedal still feels the same as before, removed trunkliner, innards of rear left passenger door, that has a bad window motor(7lbs) took out the AC compressor and hoses(left in condenser as a heat/flying objects from road block for radiator), disabled daytime running headlights, used the shorter serpentine belt(saves something I'm pretty sure), I took out the back seat for more stuff room.. ripped out various non necessary interior pieces from behind certain places(some had to razor blade out) and took out the back speakers and wiriing, i found three or four metal brackets in the engine and uner the car that could be removes(tow, engine lift bracket, and old a/c harness, took all the screws too, vacuumed the shiz out of my trunk and everything else, scraped out some goo, took off sticky pieces behind interior trim pieces..., removed so many little things I shaved 100 lbs off the car, and now it shifts better and runs smoother, because of the Warm Air Intake, esp now that its cold out..

I have 32psi in the front tires for handling around corners,and 36 in the back with quarter inch rear wheel spacers..

I believe its capable of the Warm Air Intake to replicate Highway MPG in the city due to the fact that there is no air being blown against it and cooling it down more, but also that it acts as a fuel vaporizer in one sense and also as an exhaust cooler in another sense.. though i do believe to have seen a slight increase in the speed in which the car gets to hot, only slight though and if you have a proper working car(pertaining to cooling system) it should just in its mind act as if it were a scorching summer day and up its anti with electric cooling fans, in the case of saturn's those bust(some stupid computer thing/scam(buy a new car from them)), and manual ones must be build on higher mileage models often.. But still all being said a hacked cooling fan and a working cooling fan are the SAME thing.

Plus the one more performance enhancement I am using to all this car to work at stock speed with a Warm Air Intake is Aerodynamics, Here's what I've done

Cut out the back bumper with a jigsaw to the point where any air from underneath the car can easily escape(flesh with the underbody, except around the gas tank where it comes to the bottom of the bumper piece in the center of the bumper bottom that im cutting, (I suppose I could put an air director on the front of the gas tank if there isn't one already...) keep in mind I'm only cutting the diagonal bumper underpiece part(all once piece of plastic here) not the flat bumper part meant for doing what a bumper does, bumping things(hopefully not) I have also drilled 20 holes on each side (5/8in) in the mud guards on the front part of the wheels so any air up inside in front of them can easily pass through but to keep the form of the mudguard to it doesn't flap around(this will also cool your breaks and make them last longer(look at the front inside at the mudguards of any sports car and you will see something like this, but more like a vent)
right now seems like I should be in the clear for being on point with my experiment, this car is probably faster than a stock car and gets 45 mpg, cause think if I'm revving the heck out of it alot more cold air is probably entering the engine, but if I keep her at low rpms it gently sucks in warm engine air.. ahhh..

The goal in this is to show that you can still have the same performance(americans loveydove their POWER) and way better MPG by about 10+ with a few simple ideas applied to the vehicle..

Project84 12-15-2009 07:10 AM

Your goal is ridiculous. Not the MPG part, but the "few simple ideas applied to the vehicle" part.

You gutted it.

In my eyes, increasing MPG in a vehicle and trying to use it as a demonstration of what's possible entails that the car still be in stock form mostly, or at least, appear stock (ex. still has carpet, doors that work, door panels, windows). So that you can then say, "This is my car... doesn't look like anything special, and it's not. I've done a few things to it and it now gets 15mpg better than the EPA rating. It still retains every function of any other car on the road." That's just me.

There are those like Basjoos, which I highly admire, but that's on a whole other level. One that you do not seem to be aiming at.

To each his own, I suppose.

There are tons of Saturns here and at other MPG forums in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Some SOHC, some DOHC. Gutting it and hoping for 45 is kind of silly. You could've achieved that with some research and implementation.

I find it odd that you'd go to such lengths as gutting it, but still use such modest tire psi which is practically the easiest and most effective/free mod anyone can do.

I know, I know... I'm being negative. Sorry.

Project84 12-15-2009 07:18 AM

On a side note I just read this in your profile:

"getting 42mpg at 65-68mph average

i am not hypermiling for these results, just steady and gradual"

I got 43.6mpg for a tank (47mpg of all highway before getting off the exit) from a HAI, some drafting, and 50psi in the tires with a passanger and luggage... and mine's an auto w/ 205 tires (stock is 185), not LRR. I never shut the car off, and never did any neutral coasting. Average speed was 59mph I think.

I offer this advice:

Read more. Stop modding the car and just read for a few days. Do this and then gather your ideas and go mod the car. You'll be in the 50's, or at least, you should be.

GasSavers_BEEF 12-15-2009 09:52 AM

I noticed that his mileage isn't overly high (against the EPA numbers) and also that he has less than 11 gallons used in his gas log.

it is hard to convince people when you don't keep a current gas log. I need to put in a few tanks in mine as well but I have logged maybe 20,000 miles in my gas log and all since I have been a member. (not sure the gallons used but much more than 10.75)

(mine is an auto trans too)