Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   December Dream (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/december-dream-12219.html)

shatto 12-20-2009 12:38 PM

December Dream

On a crisp winter morning I get into my bone-chillingly cold Tundra and fire up the V8, get things organized by re-setting the odometer to zero, clear the NUVI for a new round of navigation and put my starting mileage on my manifest and now I am ready to begin another day picking-up and delivering everything from envelopes to products to those fortunate to be able to do at home dialysis to hundreds of pounds of whatever to wherever. I am a courier and drive from 150 to 250 miles every day but, on hectic days I've gone 500 miles before returning to the barn.

The heater is making warm and within a mile will get serious, ultimately blowing 155 degree hot air from the vents.

I'm on the freeway and hit the switch changing over from gasoline to Natural Gas, which I'll drive on until the tanks are empty, about 200 miles down the road, then go back to gasoline unless I stop at a CNG station and top-off. The computer was programmed to make that switch-over seamless and smooth and the drop off in power is almost imperceptible with this engine and transmission. A side benefit is that the Toyota problem with oil filters and sludge and the like have been completely eliminated by using CNG.

Usually I plug the truck into the at home filling station which allows me to get a special low rate from my utility, PG&E so the cost of driving the Tundra drops from $2.80 a gallon for gas to around half, or less, of that cost.

Most days I don't use any gasoline at all. My oil stocks don't notice at all .... but I sure do.

I did the conversion because, as long as I drive for a living, I have to keep expenses as low as possible and, although it hasn't happened as of Christmas, 2009, I am in deathly fear that when gas goes up again, it will zoom right past the last high to $5.00 and beyond. And stay there.

Then I'll still be able to 'keep on truck'in' so to speak, and continue working.

Then I woke up.

Dang! CRUD!

Although the technology exists, I have not found it. Not that Government will allow me to install and use.

How can I make my dream reality?

theholycow 12-20-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shatto (Post 145481)
A side benefit is that the Toyota problem with oil filters and sludge and the like have been completely eliminated by using CNG.

Is the sludge issue from gasoline blow-by?

(Sorry to drag you off topic so quickly.)

GasSavers_JoeBob 12-20-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 145482)
Is the sludge issue from gasoline blow-by?

(Sorry to drag you off topic so quickly.)

Various articles I have read have indicated that using CNG or LPG instead of gasoline reduces engine wear and reduces contaminates in oil.

So, why, other than the cost, can't you convert the truck? I recall seeing a 1951 Packard for sale many years ago (mid to late '70s) which had a dual system...gasoline and LPG. I was tempted, but at that time $1000 was pretty steep for a really well-worn Packard, and the LPG system was pretty deteriorated. If it had been in good shape, it would have been perfect during the gas-line era.

shatto 12-20-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBob (Post 145484)
Various articles I have read have indicated that using CNG or LPG instead of gasoline reduces engine wear and reduces contaminates in oil.

So, why, other than the cost, can't you convert the truck? I recall seeing a 1951 Packard for sale many years ago (mid to late '70s) which had a dual system...gasoline and LPG. I was tempted, but at that time $1000 was pretty steep for a really well-worn Packard, and the LPG system was pretty deteriorated. If it had been in good shape, it would have been perfect during the gas-line era.

Go to the Amsoil website and look up what your vehicle(s) need. There will be a link to the report as to why. It'll match what Toyota published.
I am somewhat amazed that my truck isn't having the problem.