Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   iOS | Fuelly Mobile (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f41/)
-   -   Fuelly iOS Announcement (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f41/fuelly-ios-announcement-1226.html)

andyrobo 08-22-2013 06:32 AM

Fuelly iOS Announcement

Today we are proud to announce that Fuelly has acquired GasCubby, the leading iOS fuel logging app.

The "fuel-up" process is the heart & soul of any fuel logging system. It should be as easy, fast, & accurate as possible to add data. Although Fuelly has a mobile optimized site, a data connection might not always be available. We want the best experience for our users, and we feel that is a going to mean storing your data locally and syncing to the cloud. You should be able to edit your data from your iPhone, a website or an Android tablet.

We were researching the best and most popular iOS apps on the market and GasCubby was the obvious leader. As we defined what would make for the most efficient fuel logging process, GasCubby has it dialed in. We started thinking "Why reinvent the wheel? Maybe we could join forces?" A few weeks later we worked out the logistics and GasCubby will become the official Fuelly iOS app.

We're planning a total re-write for iOS 7, it will be the foundation for us to iterate on moving forward. Our goal is to perfect the "fuel-up" from native apps and then from there we plan to listen to features requested by members and

At first the name will be changed to Gas Fuelly and the old 'wooden' GasCubby logo will remain the same. We don't want people to look on their phones and not be able to find the app. With time we'll update the logo and the name will simply be the Fuelly app. There will continue to be a full featured ad supported version and a premium paid (ad free) version which will have more features enabled (similar to the current GasCubby FREE and GasCubby paid apps).

Our vision is to provide a cross platform system where users can enjoy a beautiful interface from iOS to Android and even from a mobile or traditional desktop browser. We will remain focused on making sure our fuel-up process is the most efficient possible and look forward to discussing new features with our members as we decide what else to add to our system.

nutmac 08-22-2013 08:12 AM

Great news. I use both Fuelly and Gas Cubby, so full integration between two services I love would be much appreciated.

I am currently using Gas Cubby FREE and if I were to pay to upgrade to the paid version, would you be offering the full update at no extra cost? Or am I better off waiting for the full update?

Any specific time frame? I have signed up for the beta version and I really hope to be chosen.

nutmac 08-22-2013 09:46 AM

Also, Gas Cubby has a lot more fields for each fill-up than Fuelly. How do you intend to merge both data?

P.S. If you pick me as a beta tester (I have signed up already), I would of course love to test all these potential conflicts.

andyrobo 08-22-2013 09:58 AM

Phil,

We're not sure about what features will differentiate the free version from the paid version. We do know that the free version will be ad supported and the paid version will not have ads. We will also look for some other features to provide value to those who want to pay for the app but have not defined them.

As for the extra profile fields, we are in the process of rebuilding our foundation so we can handle more data, some details about this were posted in this other discussion in our forum.

Thanks for offering to help with the Beta testing. We'll need all the help we can get!

jmp316 08-22-2013 12:27 PM

Good to hear, Gas Cubby is a quality app. I'm assuming I can delete the GasTracker + app due to this? GasTracker and fuelly never played well together (since fuelly acquired it its been very glitchy).. Here's hoping the new marriage to Gas Cubby is much more successful...

andyrobo 08-22-2013 01:05 PM

We had a lot of issues with Gas Tracker. After we acquired it the developer was supposed to work with us to fix some issues but he ended up with very little time available. It was built from scraping the fuelly site and then rendering the data via a native app. We just released a new version of Gas Tracker that's partially running through an API and the rest is from scraped content. We had some issues but it should be working okay now. The plan is to keep Gas Tracker live while we work on our new API based foundation and then the Gas Cubby integration. It's going to take us a while so you might want to leave Gas Tracker installed for the time being. At some later date we will probably "brick" Gas Tracker with a link to download the new official app. In the meantime it's a band aid to give people some functionality on the go (it's working better as of yesterday when some API results were fixed).

Fusilier 08-23-2013 09:05 PM

I hope the new/eventual version will allow offline use or at least offline data entry. It would be expensive to turn on data roaming while travelling just to enter fill up data. Some sort of offline data entry / sync function would be great - it would support iPod Touch use that way too.

In the mean time, i'll give Gas Cubby a try in addition to post fillup data entry at home.

Idontpayroadtax 08-23-2013 11:55 PM

Will the gas cubby app be made available in the UK?

jmp316 08-24-2013 10:12 AM

Thanks for the clarification and update. Just as an FYI, I could NEVER get Gas Tracker to work for me (even after last week's update), so I'm still using the web app. When I log into Gas Tracker with my fuelly information, the data is all blank. Reset the phone, uninstalled/installed the app, but still no dice. Thank goodness for a native app that will just WORK soon.

andyrobo 08-25-2013 01:12 PM

Offline mode will be part of the future app, along with available globally.

jmp316 - Try GasTracker again. We had issues with some API requests going back and forth which we were able to fix without a need to push out a new update. It should work, it not, please post back. Thanks.