Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   CRX HF, Civic CX/VX owners, do you get locked out of 1st gear when moving??? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/crx-hf-civic-cx-vx-owners-do-you-get-locked-out-of-1st-gear-when-moving-12298.html)

imzjustplayin 01-21-2010 12:07 AM

CRX HF, Civic CX/VX owners, do you get locked out of 1st gear when moving???

I want to swap in a CX/VX transmission into my car but I'm hesitant to after learning that on one particular hill I have to climb in order to get home, I have to be in second gear to ascend this hill at 25mph. I have learned(?) recently when trying to downshift in my '98 Civic with a M/T, I am locked out of 1st gear unless I come to a complete stop. So my question is, for those with the HF, CX/VX transmissions, have you ever had to ascend a hill in 1st gear because the other gears were "too tall"? And if you did, did you have to do anything special or was shifting into 1st gear not a big deal?

Fuel Miser 01-21-2010 03:31 AM

My '94 VX demands very nearly a complete stop before allowing first to be engaged. Although I've never found a road sufficiently steep to demand first I drive solo and without cargo. I live in the coastal flatlands but take weekly trips to north central NJ and into the Bronx, NY. There are some formidable slopes but not what you might find in other parts. We have a VX member from the Mountain State of W.Va., perhaps he'll reply. Good luck.

Dave's Civic Duty 01-21-2010 03:56 AM

When I down shift for a stop I'm able to go into first at about 10 MPH. I also need the bottom shifter bushing replaced. Feels like every gear is like neutral. So maybe after I fix that I may not be able to as well either.:confused:

Dave

Must be some hill!

Fuel Miser 01-21-2010 04:03 AM

1992-2000 Honda Civic D Series Gear Ratios
https://www.crxmpg.com/1992-2000-hond...s-gear-ratios/

R.I.D.E. 01-21-2010 04:18 AM

Try double clutching it.

Go to neutral, release the clutch, rev the engine to about 3k, depress clutch and engage 1st gear.

regards
Gary

Mayhim 01-21-2010 05:50 AM

I find that adjusting the clutch a bit helps. Also, it's better after it warms up.

It helps putting it in 2nd gear then going to first, too.

ben98gs 01-21-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave's Civic Duty (Post 146583)
Must be some hill!

I agree... Must be some huge 55* grade hill or something. Your car should have plenty of torque in 2nd gear at 25mph to retain speed and even accelerate (even if slowly). There should be no need to downshift into first. I have some "steep" hills in my area (probably about 35-40*) and only have to downshift into 3rd at about 30-35 mph to keep a steady speed on the way up in my '95 Civic DX.

theholycow 01-21-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben98gs (Post 146599)
Your car should have plenty of torque in 2nd gear at 25mph to retain speed and even accelerate (even if slowly). There should be no need to downshift into first.

His car is able to climb it in 2nd, but he's considering a different transmission.

GasSavers_Erik 01-21-2010 07:51 AM

I have the 84 HF trans in my 87 civic. I have to rev it up pretty good (3-3.5 k rpm) if I am climbing a steep hill and need to shift to second and continue the climb. The HF gears are really far apart. I think 25 mph will be fine for climbing a hill in 1st gear.

I have to double clutch if I need to downshift into 1st while still rolling.

My city mpg suffered when I switched to the HF trans and I feel sorry for my clutch when I have to start moving from a stop while on an incline... But the engine is much quieter on the interstate.

ben98gs 01-21-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 146600)
His car is able to climb it in 2nd, but he's considering a different transmission.

Gotcha... Guess I did not realize there was THAT much difference in the gearing. Still kinda new to the Honda thing.