Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Miles per Tank for 12 foot Penske? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/miles-per-tank-for-12-foot-penske-1230.html)

SactoMailman 09-21-2013 12:25 PM

Miles per Tank for 12 foot Penske?

Renting Penske 12 foot truck between Sacramento and Cape Coral, FL Have you calculated what's the average miles per TANK?

I'm renting a 12 foot Penske (Van-like front with box in back) from Sacramento, CA to Cape Coral, FL. My plan is to drive south to Moreno Valley, CA to pick up the stuff and drive to Albuquerque via I-10 to Phoenix then up via AZ-87 to I-40.

After couple days of visiting in ABQ I will then continue to drive from ABQ to Austin, TX via mostly non-interstate roads where I will spend time there for a day before heading out I-10 to Florida and south on I-75. I know it's about 10mpg but my question to Fuelly members if they had driven 12 foot Penske and how many miles from full tank to near empty so I can plan ahead.

Thanks in Advance! :-)

Draigflag 09-22-2013 06:05 AM

10 MPG? Is that a typo? Please dont tell me it runs on petrol and has an auto tranny too...

Charon 09-22-2013 10:46 AM

It undoubtedly runs on gasoline (petrol) and has an automatic transmission. I'd bet for closer to 8 mpg than to 10. The thing is a truck (lorry) and has lousy aerodynamics. Absent more information, I'd plan on filling it every 200 miles. Hope your credit card has a good limit. Keep your speeds under 60 mph or pay the price.

KrisA 09-22-2013 11:10 PM

10, seriously!?

I recently used a Volkswagen Crafter Luton, a similar sized vehcile, a bit bigger actually at 13 feet.

I ran it for several hundred miles, fully laden for most of the time, at motorway speeds, across London and returned just shy of 30 (UK) mpg.

It was a 2 litre turbocharged diesel with a 6spd manual transmission and a pleasure to drive.

Would you be able to hire a vehcile similar to that?

I've just looked up the Freightliner Sprinter, which seems to be related to the Crafter, available in the US, and is fitted with a 2.1 twin-turbocharged diesel, a 7spd transmission, nice!

Charon 09-22-2013 11:55 PM

I did the obvious. I went to https://www.pensketruckrental.com/moving-trucks.html and looked up what Penske says. Truck is estimated to get 12 mpg, has a 35 gallon tank, and has an automatic transmission. That would give it a range of 420 miles per tank.

Draigflag 09-23-2013 01:17 AM

Is every vehicle in America designed to guzzle fuel like this? Its laughable that a vehicle this size runs on gas anyway, the auto tranny makes it seem even more of a joke. A vehicle this size should get at least 25 to 30 MPG, you are being ripped off big time!

bates 09-23-2013 10:06 PM

Penske rentals along with several other companies like Ryder and Uhaul are designed for average American Drivers to be able to rent one and drive it themselves. They are all equipped with an automatic transmission since few drivers licensed in the US in the last 20 years can drive a manual transmission and most of us who have been licensed for more than 20 years haven't driven a stick in years. Most if not all are equipped with gasoline (petrol) engines because diesel is not as prevelant and the idea is to make them user friendly, not require drivers to go to truck stops and the like to refuel, another factor is that very few drivers have diesels here on this side of the pond so many renters would just drive straight to the nearest gas station and pump the same thing into the truck that they put in the personal cars, gasoline in a diesel isn't a good mix.

@SactoMailMan, I would suggest heading up to I 40 from Moreno Valley via the 215 to the 15 to the 40 East rather than taking the 10 to Phoenix if you're concerened about speeds. The 10 in that corridor tends to have very fast moving traffic and the speed limit once you cross the Colorado River into Arizona goes up to 75 or 80 mph if my memory serves. Also, you would be well served to fuel earlier rather than later when the opportunity affords itself. That truck may have a hard time fitting under the roof line at some gas stations and you don't want to be sweatting it on fumes only to pull up to a service station only to realize that you're clearance height won't allow you access to the pumps. I've been there done that in the past with a full sized Chevy Van and a "car topper" aluminum boat on roof racks, not fun.

Charon 09-23-2013 11:36 PM

I am disappointed. I was eagerly awaiting the line about fat, lazy Americans who can't be bothered to learn to drive manual transmissions.

More seriously, a vehicle getting 25 mpg at 60 mph is burning about 2.4 gallons of fuel per hour. Gasoline engines are hard pressed to get over 11 horsepower-hours per gallon. That means it is making maybe 26 horsepower, and it will only be that efficient at wide-open throttle. I'd like to see anyone push a vehicle that size and shape at 60 mph with 26 horsepower.

Draigflag 09-24-2013 01:54 AM

Power means nothing, it's torque that matters. Havnt you seen the clips of a tiny Land Rover play tug of war with a huge 6.0 L Dodge? My friend drives a huge truck that weighs over 20 tonnes fully laden, it only has 200 HP but the torque is insane. Torque is another thing Americans struggle with, no offense.

Charon 09-24-2013 02:29 AM

Power is torque multiplied by engine speed. Engine torque is multiplied in the gear train and ends up producing ground thrust through the drive wheels. Thrust moves the vehicle, and it makes little difference whether the thrust is produced by a small high-revving engine geared down a lot or a large slow-turning engine geared down less. The 26 horsepower I used as an example equates to about 162 pounds of thrust at 60 mph. The vehicle doesn't care how the thrust is produced.