Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   DIY frame rot repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/diy-frame-rot-repair-12369.html)

theholycow 02-13-2010 07:53 AM

DIY frame rot repair

How hard is it to hack up frame rot repairs that will be safe and pass inspection? On Craigslist I'm constantly seeing vehicles that are in otherwise great condition but are being practically given away because of frame rot that fails the state safety inspection.

Can it be done without welding, with cheap materials, as long as you don't mind that your vehicle is hacked up? Or would I have to invest the saved money in welding equipment that I want anyway?

VetteOwner 02-13-2010 09:10 AM

prolly 2 plates and grade 8 bolts on either side of the frame channel

but, if its rotted enough to rust thru not sure if theres going to be enough metal to grab to when u drill holes

Reddharlem 02-14-2010 12:30 AM

Do not be retarded and try some DIY plates and bolts ghetto repair.
Do it the right way and take it to a reputable shop to get repaired.
Or you could learn how to weld and fix itself yourself the right way.
Please do not let the car be held together with cheap fixes on important parts of the car.

Project84 02-14-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddharlem (Post 147747)
Do not be retarded and try some DIY plates and bolts ghetto repair.
Do it the right way and take it to a reputable shop to get repaired.
Or you could learn how to weld and fix itself yourself the right way.
Please do not let the car be held together with cheap fixes on important parts of the car.

Agreed.

Welding isn't hard, and you'll find it to be a HUGE convenience once you get pretty good. $200-400 should be plenty to find good equipment on craigslist, or to learn and get started, $120 would buy you everything you need at Harbor Freight.

I would NEVER EVER try bolting frame repairs together... that's just borderline insane.

You'll find that frame rot that is bad enough to fail a safety inspection will be found around mounting points of suspension parts... and in those areas, you better be a very good welder, and know what you're doing. 1* out of spec on a patch plate can yield very bad results. Vibrations, alignment, stress points on other parts, etc.

I'm not a great welder, but I manage and I'm getting better. I don't think I'm anywhere near good enough to weld a repalcement subframe. Not really because of the welding, just because of the other factors and need of absolute precision.

VetteOwner 02-14-2010 10:20 AM

yea if its near critical suspention parts id say the car is nearly a lost cause or be way to much time and or money to fix...

GasSavers_JoeBob 02-14-2010 09:18 PM

Take a trip out here to California, get a nice replacement frame w/o rust.

R.I.D.E. 02-15-2010 04:48 AM

I have done many thousands of dollars of frame repair.

Get something like a Lincoln Sp100T that runs on 110 current. Nice MIG welder that will do the job just fine. I have one in my garage.

Materials are not that expensive, but you need to be meticulous about your work. You will also need a decent compressor and something to cut out the bad spots.

Are you talking about unibody or separate frame vehicles?

In either case you can reincarnate otherwise great cars, especially in places where the salt damage is bad.

Its a lot easier if you can arrange to do very little overhead welding. I have the scars on my arms to prove that point!

Make patterns and learn to shape metal with a hammer and a leather bag filled with sand. Some consider it an art, and it can be profitable since most of those type repairs are generally charged at $100 per hour. It doesn't take much to send a car to the junk yard.

regards
Gary