Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-12433.html)

VetteOwner 03-03-2010 09:34 PM

hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

First off, ive read every book in that series and just picked up "And another thing" written by Eoin Colfer as the 6th book. (he wrote it from notes Douglas Adams had written down before he past) (HAVEN'T READ IT YET SO DONT RUIN IT!!!!!)

people on amazon review it pretty decent, not like the other books, he tried to write in his style and made a OK book outa it so ive heard its worth reading. I bought it for $6 from barnes and noble on the bargan books table haha so i feel its gonna be well worth $6:p

anyways, i LOVED the series, movie was great, but need to find more books to read.

Thats the problem, im not sure who or what other series is like the Hitchhikers series, where its sci-fi, but funny and not too far out there. Anyone read any books like the hitchhikers?

GasSavers_JoeBob 03-03-2010 10:01 PM

It's not quite Hitchhikers, but many years ago I read the "Illuminati" trilogy...would love to find and read them again...see if I'd still like it...

theholycow 03-04-2010 02:29 AM

The Salmon Of Doubt is, as I remember, partially a half-finished Adams book and partially finished by someone else. I know I enjoyed reading it.

Adams' other shorter series, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul, is great. Read both.

When you say you 'LOVED the series', do you mean the book series or the BBC TV mini-series? If you haven't seen the BBC's film adaptation from 30 years ago, you really should. I liked it far better than the recent movie.

Terry Pratchett is supposed to be pretty decent, often compared to Adams. Endless discussions comparing the two ran on usenet newsgroups for years and probably still do. I tried a couple times and couldn't get into his books.

Have you read the short story "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe"?

I'll have to check out "And another thing", I haven't heard of it.

Jay2TheRescue 03-04-2010 03:24 AM

When I was in high school I found the first 4 books in one huge volume on clearance @ Books-A-Million. I enjoyed it. The BBC miniseries was good, and I agree the recent adaptation sucked. None of them were half as good as the books were though. A lot was cut out, even on the miniseries.

--42--

markweatherill 03-04-2010 03:55 AM

I wonder if any of you have listened to the *original* BBC Radio 4 series?
I used to listen to it but nowadays I'd find it juvenile and embarrassing along with the books. I think Adams got a few concepts from an earlier book called 'Dimension of Miracles' by Robert Sheckley.

theholycow 03-04-2010 04:40 AM

I have not listened to the radio series. I have read the radio scripts, but I'm just not into listening to a radio show.

VetteOwner 03-04-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

The Salmon Of Doubt is, as I remember, partially a half-finished Adams book and partially finished by someone else. I know I enjoyed reading it.
yea ive read all of them. i got that one big book that has all the books in it

Quote:

Adams' other shorter series, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul, is great. Read both.
i have i accidently read the last one first but eh they were still pretty good

Quote:

When you say you 'LOVED the series', do you mean the book series or the BBC TV mini-series? If you haven't seen the BBC's film adaptation from 30 years ago, you really should. I liked it far better than the recent movie.
loved the book series, i knew there was the mini TV series but havent found them easily. recent movie was decent, kept me entertained at least, actually saw the movie first then read the books:p

Quote:

Terry Pratchett is supposed to be pretty decent, often compared to Adams. Endless discussions comparing the two ran on usenet newsgroups for years and probably still do. I tried a couple times and couldn't get into his books.
ill have to look him up, any books by him you can recommend?

Quote:

Have you read the short story "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe"?
yea its included in one of the big book of complete series lol

Quote:

I'll have to check out "And another thing", I haven't heard of it.
like i said i haven't started it yet but amazon reviews say people seem to be in the middle. If you can find it at barnes and noble for $6 prolly worth it.

theholycow 03-04-2010 10:00 AM

The Salmon Of Doubt is in the big collection book you have? I have The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide and it does not have The Salmon Of Doubt.

I've ordered And Another Thing to be picked up at my library. It will cost me nothing to read, so I won't worry about potentially wasting $6.

VetteOwner 03-04-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 148525)
The Salmon Of Doubt is in the big collection book you have? I have The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide and it does not have The Salmon Of Doubt.

I've ordered And Another Thing to be picked up at my library. It will cost me nothing to read, so I won't worry about potentially wasting $6.

hmm ill have to make sure on the salmon thing but if not you bet ill be picking that up:D