Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   My new car to test my lean burn chamber (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/my-new-car-to-test-my-lean-burn-chamber-12558.html)

pgfpro 04-17-2010 09:51 AM

My new car to test my lean burn chamber

I just bought a 1991 Eagle talon TSi AWD with a automatic transmission.

I'm building and engine similar to my Honda engine so it will be a Performance/FE type build utilizing my lean burn prechamber.

I did some baseline testing to see what it does for mileage in stock form. It got 20mpg freeway so i will have my work cutout for me.

I will also have a way to control shift points via the TCU so it will have a better economy version plus performance and control of the line pressure.

Where I live we are known for having bad winters so the AWD will come in handy and it will also be are camping vehicle.

GasSavers_Erik 04-17-2010 01:20 PM

Interesting-

Do you have any pics of your lean burn prechamber? Is it anything like the late 70's-1987 Honda CVCC precumbustion chamber?

spotaneagle 04-17-2010 02:13 PM

this is one of the smartest guys on here

pgfpro 04-17-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 150382)
Interesting-

Do you have any pics of your lean burn prechamber? Is it anything like the late 70's-1987 Honda CVCC precumbustion chamber?

At this point I don't have any pics. I'm refining the chamber and it does have some issues I need to address before I will show pics.

Its kinda built around the idea of the CVCC but has its own unique design. That is it can be made to install on any engine.

I should be able to pull off a freeway mileage of 35mpg with this setup on my Talon for a 75% gain in fuel mileage.

fowljesse 04-17-2010 07:15 PM

I'd like to see you work on a car that gets good mileage to begin with. AWD auto... Well, it's a challenge!
I bet you could break the magic 100mpg barrier in a Metro.
I would love to know more about your prechamber, and see pics, too.
75% gain sounds great.

pgfpro 04-19-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowljesse (Post 150400)
I'd like to see you work on a car that gets good mileage to begin with. AWD auto... Well, it's a challenge!
I bet you could break the magic 100mpg barrier in a Metro.
I would love to know more about your prechamber, and see pics, too.
75% gain sounds great.

I would love to test this in a Metro engine. I just have to many irons in the fire so to speak.

trmclaren 06-30-2010 05:08 PM

Doing this with a DSM. Me my self i wouldnt do it. Plus a lean burn chamber turbo cars hate to be lean. It will start to detonate very bad. Please dont do this to a beautiful DSM

DRW 06-30-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trmclaren (Post 152561)
Doing this with a DSM. Me my self i wouldnt do it. Plus a lean burn chamber turbo cars hate to be lean. It will start to detonate very bad. Please dont do this to a beautiful DSM

There's a difference between running lean at WOT and running lean during cruise. I've been running leaner than 18:1 during light cruise for over 5 years on my car. It still has the stock engine with over 268K miles on it.

At WOT I run 11.0 AF ratio with appropriate timing on 91 octane and 22 psi of boost.

theclencher 06-30-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgfpro (Post 150399)
I should be able to pull off a freeway mileage of 35mpg with this setup on my Talon for a 75% gain in fuel mileage.

How do you figure?

trmclaren 07-01-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRW (Post 152577)
There's a difference between running lean at WOT and running lean during cruise. I've been running leaner than 18:1 during light cruise for over 5 years on my car. It still has the stock engine with over 268K miles on it.

At WOT I run 11.0 AF ratio with appropriate timing on 91 octane and 22 psi of boost.

now i understand man LOL...:D