Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   civic vx owners (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/civic-vx-owners-12612.html)

preboss 05-10-2010 03:26 PM

civic vx owners

I am curious about lowering the stance of my vx and its effect on gas mileage .
Anyone out there with a vx that is lowered , I am interested in your opinions.

GasSavers_TomO 05-10-2010 06:10 PM

The best way to lower the VX and still retain OEM ride quality is to switch to struts/springs/shocks from an 89-91 Civic/CRX. This will lower the car roughly 1.5"-2" and still ride factory smooth.

Depending on your budget, you can buy all new and be set for about 15+ years. Or you can buy Tein H-Tech or S-Tech springs HERE if you want to stay in the real of the 92-95 struts.

But those springs cost more than what I got a whole OEM 89-91 Civic/CRX for with new struts.

If you go with 89-91 suspension, you must get the front strut forks as well (to fit the front struts properly).

As far as the effects on MPG, lowering a vehicle has some but little effect.

imzjustplayin 05-10-2010 11:41 PM

I really can't recommend lowering your car because my civic is currently lowered quite a bit and it's driving me nuts. Ride quality sucks (clearly from lowering springs) and I scrape against EVERYTHING! Yes had the previous owner used coilovers, this wouldn't be as bad but I hate having to "fall into" my vehicle as it's so low to the ground.

If you want to improve your aerodynamics, don't lower it, instead add an underbody belly pan. By doing this, not only will you improve aero, but it also reduces road noise as well. The civic could really use a belly pan and I'd imagine some big gains can be had with one. I plan on putting one on my civic after I get the exhaust wrapped. (That way, I can cover the entire bottom of the vehicle.)

imzjustplayin 05-10-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 151086)
The best way to lower the VX and still retain OEM ride quality is to switch to struts/springs/shocks from an 89-91 Civic/CRX. This will lower the car roughly 1.5"-2" and still ride factory smooth.

Depending on your budget, you can buy all new and be set for about 15+ years. Or you can buy Tein H-Tech or S-Tech springs HERE if you want to stay in the real of the 92-95 struts.

But those springs cost more than what I got a whole OEM 89-91 Civic/CRX for with new struts.

If you go with 89-91 suspension, you must get the front strut forks as well (to fit the front struts properly).

As far as the effects on MPG, lowering a vehicle has some but little effect.

That might not be a good idea when you consider that those vehicles weigh less than even the VX by quite a few pounds. Spring rates might not be sufficient or the springs themselves not bulky enough to handle the weight of the portlier VX. There is a reason why the CRX HF and not the VX is the king of fuel economy when it comes to Hondas. (weight)

GasSavers_TomO 05-11-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ************* (Post 151089)
That might not be a good idea when you consider that those vehicles weigh less than even the VX by quite a few pounds. Spring rates might not be sufficient or the springs themselves not bulky enough to handle the weight of the portlier VX. There is a reason why the CRX HF and not the VX is the king of fuel economy when it comes to Hondas. (weight)

There is some truth to that, but you have to remember that The Civic/CRX Si (2300lbs), DX (2100lbs.), weighed more than the VX. The spring rates are nearly identical (within 25lbs. of the VX springs). It's just that the assembly is shorter overall but still retains the same amount of shock travel.

I've been running the 89-91 setup for a few months now and have not bottomed out the shocks at all. And I take clover leaves fast as well as have done some ice races on this suspension with no ill affects.

jmf 05-12-2010 02:36 AM

I was wondering if my 17 year old springs were already lowered? How much sag is there in the springs over time?

GasSavers_TomO 05-12-2010 06:53 AM

I can't say for certain about the sag of the OEM springs but they don't sag much more than 1/4" - 1/2" if they are not cracked/broken.

IndyFetch 05-12-2010 04:25 PM

I installed Eibach Pro lowering springs/shocks on my VX a few months ago. The ride quality has diminished somewhat (it should get less choppy when I replace the worn-out bushings). I like the lower stance, but keep in mind that I used to have a lowered '99 Civic Si. The springs and shocks improved the handling by quite a bit. (Think: If you do not have to slow down for corners, you do not have to accelerate back up to speed; hence better mileage). The dive and squat are much better, although the body roll is still too much for me. I would like to add some anti-roll bars and a strut tower brace to finish the job.

To answer the original question, I did not see a significant mileage difference after lowering the car. Then again, there are a lot more variables that affect the car.

mini-e 07-07-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetch (Post 151143)
I installed Eibach Pro lowering springs/shocks on my VX a few months ago. The ride quality has diminished somewhat (it should get less choppy when I replace the worn-out bushings). I like the lower stance, but keep in mind that I used to have a lowered '99 Civic Si. The springs and shocks improved the handling by quite a bit. (Think: If you do not have to slow down for corners, you do not have to accelerate back up to speed; hence better mileage). The dive and squat are much better, although the body roll is still too much for me. I would like to add some anti-roll bars and a strut tower brace to finish the job.

To answer the original question, I did not see a significant mileage difference after lowering the car. Then again, there are a lot more variables that affect the car.

I put Eibach sport lines (a bit stiffer than pro lines) on my 96 d16y5 converted civic dx hatch and did pick up a bit of mileage. I also installed a coroplast belly ban around the same time. I think Fetch and I both lean towards the performance end of things, and often performance and efficiency can go hand in hand.
The gain was less than 5%, but certainly outside of the range of statistical noise, and the car is way more fun to drive. It also has dunlop star spec tires which are quite sticky on HX wheels. I truly do not need to slow down in many many instances where I would with stock struts and springs. I like the firmer precise ride. It depends on your tastes, and pro lines are variable rate spring: a bit softer in the first part of the travel, so the ride would still be quite comfortable (for me anyway...).

hondaguy72 10-26-2010 08:51 PM

Re: civic vx owners

My tein s tech springs with tockico blues ride fine, but it is a fairly big drop. Have not put enough mileage on to know what the effects are. A grille block might do as much good.