Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Minor driving rant... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/minor-driving-rant-12622.html)

theholycow 05-13-2010 05:16 PM

Minor driving rant...

Today I had to drive through Worcester, MA to get to Route 146. I expected it to suck. Often, it does. Today it did not suck.

I got on 146 and that's when stuff began to suck. Traffic wasn't heavy but every one of the few drivers was driving like a jerk. Not severely so.

The limited access freeway portion of 146 has had its surface ground in preparation for new pavement. It is by far the smoothest grinding job on which I've ever driven. It's better than most RI roads are when they haven't been ground up.

I'm doing approximately speed limit +3mph. A Prius passes and continues zooming along. I'm getting 44mpg, which is the best I ever get, and I rarely get it if I do any highway driving.

I pass a rest area. The Prius comes accelerating out of the rest area just in time to cut me off and go speed limit -15mph. I DFCO, not tailgating but not leaving my usual huge following distance, while I wait for two cars in the left lane to clear so I can pass. The Prius driver immediately sprays his washer fluid, obviously for my benefit.

The left lane traffic clears and I pass. My wife in the passenger seat reports that the Prius driver is laughing at me. I'm wondering if he has managed at least my 44mpg. I get in front and give him a rearward squirt from my modified rear window washer.

I've forgotten the rest of the string of mild annoyances until after I stopped at a pizza joint to pick up some late supper. Once again I'm on ground pavement, only this is RI-style - very rough, with tire-busting manhole covers sticking up four inches. No tires will be busted today, though...I'm in 1st gear behind a line of traffic following a construction crew rolling along picking up orange cones.

Freed from that annoyance, I'm driving along and behind me comes a late model full size pickup with what appear to be the brightest non-HID OEM low beams I've ever seen. Eventually another lane opened up; when the truck passed I saw that it was a Toyota Tundra.

Jay2TheRescue 05-13-2010 05:43 PM

Sounds like you had an awful day...

VetteOwner 05-13-2010 09:33 PM

lol toyota > YOU

theholycow 05-14-2010 02:31 AM

It wasn't awful. Those were mild annoyances...

theholycow 05-14-2010 04:35 AM

Actually, the part where I was in 1st gear for ten minutes was awful -- because it was 8pm, I was starving, and I could smell the food I just picked up in the car.

bowtieguy 05-14-2010 12:45 PM

yup, those ARE just minor inconveniences. those happen to me on a daily basis. of course, having a large vehicle around brings out the worst in drivers.

sometimes i'll play w/ them when my truck is empty. if they try to pass me, i get on it, and often times keep them from getting in front of me. :p you'd be surprised how fast my truck is when the turbo kicks in.

Jim T. 05-14-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 151208)
yup, those ARE just minor inconveniences. those happen to me on a daily basis. of course, having a large vehicle around brings out the worst in drivers.

sometimes i'll play w/ them when my truck is empty. if they try to pass me, i get on it, and often times keep them from getting in front of me. :p you'd be surprised how fast my truck is when the turbo kicks in.

I think you did that to me (tried) on I-4 a couple months ago near the rest stop eastbound, didn't work did it? MY turbo spools quicker. :p
I love when people want to play "not in front of me" on the road. :p

I'll slide the 14'6" Mazdaspeed into a 15' hole!

Jim

bowtieguy 05-14-2010 04:13 PM

could have been me. problem is, my truck is governed for 62mph :mad: , so i have limits in how much can be played.

it's just senseless when they just HAVE to get in front of me, and then brake for a turn. if they only realized the physics involved in stopping a heavy vehicle.

Jay2TheRescue 05-14-2010 04:20 PM

I don't mind if people pass, but 90% of the time (or more) I'm using the cruise control. I'm going a STEADY speed. Don't pass me then slow down.

theholycow 05-14-2010 05:39 PM

I hate when people pass and then slow down.

I do like when they pass and continue driving faster than me. I prefer it instead of having them wait behind me.